feeding question

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

feeding question

Postby mlcoltrain » Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:14 am

My dd was born on 7/24/04 at 27.5 weeks (original due date 10/19/04). She finally came home from the NICU last week on 10/8/04 on an apnea monitor and oxygen. She has been doing well at home. The NICU told us to keep her on the same schedule she was on for feedings until she started eating more at one sitting, then we could move to every four hours if we wanted. However, starting on Wed. night she would get really fussy at night and would only seem to calm down if she slept on DH's chest. Last night after her 3am feeding I was able to get her to sleep in her bassinet, but DH feed her at 6am and she wouldn't go down for him, he tried to put her down and she burped while laying down and then got really fussy, so I am thinkgin that it might have been the gas, DH said he probably could have put DD back down after a bit, but he fell asleep and didn't wake up till her 9am feed. But last night is the only night since Wed, that she would go down during the night. During the day if you hold her for a bit when she is fussy she will eventually go down, and she sleeps really well during the day. Also her feedings are screwy, at 12am, 3am, 6am, and 9am she will eat almost a full 2oz's of formula, but the rest of her feedings for the day (noon, 3pm, 6pm and 9pm) she doesn't seem to want to eat as much, she does eat at least 1oz though, usually a little more. When we left the NICU they said that as long as she was getting a minimum of 320cc's a day it was ok and her schedule as it is she is getting enough, but it just seems screwy that she will take more at night then during the day and it just suddenly started out of the blue. We saw her regular doc this past Monday and will be going back again this coming Monday (he wants to see her every week for a while to make sure she is gaining weight ok). I'm am not too worried about her gaining weight b/c she is eating, but am a bit confused at her schedule. Any advice, comments, suggetions would be greatly appreciated.

Michelle
mlcoltrain

Re : feeding question

Postby mom2tori » Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:15 am

Michelle, congrats on your daughter finally coming home. I felt more like a mom when my daughter came home than when she was in the NICU. I don't really have any advice but to me it sounds like your daughter is just trying to find a routine that fits for her. Some babies are easily molded into a schedule that you set for them and others do everything they way they want. I personally would think that she is doing good as long as she is eating and as long as she seems content. It took us a long time to get Victoria to sleep when we thought she should sleep ( at night ) but now she is the best sleeper. When she was little she went through the phases where she would guzzle every drop and other days she would take a few swallows and be done. She still goes through those days! My best advice would be if you have some concerns ask your nurse on call or your doctor. Your daughter sounds like she is doing great though, as far as coming home and eating. Congrats again and enjoy every second of being able to cuddle your girl because she will grow up so fast and you will miss the days when you could sit in the middle of the night and watch her sleep. I know I miss those days!! I hope things continue to go well for you and baby!!

Alissa mommy to:
Dominic 9/10/97-9/11/97
Victoria 1/8/02
mom2tori

Postby raetay » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:41 am

Hi Michelle,
I'm actually impressed that your baby is drinking 2 oz at a time! My little guy (born at 28 weeks) also came home on oxygen and an apnea monitor. He was too weak to drink from a bottle for a long time, however, and had to have an NG tube until he was 9 months old. I had to wake him up every three hours for months! Your daughter may just have her day/night cycle confused. You've probably heard this, but I've heard that if you avoid stimulating them during night feedings (i.e., avoid talking, keep the lights low, etc.) that they won't want to stay up. She'll probably figure it out soon. Congrats on getting her home!
-Rachel
raetay

Postby annes » Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:08 am

I am amazed that you have kept your baby on such a good schedule! Our NICU schedule was gone within a couple of days. I did notice that Parker seemed to sleep a lot all day and was awake more at night. I spoke with one of the nurses from the NICU, and it turns out Parker was a favorite with one of the night nurses, who carried him around with her all the time while she did her rounds! He had his days and nights mixed up. It took a while to get his schedule corrected, but I tried to keep him up, a little more, during the day. I hated to keep him up, because I wanted him to sleep and grow, but it did help. Things are so different (and much better) for the little ones at home, there is so much stimulation and change that it is hard to keep that NICU schedule. My son gained a pound in 1 week of being home, after taking 1 month in the NICU to do the same[:I]. Good Luck!

Anne
DH Richard
Parker 7/6/03(severe pe)33wks
Pregnant again (OOPS!), due June 2, 2005
annes
Forum Moderator

Postby allic » Mon Nov 01, 2004 01:41 pm

I'm nursing my second and there are days when she would barely go for five minutes at a feeding. I thought for sure she wouldn't gain weight, but she did. That is your best indicator. If your baby is eating the allotted amount that your doctor wants her to, I wouldn't stress out too much.

The not sleeping at night stinks, I know. My first slept on my husbands chest until he was five months old. He had bad gas and reflux, but I totally don't recommend this...it's dangerous and it can become a bad habit. She'll get herself adjusted to a good schedule soon.

I agree with Alissa. Try to enjoy being awake all hours of the night, it will be over before you know it. Now, my first, who wanted to sleep on top of us every night, will barely give me a hug as he's running out the door to play!

Good luck to you!

Alli (29)
DH Doug (35)
DS Colton (8/5/02-34 wks-PIH/PE)
DD Aubrie (4/17/04-30wks-PIH/severe PE)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aubriejane/
allic

Postby mlcoltrain » Mon Nov 01, 2004 03:17 pm

Thanks for the replies. I think DD had just gotten her nights and days mixed up, she seems to have gotten them back to normal. My parents were just here for the weekend and she got over stimulated for almost the whole time. It was just a chore getting her to sleep. They just left Sunday afternoon, and last night she wanted to be very fussy after her 9pm and 3am feedings, I am hoping it was just residual overstimulation. She seems better today, was a little fussy this morning after her 9am feed, but has been sleeping very well the rest of today. She is actually up to about 2.5oz of formula every 3hours and eating it all. Feeding was the issue holding her from coming home, we were suposed to come home on a Wed, but made a switch to formula and she wasn't taking it very well, but started to and we were able to go home by Friday. The nurses in the NICU said that b/c her feedings were a bit of an issue they wanted us to keep on their every 3hr schedule. She's been home almost a month and it just seems easier to keep her on the schedule rather then move to feed on demand, since eventually I will want to put her on a schedule anyway. We usually do have to wake her when it's time to eat, but usually changing her diaper before feeding wakes her up enough that she starts to root and suck on her fingers and then she eats like a champ. The doctor doesn't want us to increase her feeds again just yet (doesn't want her to start retaining fluid), but I am hoping once she is able to take a bit over 3oz, we can move to every 4hours feeding. So far the 2.5oz ever 3hours seems to be satisfying her, but sometimes when she gets really fussy only sucking on a pacifier calms her, but the doctor told us she probably wasn't hungry, just that the sucking calms her down. It's still hard for me to beleive that my little 1lb 9oz peanut is now 6lb 8oz (as of 10/29). Anyway, I will stop rambling, thanks for the advice I really love this site it has been very helpful and supportive.

Michelle
DD - Morgan (7/24/04-27.5wks-severe PE/HELLP/Low Fluid)
mlcoltrain

Return to Parents of Preemies