Breastfeeding question

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Re : Breastfeeding question

Postby angelkat » Sun Sep 26, 2004 07:23 pm

Hi Rachel,

The only thing I can think of is a nipple shield. My Best friend is a LC for the NICU Katlyne was in and I can't tell you how many times she would suggest Nipple sheilds and it really seemed to help out.

This time around, I found myself more impatient with the staff of the special care nursery and would have rathered Casey went to the NICU instead of staying in special care.

Hope the BFing gets easier for you! Sending you HUGE HUGS....

Moderator Grief and Loss
Mommy to
Drew(14)PE 37 wks
Ky (12)PE 34 wks
~i~ Katlyne(12/9/02-04/02/03)25 wks
Casey - 34wks Born 7/29/04
Katlyne's Tribute Site

Re : Breastfeeding question

Postby mada » Sun Sep 26, 2004 05:57 pm

Hi rachel, I am sorry you are having a difficult time..It's not unusual for preemies to have these difficulties. The link above is a whole topic dedicated to nursing...maybe you can find some goog suggestions there..Goodluck and I am so glad Amelia is home!! We would love to see some pics of her!!

Mada Harpster-moderator for pregnant again

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.

Breastfeeding question

Postby raetay » Sun Sep 26, 2004 05:27 pm

So, my second preemie was born about two and a half weeks ago at 34 weeks. She just came home yesterday - yippee! - and I'm struggling a bit with breastfeeding. She latches on well, takes a few sucks, and then spits it out. She's getting frustrated - unaware that the milk comes from the breast. She showed some intolerance to formula in the NICU and so it is critical that she get this breastfeeding thing. I did work with a Lactation Consultant in the hospital and she just told me to keep trying, that Amelia just needed practice. But we've been working on it for about four days now and she doesn't seem to be progressing. Does anyone have any experience/ideas on this? My last preemie, a 28-weeker, never did breastfeed. He had a weak suck and couldn't latch on. I pumped for four months until my milk dried up and I couldn't get it back.
Thanks for any thoughts you have!

PS - Has anyone found it incredibly traumatic to have a second preemie, even if it's an older one?

Mom to Isabelle, Isaac and Ethan (28 weeks, PIH) and now Amelia (34 weeks, PIH)

Return to “Parents of Preemies”