Synagis (RSV) Vaccine

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
stacyc

Re : Synagis (RSV) Vaccine

Postby stacyc » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:45 am

Sandra

My girls we're born at 24wks and weighed 1.8lbs and 15ozs (4mos in the NICU). Before ins will cover the RSV shot, she would have had to be less than 1500g and considered a preemie being born earlier than 35wks. She would also have to have a lot of breathing problems within the last yr, meaning going to and from the ER and or Neb treatments at home. My girls did get the shot the first yr but this yr they will not get it since they haven't had any problems this last yr. Just keep everyone's hands washed and use lots of hand santizer and try not to go many places. That's what we do.

Olivia & Elizabeth
24weekers
1/27/03

samarasmom

Postby samarasmom » Fri Sep 24, 2004 08:34 am

Her doc would love for her to get the vaccine BUT her insurance will not approve because she is not 8 wks early. That is so stupid to me. SHe is still a preemie and in a high risk catagory. I may fight the Insuracne company on this. I would love for her to get this to help her. I cant stand the thought of her being that sick

Sandra 23
Michael Abron ( fiance)
Elijah Kristopher Michael Abron ( 43 wks no complications) 5/6/99
Isaiah Liam Abron ( 37 wks PE and Preterm labor) 3/25/02
Samara Juliyana Abron ( 35 wks PIH and poss PE ) 7/21/04

samarasmom

Postby samarasmom » Thu Sep 16, 2004 08:46 pm

I read up on the RSV and the risks. I think Samara will qualify,they said that even 33-35 wkers are at a large risk for a bad RSV. Plus she has a little brother ( big to her) that is at risk AND she is in daycare. I hope she can get the vaccine. But that is up to her doc and I know that he will make the best choice for her. I will let yall know next wk

Sandra 23
Michael Abron ( fiance)

tahoe4

Postby tahoe4 » Thu Sep 16, 2004 02:15 pm

Another qualification for getting Synagis is if they would be exposed to any children, such as brothers or sisters or any kind of a daycare situation before the RSV season was over. That's the only reason we qualified along with her being 6 weeks early.

Stephanie

Casey - DD born 12/25/02 at 6 weeks premature due to eclampsia
Bella - DD born 6/4/04 at 38 weeks. No complications from pre-eclampsia at all!

samarasmom

Postby samarasmom » Thu Sep 16, 2004 09:55 am

Thanks ladies. I am worried about Samara getting it. I read and always hear that the highest risk is for babies more than 4 wks early and Samara was 5 wks early.
RSV is so scary. Isaiah was 3 wks early and he didnt get RSV until last winter and my baby was extremely sick and had everything you could think of.He had RSV, bronchiolitis, strep, pnemonia in both lungs and double ear infections. He ran a fever of 104 for 7 days before he was hospitalized when he couldnt hold down a bite of popsicle for more than 5 min and no matter what form( oral or suppository) of Tylenol he got it didnt touch his fever. I am scared if Samara gets it since she is at increased risk for being sicker. I plan to ask next wk about the shots since I have to get my boys Flu shots and will ask if he feels she should have them. Thanks again

Sandra 23
Michael Abron ( fiance)

sarab
Site Admin

Postby sarab » Thu Sep 16, 2004 08:46 am

Sandra,

The huge drawback to Synagis is that it is EXTREMELY expensive -- ONE shot runs anywhere from $1000-2500 (dosage is based on wieght, so the bigger the kid, the more expensive), and that's EVERY 28 days. The baby has to meet very strict criteria for most insurance companies to even touch it. There are very stingy about who gets it and who doesn't. Maggie was born in June, and by July we were already filling out paper work to make sure everything was "cleared" by October.

If I remember right, we "qualified" for Synagis coverage because Maggie weighed less than 1500 grams at birth, was born before 32 weeks gestation, and had been on a ventilator for any period. I think, at least with our insurance, that kids born later than 32 weeks still qualified if they had chronic lung disease and other risk factors.

Like Donna said, it wouldn't hurt to ask your doc about it. Good luck!

Sara, 24
Local Coordinator, Utah
Moderator, "After Your Baby is Born"

DH, Scott, 26
Maggie Lylas, 6/9/03, 29 weeks, severe pre-e
Surprise, surprise! #2 EDD March 10, 2005

http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/maggielylas/

raindrop

Postby raindrop » Wed Sep 15, 2004 08:14 pm

Wyatt had 3 last season and he never seemed to show any side effects either.

Sandra I catn recall all of the req. but the ones I remember are. born early (forget how much early it said) I think before 34wks but the 34wks had to have 2 other factors as well, such as like Wyatt a chronic respiriatory problems other kids in school, Oh I cant recall the other reasons, but those were the ones Wyatt fit under. If DH hadnt threw the paper away, I would know it all. They sent it to me telling me they were doing the paperwork for Wyatt for this season.

If you think she is at risk, it wouldnt hurt to ask, all the insurance or the docs can do is say she doesnt qualify. Good Luck

Donna - 32
Richard - 33
Whitney Lynn Rochelle- 6-27-99 - (36 wks due to severe PE) 5lbs 2oz 18in long
Wyatt Elijah Lawrence- 7-3-03 (34wks 6days due to severe PIH/PE) 4lbs 6.8oz 17in long
Expecting #3 EDD March 3, 2005 - gallstones

http://www.geocities.com/raindropzplace/Wyatt.html?1057812569412

http://www.imagestation.com/member/?name=raindrop1971

samarasmom

Postby samarasmom » Wed Sep 15, 2004 07:01 pm

HEY LADIES QUESTION? What are the requirements for the RSV shot. My kids never had it though they werent preemies except for Samara and it was never brought up. Should I bring it up with her doc? Thanks ladies

Sandra 23
Michael Abron ( fiance)

aimeejane

Postby aimeejane » Wed Sep 15, 2004 02:33 pm

I think the only lasting effect of Synagis that Nicky had was a horrid fear of his pulmonologist's office!! LOL He's fine now...loves going to the doctor. I agree that these were the easiest vacs he got...it's just that he had to get so many of them!

Aimee
Georgia State Coordinator
Moderator - Pregnant Again

Ds Nicky - 3/24/00 (28 wks - eclampsia)
Ds Kalen - 7/10/03 (36 weeks - preeclampsia)

anissa

Postby anissa » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:50 am

My daughter, Olivia, alvso received Synagis from October through May. She didn't show any adverse side effects either. She showed more side effects from recieving the regular vaccinations. I also agree that the "hurry up and wait" was the only draw back.

Anissa(25)
Mommy to Olivia (Livie)
born at 31 weeks dut to PE
2 lb. 14 oz. 15 in.

Return to “Parents of Preemies”