Post Reply FAQ Members Login

RICE CEREAL ANYONE?

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Re : RICE CEREAL ANYONE?

Postby nicoleharrison » Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:18 am

by nicoleharrison (249 Posts), Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:18 am

Hi Sandra!

I had a very similar problem. My son Noah has severe Reflux/GERD and had swallowing studies done when he was only 6 pounds. They put him on a couple meds (one of which he is still on) and also had us thicken his formula (when I was breast feeding I thickened it with a gel I got in the NICU that was safe to thicken breast milk with). We started with rice cereal and ran into the same problem. Our neonatologist and pediatrician both suggested switching to oatmeal or barley cereal as they have more fiber. It really helped. Sometimes we would also add a little prune juice to his bottle as well. He's almost 20 months now and still has it, but I am hopeful he will get better without requiring surgery.

Good luck and hope she continues not vomiting! :)

Nicole

Nicole Harrison

Ohio Coordinator
Mom to Noah 2/17/03 (born at 26 weeks, severe PE)
nicoleharrison

Postby caitlynsmama » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:11 am

by caitlynsmama (436 Posts), Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:11 am

I have been putting an ounce or less in Caitlyns bottles all along to help her with the spitting up and to maintain her weight gain. She does have some constipation but the older she gets, the better it seems since I also give her some calcium like yogurt, or some other form of milk. Her doc wants her off of formula but I am waiting until she is ready (another month or so) since when I tried regular milk, she refused to drink it. Hang in there, listen to the docs, it helped Caitlyn. Has your child been checked for hernias? Caitlyn had three -two bilateral and her belly button.

Shannon Mommy to Caitlyn Elizabeth 30 weeks, 3 days born (8/26/2003) early due to PE, IUGR, HELLP syndrome, premature rupture of membranes
caitlynsmama

Postby season » Mon Oct 11, 2004 06:39 pm

by season (1416 Posts), Mon Oct 11, 2004 06:39 pm

caitlynsmama - I have heard that he best way to wean from formula to milk is to start by mixing the two. 1/3 milk 2/3 formula at first and then slowly adjust from there, until she's on all milk.

As for the original question from samarasmom. I think that if it's siggested by the docotr to help with reflux it's probably OK. I knwo formula and cereal can both lead to constipation. I have heard it recomended to give soem prune juice to counteract this.

Hope that helps. :)

SueAnn
dh Kwame
ds Ezekiel 1/2/02 (34wks due to pre-e)
dd Naomi 6/25/04 (38 1/2 wks PIH)
season
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Parents of Preemies