Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Vision question

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Vision question

Postby bradensmom » Tue Sep 14, 2004 01:13 pm

by bradensmom (8 Posts), Tue Sep 14, 2004 01:13 pm

My son just went to his two month check-up and the doctor said he wanted to keep an eye on how his vision develops. The doctor said he is not focusing the way that he should even though his eyes seem to be working the they are supposed to. As he put it all the wiring is correct but he is not able to focus on anything yet. I had noticed this at home as well but just thought it was due to being born premature. I am going to take him back in in a month and then he may possibly have tests done if there are no changes.

Has anyone's baby had vision problems that got better with time or any problems simular to what Braden is going through? Is it posible that he is just slow at developing his vision?

Heather

DS Jared (1-28-98) induce at 40wks w/PIH
DS Riley (11-21-00) C/S at 37 wks w/mild PE
DS Braden (7-09-04) C/S at 35 wks w/severe PE
bradensmom

Re : Vision question

Postby wcarder » Tue Sep 14, 2004 01:28 pm

by wcarder (934 Posts), Tue Sep 14, 2004 01:28 pm

Hey, Heather.

My daughter was born at thirty weeks and had to have some additional eye exams done during infancy, that ended up being fine. Later on, her pediatician thought she was demonstrating symptoms of amblioplia (Lazy eye, essentially) which can be common in preemies. I began noticing it in every picture I had of her, when I never noticed it before. Anyway, she was seen by an opthamologist who found her eyes and vision were perfect, but he continued to monitor her every six months. At one point, it was suggested she may need a patch, or even glasses to correct it, but she is five now and managed to bypass all of that, and is doing just fine.

Hopefully that is somewhat encouraging. Do you know exactly what they are looking for? Good Luck. Keep us posted.

Wendy

DD~ Kenzie Celeste, 30 weeks GA, severe PE.
wcarder

Re : Vision question

Postby samarasmom » Tue Sep 14, 2004 04:00 pm

by samarasmom (560 Posts), Tue Sep 14, 2004 04:00 pm

How early can a lazy eye start. I take Samara in for her 2 month appt. next week. She is still cross-eyed. Also she doenst have tears yet and no nose bridge so i am under the assumption that she is going to be like Isaiah with no nose bridge and Nasalacrimalduct obstruction.

Sandra 23
Michael Abron ( fiance)
Elijah Kristopher Michael Abron ( 43 wks no complications) 5/6/99
Isaiah Liam Abron ( 37 wks PE and Preterm labor) 3/25/02
Samara Juliyana Abron ( 35 wks PIH and poss PE ) 7/21/04
samarasmom

Return to Parents of Preemies