Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Follow up on breastfeeding question

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Follow up on breastfeeding question

Postby raetay » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:28 am

Hi all:
Thanks so much to all of you who answered my questions about my 34-weeker not breastfeeding. I have another one now. So, Amelia started breastfeeding -yippee! I just kept working with her until we finally got the milk to come and then she figured it out. It still takes a while to get her into that rhythmic sucking that brings the milk, but she's made huge progress. But she can't breastfeed often. Once or twice a day is it. She is mostly still sleeping through her feedings and I am waking her up to eat. With a bottle, she just sucks it down in her sleep and stays asleep. Two days ago she had a great day where she breastfed for four feedings in a row - once for 20 minutes! But since then she can't wake up to eat. My other son (a 28-weeker with severe BPD) was like this, but I expected it because he was so weak from breathing so hard and fast all the time. (It's why he never did have the strength to breastfeed and had an NG tube for the first 9 months of life). But Amelia would have been 38 weeks now, has no respiratory problems, and weighs nearly 5 pounds. Shouldn't she be strong enough to nurse at every feeding now? If any of you experienced this, was there a certain age or weight at which your child became strong enough to breastfeed well? I am struggling with production and wanting this to progress more quickly than it is.
Thanks for any thoughts you have!
-Rachel

Mom to Isabelle and Isaac, Ethan (28 weeks, severe pre-e) and now Amelia (34 weeks, pre-e)
raetay

Re : Follow up on breastfeeding question

Postby angelkat » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:55 am

Rachel,

Might I suggest putting her to the breast for all feeds so she isn't confused.
I put a little bm on my nipple and from then on it was so much easier. Casey gets one bottle a night Neosure with BM so I use the playtex nursers.

Good Luck!!!!

Hugs
~T
Moderator Grief and Loss
Mommy to
Drew(14)PE 37 wks
Ky (12)PE 34 wks
~i~ Katlyne(12/9/02-04/02/03)25 wks
Casey - 34wks Born 7/29/04
Katlyne's Tribute Site
http://forevernetwork.com/lifestories/lifestory.cfm?Archive_ID=10971&Directory=/Archives/MountHope&Sort=V
angelkat

Postby youtan » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:18 am

Rachael,

Thanks for your email. I agree, I think if you can, try to breastfeed her exclusively. They learn so early that bottles are easy to suck, compared to Mom! Unless you're worried about her gaining weight, I would stick to breastfeeding. It should help your production, too. I would really ask a lactation counselor for an opinion, and stressing that you'd like to exclusively breastfeed. They are likely to tell you that the pump is still necessary until your supply is up...

Wish I could have been successful with that. My 32 wkr was put on a bottle in the NICU (and their bottles just leak out the milk). He was able to breastfeed, but I was unable to be at the hospital for 100% of the feedings, and of course, I had to pump (NOT AGAIN...). When he came home from the hospital, I should have lost the pump and just exclusively gone to breast - tho' I was so worried about his weight gain, and by then my production was poor and he was already used to the leaky bottles. That and the doctors didn't like that idea. I also went back to work soon after. It was a struggle.

Anyway, good luck with your feedings. The few times that mine actually got it going, was just an amazing experience.

Tanya

mother of:
son: 5 yrs, PE/HELLP 27 wks, 1lb 10oz
son: 2 yrs, PIH/low fluid 32 wks, 4lb 8 oz
youtan

Postby tafkap » Tue Oct 05, 2004 01:15 pm

Hey there!

Ditto what the other posts have said- unless you are worried about weight gain, just continue to offer the breast. She'll let you know when she REALLY wants to eat.

Kate didn't figure it all out until her due date- so your little pumpkin is doing a GREAT job. I would say YES, they definitley are still too weak and tired to keep a regular schedule, but that's just my non-medical opinion.

Congratulations on continuing to BF- I know it's tough and you deserve a LOT of credit!

~Jess

dd Katherine Grace born
10-13-2003
34weeks,6days,39minutes PIH/ Pre-E www.coreyandjess.info
Europe with a baby! Check out our pics!
tafkap

Postby raetay » Wed Oct 06, 2004 08:02 am

Aye, there's the rub! She won't wake up to breast feed. I offer the breast at each feeding, sometimes she won't even wake up to latch on. Or if she does latch on, she just takes a few sucks and falls back asleep. That's why I give her the bottle - she can suck it down in her sleep. If she didn't have the bottle, she wouldn't be eating enough. Weight is an issue, so I can't let her wear herself out breastfeeding. I just thought she'd be stronger by now and taking more feedings by breast. Just a matter of time?
Thanks,
Rachel
raetay

Postby youtan » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:13 am

Rachael,
That sounds so familiar. Falling asleep. My little one did the same thing. Apparently he was so comfy and secure he felt like sleeping instead of eating. My non-medical, personal advise (based on the lactation consultants I worked with) is to a)rub the little one's cheek as they try to suck. They can eat and sleep at the same time, but they may need some stimulation around the mouth to remind them of their task. b)just be patient and always offer the breast before the bottle. Hopefully by being consistent eventually your little one will catch on as she grows stronger. c)I've heard of people keeping a bottle on their shoulder with a little tube that comes out at your nipple, so that they are getting their milk even tho' they may be too weak to suck for long periods of time as a kind of simulation.
So, yes, I think its a matter of time. I have admiration for your patience! Good luck and let us know how it all turns out!
Tanya

mother of:
son: 5 yrs, PE/HELLP 27 wks, 1lb 10oz
son: 2 yrs, PIH/low fluid 32 wks, 4lb 8 oz
youtan

Postby pugmommy7 » Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:55 am

I used an sns and it worked wonders. It gave more milk with less work b/c it was gravity fed.
I really think it can be a great alternative to bottles and eliminate nipple preference.
If you are ever interested in talking about it w/ me fee free to pm me.
good luck,
love,Jennifer

Jennifer, 30
DH, Chris, 33
Mama & Daddy to:
Isabella Sofia,1/02/03 born @ 33.5 weeks at 3 lbs,6oz., 16". GD,
Pre-E,& borderline HELLP.

Catalina Amelia,5/29/04 born @ 36.2 weeks,4 lbs.,12oz.,16"
GD,PIH,& Pre-e
pugmommy7

Return to Parents of Preemies