sort of OT ~ but worried about my girl...

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

sort of OT ~ but worried about my girl...

Postby wcarder » Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:44 am

Kenzie is a bit of a drama Queen, and a little spoiled at that. It's totally in her charecter to go overboard to get some attention (i.e. she often lies, or is overly dramatic...). I don't know why she has this need for attention. She is the FARTHEST thing from ignored, although it's become a big issue since I started working full time a year ago...
Anyway, she CHOKED last night on cheese quesadilla at a restaurant. It was horrifying, and an ambulance was called and I was hysterical...I am sick even thinking about it now...She didn't breath for about two minutes, she turned purple, and her eyes were pouring out tears, but she couldn't make a sound. And everything I did was ineffective - I couldn't help her. The whole restaurant got involved, and THANK GOD, a wiatress managed to dislodge a huge ball of cheese from her throat...
Long story short, it was a HUMUNGOUS, and HORRIFYING ordeal. Well, today I got a call from her teacher at lunch saying Kenzie shoved an entire piece of pizza in her mouht as if she were trying to chooke herself, and her after school sitter just called to say she did the same with her snack...
Is she doing this on purpose? Did she somehow enjoy all of the terror she caused last night and the attention she got from it? has anyone dealt with this before?
I have a call into her pediatrician right now, but if any of you can help me feel like less of a failure as a mother, I could sure use some PF hugs....

Wendy
DD~ Kenzie Celeste, 30 weeks GA, severe PE
wcarder

Re : sort of OT ~ but worried about my girl...

Postby mada » Fri Sep 17, 2004 01:07 pm

Wendy,
I am so sorry for that episode last night. I can't imagine how terrified you were. I am so glad Kenzie is okay. YOu know, I've heard from many of my friends and family that kids will go to extreme lengths to get attention. Even if attention is something not lacking in their lives, children (well a lot of them anyway) love to be the center of attention. Obvioulsy you will be having a talk with her about this and maybe there is something going on with her that's making her behave this way. Maybe the recent start of school or something going on with new frineds at school. Who knows..the mind of a 5 year old is so complicated. Please do not feel like a failure...Our children are going to break our hearts over and over again. The concern and attention you are giving this situation with oyur daughter only proves that you are a very good mother!! Hope the pediatrition can give you some insight. Hugs!! Mada

Mada Harpster-moderator for pregnant again

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Postby space_coaster » Fri Sep 17, 2004 02:18 pm

Wow, Wendy, how awful that must have been for you. I sure hope that Kenzie's doctor can give you some advice for getting her to realize she can get attention in more positive ways.

{{{{Hugs}}}} and glad that Kenzie is okay.

Jocelyn (36)
Mommy to Michelle Elizabeth, 8/25-9/1/04, 24w1d, 1 lb 3 oz, severe PE/HELLP syndrome

Michelle's memorial page: http://www.geocities.com/jfiorello68
space_coaster

Postby jenn » Fri Sep 17, 2004 02:40 pm

I sent ya' an email hun..
Hugs to you all for what you have been through.

Luv- Jenn

Jennie (25)
Shad (29)
Jaidyn (3) @30 wks
Severe PE/HELLP
2lb. 12oz.
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/j/jaid/

Natalia Rosse
Due: 11.25.04
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/n/nataliarosse/

http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?Ucollid=182798555105&Uphotoid=588409555105&collid=182798555105
jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby anissa » Fri Sep 17, 2004 03:35 pm

Big hugs to both you and Kenzie (By the way, where did you get her name? It's beautiful.). I've had a similar experiences with Livie, my 15 mo old.

Livie has started the habit of choking herself. It doesn't matter if it's her fingers or whatever food item that she's eating, she just shoves them down her throat. It's really frightening especially because I'm not sure why she's doing it. I would like to think that its because she's learning her body parts [:D] but I'm afraid that she 's really craving attention.

Has Kenzie ever done this before now?

Anissa (25)
Mommy to Olivia born 9 wks early due to severe PE
anissa

Postby laura » Fri Sep 17, 2004 06:14 pm

Wendy-- you know what I've noticed sometimes with my own kids? If something scares them, and I mean REALLY scares them.. sometimes they'll focus on it, and keep replaying it trying to get control over it. I would wonder if she was 'choking' herself to see if she could 'fix' it this time, since the other day it was so scary and out of control. Have you talked with her about it yet? As moms, we identify so closely with our babies that sometimes we forget that they have a take and a perspective on things like that too.

And I know how you feel. Cami found a little styrofoam bead from a bean bag chair that'd split at the seams and choked on it, and eventually passed out. I was hysterical- and I shook the rest of the night. I still get sick thinking about it. That's sooo awful-- hugs, honey!

Laura
Administrator/AK Area Coordinator

Alicia (severe PE) 5/98 ~ Camille (htn, oligo) 4/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby mom2gigi » Fri Sep 17, 2004 09:13 pm

YES! I agree with Laura, I notice Gigi does things like that too, like replays event to try and control them. It's interesting, but difinitely give your Doc a heads up of what going on.
Hope you are feeling better!

Adriana

Giselle - 35wks, severe preeclampsia by emergency c-section.
mom2gigi

Postby samarasmom » Sat Sep 18, 2004 09:17 am

I am so sorry you had to go thru that, I took CPR and when Isaiah was choking on a Dorito one day I had no clue what to do. My sister had to grab him. When you tipped him back he could breath but when you tipped him back up he couldnt breath. Its so scary.

I hope that your doc can help you. elijah is very emotional and tries to get alot of attention so his doc recommended that he have some counseling. I am not sure what your daughters doc will want her to do but I hope that you work it all out soon.

Take care and I hope no more episodes for you

Sandra 23
Michael Abron ( fiance)
Elijah Kristopher Michael Abron ( 43 wks no complications) 5/6/99
Isaiah Liam Abron ( 37 wks PE and Preterm labor) 3/25/02
Samara Juliyana Abron ( 35 wks PIH and poss PE ) 7/21/04
samarasmom

Postby wcarder » Mon Sep 20, 2004 06:00 am

Hey, gilrs....

Thank you, thank you for your support....the pediatrician said that this can be normal, especially considering I just got married in April, we live in a new house, Kenzie started a new school, etc. It's A LOT of change for her and she may be feeling a little out of control...Regardless, what she is doing IS dangerous, so she recommended that if this doesn't STOP NOW, I maybe take her to a counselor who can maybe better help her understand what she is doing. But I talked to her in LENGTH about how dangerous choking is and how important it is that if something is upsetting her, or if she is afraid, or if she just needs some hugs, that she use her words and talk about those feelings...the weekend went off without incident, and I almost feel like she FORGOT (we made sure not to make a bigger deal out of it, after our conversation with her). So, hopefully this was an isolated incident and she will come away from it now...*sigh* Oh, my crazy noodle....(;

Anyway, thank you all again so much for sharing your experiences - it's REALLY comforting to know that you have all dealt with similar stuff. Phew! Thought my girl was going off the deep end and it was all my fault!!!!

AND, thanks, Anissa - I actually have no idea where Kenzie came from. I wanted to name her Celeste so bad, but her dad said no, and at the time, i cared. (dumb) (; Out of nowhere, she became Kenzie Celeste. Everyone calls her McKenzie though, and it drives me nuts!!! (:

Anyway, thanks again, guys!

Wendy

DD~ Kenzie Celeste, 30 weeks GA, severe PE
wcarder

Return to Parents of Preemies