Post Reply FAQ Members Login

update on Caitlyn and verbal skills

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

update on Caitlyn and verbal skills

Postby caitlynsmama » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:23 am

Update on Caitlyn and a verbal skills question

I am coming out of lurk mode to give an update on my Caitlyn (former 30weeker born August 26, 2003) Well, we have made it through the first birthday, the new crawling stage, the pulling up everywhere stage and wanting to play with anything and everything but her toys. She is fascinated with bits of dirt, and everything else she can find. She has a pretty good attention span when she is examining things. She seems to be one of those babies who likes to find out how things tick. She is not walking yet but is crawling everywhere and can only be confined when she is in her play pen for a short period of time. She is pulling up a lot though everywhere she can so I am sure walking is somewhere around the corner. She is scheduled to get her flu shot next week at her doctors. I am not getting her the RSV shots this year under the advice of her doctor since she has no real problems with her lungs. AS preemie parents, is this a problem?

My main question to anyone who may answer, how can I work on her verbal skills? She tries words like baby, doggie, mama, and dadda. Mainly though she loves to sound like a baby monster. Growling and babbling away. Anyway suggestions? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Shannon
Mommy to Caitlyn Elizabeth

Shannon Mommy to Caitlyn Elizabeth 30 weeks, 3 days born (8/26/2003) early due to PE, IUGR, HELLP syndrome, premature rupture of membranes
caitlynsmama

Re : update on Caitlyn and verbal skills

Postby paljane8 » Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:37 am

You are a great mommy to Caitlyn. It is wonderful that you want to help her verbal progress. If she is saying 'doggie, mama, dadda' etc she is doing well. By a year the average child has 5 words in their vocabulary. (Preemies tend to catch up to full-termers by the age of 2) 2 sylable words are great and the ones she has chosen are very age appropriate. 'D', 'M' and 'B' sounds are the easiest to make and the ones they learn first. Growling and babbling are great developmental milestones in pre-language. Some of the things our ST's (speech therapists) recommend are mimicking her and her sounds. Answer back. Look her right in the eyes and talk to her and let her 'talk' back (for now...it may be a different story when she is a teenager :)). Reading, particularly rhyming books, help with language development as does music and singing. I'll bet you know and are doing most of this stuff anyway. We work with a st (among other therapists) twice a week. Janie can say and sign a few words. She has worked hard and it is slow going. But, this is the info they have given us. By 14-18m Caitlyn should start to really start to explode in how quickly she picks up words. By 18m she should have 15 words other than 'mama' and 'dadda'. Babies also start combining 2 words-like up now, down dad etc. Your doc can give you a developmental milestone chart and you can find where she should be according to an adjusted age (if applicable) if you want. I personally hate the charts because it is a reminder of where we are not. Keep us updated. I love to hear Caitlyn's progress. It is good to hear from you again. Janie is 17m-if you can believe it!

Nancy Eastwood
paljane8

Postby tafkap » Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:39 am

quote:
Originally posted by caitlynsmama
She is scheduled to get her flu shot next week at her doctors. I am not getting her the RSV shots this year under the advice of her doctor since she has no real problems with her lungs. AS preemie parents, is this a problem?

Hey Shannon! Congrats on making the one year mark. Our baby will be one year this week- it goes so fast, doesn't it?? I'm glad you are getting the flu shot. We have a serious shortage here and it's a relief to know that our high risk babies are on the priority list. I am not sure on the RSV shot- if Caitlyn is in daycare I would think this is a HUGE priority. If she is at home with you this can make a difference. (Our doctor said that because of this Katherine is not as at risk as other children because she is not as exposed).

quote:
My main question to anyone who may answer, how can I work on her verbal skills? She tries words like baby, doggie, mama, and dadda. Mainly though she loves to sound like a baby monster. Growling and babbling away. Anyway suggestions? Thanks for any help you can give me.

I'm actually studying this right now. I've posted some a link to a page that has several links on this topic that I hope you can find helpful. The biggest thing is how YOU talk to her. Baby talk is cute but does little to encourage verbal skills development. Talk to Caitlyn like you would to any adult.
-Read Outloud. There are some clever toys out there that assist with reading/verbal skills (such as the Leap Pad, which Katherine LOVES) but there is truly no substitute for you simply picking up a book and reading it to her.
-Baby sign Language- my teachers are still out on this one but about half think it helps to develop language and half think it inhibits language development- at any rate, it's interesting and certainly something worth looking into. : )

http://www.kinderstart.com/childdevelopment/speechverbaldevelopment/

It sounds to me like she is doing fabulous and you are doing a great job! She's certainly doing more than most babies at her age!

~Jess

Jessica- Colorado Volunteer
dd Katherine Grace born
10-13-2003
34weeks,6days,39minutes PIH/ Pre-E www.coreyandjess.info
~5 lbs lost! 17 weeks to goal weight- then TTC #2!~
tafkap

Postby deerhart » Mon Oct 11, 2004 02:50 pm

Mimic her sounds and just keep talking to her. As the words come in start to length her words by adding like 1 word (so she says soemthing like drink and you repeat want drink, when she starts to say want drink then you expand by saying I want drink etc.. antoher example would be car, red car, red car go).

Also rmeember with any developmental stages they are ranges, such that some kids are at the early end and some at the later end. Mason actually has just recently had a language burst right before his 2nd birthday at 23 months, our oldest sone Alex had the same burst at 25 months. Both were in the normal range (while Alex 6 months later had fallen out of range).

Antoher thing to remember in speech is that the words don't have to be perfect or even sound right to be words. As long as she makes the same sort of sound that represents the same idea over and over then she is grasping hte concept of langauge and eventually the word will start to sound right.

GL
Erin

Moderator - Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex (4)and Mason (1 1/2)
Law Student - 1 year done, 2 to go
deerhart

Postby kylesmom » Mon Oct 11, 2004 05:58 pm

Nice job, ladies! As a Speech Therapist in the Birth-to-Three System, I am thrilled that you guys can rattle all that off! To weigh in on the Baby Sign issue- I believe that it will help to facilitate spoken language. It helps kids who might be frustrated at not being able to express themselves and if you use it with spoken words, it helps so much with understanding that language is more than just talking! Reading and singing are so important in developing language. Modeling a slower speaking rate is important too. Also, naming everything and simply describing your actions and what she is doing while she is doing it will help too. Kids need to understand words before they can actively use them.

I agree with Nancy too- charts can be frustrating. Try to consider if Caitlyn is expressing herself somehow- is she pointing at things, making choices between water and milk, etc.? Is she social? Is she identifying things in books? Its great that you are seeking info on this, lots of parents just hope that a weekly visit with a speech therapist will 'cure them' and I spend tons of time explaining the need for parent-led language therapy the rest of the week. Good for you and happy talking! [:D]

Jennifer 33
Kyle born 8-13-03 @ 38 weeks (PE and Class I HELLP)
Connecticut Coordinator
kylesmom

Postby caitlynsmama » Tue Oct 12, 2004 06:29 am

It sounds like I may be doing the right things then. I love to see her face light up when I sing the ABC’s to her and end it with “Now Caitlyn knows her ABC’s next time hope she will sing with Mommy”. I have been her cheerleader since birth saying things like C A I T L Y N spells Caitlyn, yeah Caitlyn. I know, I know corny but I can tell you guys this being mommies and I am sure you will understand. My husband just laughs at me. She also loves the patty cake song and the itsy bitsy spider song. She loves the Baby Einstein videos and Disney Playhouse. I guess I am headed the right direction. I have not seen a speech therapist but have just been talking to her constantly since she was born. Both my mother and my husband also say I talk to her like she is an adult but I am still amazed to this day that she is here and she is mine. After going so long with not having any idea that I could get pregnant, what do they expect:o)

She has not been in daycare (yet).... My mom and his mom have taken care of her but it is beginning to be that time where I need to start shopping for day cares. I just don’t have a clue how we are going to afford it. We make decent money between the two of us but you know what I mean? Also, we are hoping to try for another next year between my trying to lose some weight and getting some other health issues straight. I think Caitlyn will make a great big sister.

Sorry to babble, I don’t have a lot of mommy friends to talk to and I appreciate all your input. It is great to know you all are out there.

Shannon Mommy to Caitlyn Elizabeth 30 weeks, 3 days born (8/26/2003) early due to PE, IUGR, HELLP syndrome, premature rupture of membranes
caitlynsmama

Postby deerhart » Tue Oct 12, 2004 07:45 am

Anytime Shannon!

Its not easy to deal with kids in general sometimes, but adding in the extra stress and worry about delays or working through delays it can be overwhelming and extremely emotional. The really good news is the best thing is early intervention and the progress kids can make is amazing. Alex has been in thereapy for almost 2 years now and the difference in him is unbeleivable. He went from a 2 1/2 year old that would barely put 2 words together and never talked to other kids to the big brother that can now answer most of our questions and tells his little brother to come on Mason lets go play!

Erin

Moderator - Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex (4)and Mason (1 1/2)
Law Student - 1 year done, 2 to go
deerhart

Postby kylesmom » Wed Oct 13, 2004 06:24 am

Shannon- It sounds like you are a wonderful language model for Caitlyn! Talking to her like she is an adult is sooo much better than 'baby talk.' See? You have natural instincts. [:)] I didn't have a lot of mommy friends for awhile either, but I joined a playgroup in my town. (I sent you an email about it) It definitely helps to be with other moms and babes around the same age.

Jennifer 33
Kyle born 8-13-03 @ 38 weeks (PE and Class I HELLP)
Connecticut Coordinator
kylesmom

Postby paljane8 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 09:59 am

Wow, Shannon, you are amazing! Caitlyn is lucky to have you for her mom. I love to hear Caitlyn's reactions to you-it is sweet and she is such a little miracle that I know you treasure. Because Janie's reactions are few and far between I feel like I live vicariously through you all. Thank you for sharing those sweet experiences. Keep us updated, ok?

Nancy Eastwood
paljane8

Postby jjbeck1 » Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:54 am

Thought I would chime in here re: speech dev. There are tons of useful tools. Sigh can be helpful, but if you decide to do this...or any type of use of gestures...it is very important imo to be sure to consistantly pair the sigh or gesture with the spoken word and to encourage the same for the baby. It will speed things up. PIC ID can be very helpful as well. A photo album of familiar and everyday people and things in babys life can help. Singing is great too. Espceially songs where you are using gestures...ex: wheels on the bus, I love you, B I N G O etc.
One of the things I used to do with songs like this is to pause a bit ex: When doing the wheels on the bus beging singing "the people on the bus go" and here I might pause but and you might be surprised to hear baby get the word out " up" to continue with the song. Though I try not to pause for too long to avoid frusteration. The same can be done with counting and doing ABCs.
Email me anytime if you want help with this.
Good Luck

Jen 32
DH Bob 36
DD Ava 4/19/04

mainiacs97@aol.com

preg high bp, abruption, iugr, hyperemesis
jjbeck1

Return to Parents of Preemies