Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Vaccination question for 27wkr

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Vaccination question for 27wkr

Postby mlcoltrain » Sat Sep 25, 2004 07:10 am

by mlcoltrain (72 Posts), Sat Sep 25, 2004 07:10 am

I was just wondering when other preemies started their vaccination shots. At there actual or adjusted 2 month point. My DD was born on 7/24/04 at 27.5 weeks (doing really well, though still in the hospital). Yesterday the nurse mentioned getting consent for her 2 month vaccination shots. I thought vaccinations weren't started until she was 2 months adjusted (would be about 5 months actual). I'm sure hospitals and doctors are all different was just wondering how it went with your preemie.
mlcoltrain

Re : Vaccination question for 27wkr

Postby mom2tori » Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:01 am

by mom2tori (3842 Posts), Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:01 am

Congratulations on your new daughter! My daughter was born at 30 weeks and spent almost 6 weeks in the NICU. All of her shots were given at her actual age not her adjusted age. She was born at 2 pounds 7 oz and came home at 4 pounds 4 oz and since that time she has done very well and you would never be able to tell that she was so little when she was born, no one believes us when we tell them! The vaccinations never really affected her accept for a slight fever and a little crankiness. I hope that helped a little although I think the doctors around here base the vaccinations on preemies more on an individual basis rather than a set time. Hope things continue to go well for you and your daughter, congratulations again. God bless.

Alissa (23) mommy to:
Dominic 9/10/97-9/11/97
Victoria 1/8/02
mom2tori

Postby hannahsmom » Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:29 am

by hannahsmom (1141 Posts), Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:29 am

Hmmm...I don't remember if it was actual or adjusted. Hannah was in the hospital for 4 months and I do know that she got her vaccinations while still in the NICU. The sad thing was that she didn't even cry because she was used to always being in pain. I just agreed to everything they wanted to do for her, and she turned out perfect. Good luck!

Suzanne
Mommy to Miss Hannah Rose
26.5 weeker born 8/24/01
severe pre-e & IUGR
1 pound, 1 ounce
12 inches
Miracles do happen!
hannahsmom

Postby deerhart » Sun Sep 26, 2004 08:58 pm

by deerhart (3282 Posts), Sun Sep 26, 2004 08:58 pm

both of my boys were born much later (37 and 36 weeks) but we did delay their vaccinations by a little bit. Alex was getting his about a month or so behind schedule for the first year and Mason was doing about the same 3-4 weeks behind. We did do the other shots right at 18 months.

The nice things about most vaccines is they have a range for when the next one has to be taken and its usually a good 1-3 month range so you can adjust things out. We were also more comfertable giving the vaccines when neither of the boys had ANY reaction to them at all (no swelling, pain, redness, or fever)

Erin

Moderator - Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex (4)and Mason (1 1/2)
Law Student - 1 year done, 2 to go
deerhart

Postby maxs mom » Mon Sep 27, 2004 03:05 pm

by maxs mom (594 Posts), Mon Sep 27, 2004 03:05 pm

They wanted to give max his 1st shots before he left the hospital, at 3 months actual. And we agreed. But most of the babies in the NICU had there shots at 2 months old (actual) I think Max's were later because he had an infection almost the whole time he was there.

After we had the first set of shots, I did some research. I came to the conclusion I wish I had waited to give Max his shots even further. So I talked with my Pedi. She is great. As long as I have a shot schedule, she is OK if I want to delay the shots, because most of these diseases are not prevelant. and i agreed if they saw a rise in any cases, I would vaccinate immediately. So, I have Max on a very conservative shot schedule. He only gets one shot a month, which works out fine because he has RSV shots, so he was at the docs office every month for awile. During the summer we had a little break, but by the time he is two years actual, he we only need 2 more vaccines to be caught up. He has never had a reaction, and I am glad for peace of mind the Pedi agreed to let us do what we want. I think she felt we had educated ourselves enough that she was confident we were not putting Max at risk.

So I say, go with your gut, and read up. If you want to delay all shots to the adjusted age, most doctors won't fight you on it. The NICU will probably give you the hardest time, because they have a check list before discharge. But you are the parent, so do what you are comfortable with.

Kara (34)
DH, John (36)
Max, 1/20/03, 25 wks, 1lb. 3ozs. (IUGR), severe PE
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/mightymax/

#2 is on the way, EDD at 36.5 weeks is 3/24/04
maxs mom

Postby peanutsmom » Tue Sep 28, 2004 05:48 am

by peanutsmom (465 Posts), Tue Sep 28, 2004 05:48 am

my DD got all of her shots at her actual age, not adjusted. There was one at the beginning that they split into two doses, but I can't remember which one it was. I trusted her doc to know what the best plan was. If you are unsure, get a second opinion. You have to trust your doc and your own instincts as a mom.

Dawn
Carolyn born at 36 weeks- PE with severe HELLP
#2 due 3/05
peanutsmom

Return to Parents of Preemies