They wanted to give max his 1st shots before he left the hospital, at 3 months actual. And we agreed. But most of the babies in the NICU had there shots at 2 months old (actual) I think Max's were later because he had an infection almost the whole time he was there.
After we had the first set of shots, I did some research. I came to the conclusion I wish I had waited to give Max his shots even further. So I talked with my Pedi. She is great. As long as I have a shot schedule, she is OK if I want to delay the shots, because most of these diseases are not prevelant. and i agreed if they saw a rise in any cases, I would vaccinate immediately. So, I have Max on a very conservative shot schedule. He only gets one shot a month, which works out fine because he has RSV shots, so he was at the docs office every month for awile. During the summer we had a little break, but by the time he is two years actual, he we only need 2 more vaccines to be caught up. He has never had a reaction, and I am glad for peace of mind the Pedi agreed to let us do what we want. I think she felt we had educated ourselves enough that she was confident we were not putting Max at risk.
So I say, go with your gut, and read up. If you want to delay all shots to the adjusted age, most doctors won't fight you on it. The NICU will probably give you the hardest time, because they have a check list before discharge. But you are the parent, so do what you are comfortable with.
DH, John (36)
Max, 1/20/03, 25 wks, 1lb. 3ozs. (IUGR), severe PE
#2 is on the way, EDD at 36.5 weeks is 3/24/04