Max had RSV shots his first year. And surprisingly the Pedi wants him to have shots this year too. He hasn't had any breathing problems in the last 6 months, but the Pedi said she will put the fear of god in the insurance company that if they don't give him the shots, he will end up in the hospital, and that will cost them a lot more. We have really good insurance, so I don't think it will be a problem getting the shot. And I read some where if the child has a heart defect (Max has pulmonary stenosis, narrowing in a valve) they can also qualify. So maybe he qualifies under that condition. Either way, it is your doctor who needs to work with the insurance company to get this covered, they are always more effective.
As for the original question. Max never had an allergic reaction to the shot, and we have never had to wait 20 mins after the shot to see if he had a reaction. My understanding was the wait after was only during the early days of Synagis, so I am surprised to hear so many of you have to wait. We do have to wait the 20 mins after max is weighed, but we usually spend this time feeding him. And technically, the shot isn't a vaccine. It is considered more like a flu shot. It releases antibodies into the system that fight the virus. It lasts for 30 days max, so most babies are on a 28 day schedule so they avoid hitting weekends on the shot schedule. Your baby can still get RSV even if they have the shot, but the symptoms are usually less than they would be without them. And as someone mentioned, the year after your baby finishes the shots, a parent needs to be extra deligent. Because they baby has not had the virus on their own, they have not made any antibodies on there own, so they are at an increased risk of getting RSV a little worse than other children who are not preemies. I say this only to remind parents to be cautious when there child is sick with any breathing difficulties and be sure to get them to the pedi as soon as they suspect something is not right.
DH, John (36)
Max, 1/20/03, 25 wks, 1lb. 3ozs. (IUGR), severe PE
#2 is on the way, EDD at 36.5 weeks is 3/24/04