RICE CEREAL ANYONE?

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
peanutsmom

Re : RICE CEREAL ANYONE?

Postby peanutsmom » Wed Oct 06, 2004 06:17 am

my DD had some hard stools when we introduced cereal that made her constipated. My doc said to put a teaspooon of Karo syrup in her bottles when that happened. It was great! No more screaming and crying while trying to poop. We had to do that for a while- until we introduced fruit juice, then it wasn't an issue anymore. Good Luck!

Dawn
Carolyn born at 36 weeks- PE with severe HELLP
#2 due 3/05

matts_mom

Re : RICE CEREAL ANYONE?

Postby matts_mom » Wed Oct 06, 2004 00:47 am

during my pregnancy and after matthew was born i had a couple people tell me that their babies were big eaters from day one and to make sure the baby slept thru the nite pablum was added to the last bottle of the nite, just to "plump up" the formula. i know the health nurse and my mother told me to feed only breastmilk or formula until about 6 months. i think it mostly has to do with making sure the baby is getting a proper diet. if it helps ease samara's vomitting i would go with it. of course her poop will change cuz she is going from a liquid diet to having some solids there.

andrea(35)
dh reg(52)
matthew-born Feb 6, 2004, at 34 weeks due to hellp syndrome (4lbs 10 ounces)

samarasmom

RICE CEREAL ANYONE?

Postby samarasmom » Tue Oct 05, 2004 06:37 pm

Well Samaras projectile vomiting was getting worse for the GERD and on top of that that is the reason for her apnea monitor.
Anyways a friend who had seen it suggested i put rice cereal in her formula to stop the vomiting.
I did it and it stopped the vomiting but another friend was worried taht it could hurt her.
So I called the doc and asked and he called back personally which I thought meant that he was going to yell at me but instead he said to go ahead and do it if it stopped her vomiting.

HOwever I noticed a change in her Stools. Has anyone done this early and did they have any changes. Hope someone can help

Sandra 23
Michael Abron ( fiance)
Elijah Kristopher Michael Abron ( 43 wks no complications) 5/6/99
Isaiah Liam Abron ( 37 wks PE and Preterm labor) 3/25/02
Samara Juliyana Abron ( 35 wks PIH and poss PE ) 7/21/04

Return to “Parents of Preemies”