Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Too young to travel?

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Too young to travel?

Postby loriann_1971 » Mon Oct 18, 2004 07:52 am

by loriann_1971 (9 Posts), Mon Oct 18, 2004 07:52 am

I had my baby at almost 35 weeks due to severe Preeclampsia. She is doing great. She came home from the hospital at nine days and her only real problem was learnig to eat. She has that down, taking 60cc's a feeding 8 times a day. Her doctor says she looks great and she was 7 oz over her birth weight at her two week checkup. Of course being a preemie and a newborn, we are careful not to have people over to the house and we haven't taken her anywhere other than the doctors visit. What I am wondering is when I can consider traveling with her. I ended up coming to stay with my parents to have her because her father was getting deployed and now that he is coming back, I am trying to decide when it will be a good time to travel with her back home. Maybe after Christmas? She was born on September 30. I will talk to her doctor about it, but I was wondering what everyone's thoughts or experiences on the subject are?
loriann_1971

Re : Too young to travel?

Postby denise » Mon Oct 18, 2004 08:04 am

by denise (5480 Posts), Mon Oct 18, 2004 08:04 am

Congrats on the birth of your daughter! Glad to hear she is doing well. What kind of distance are you talking? I would say talking with the pediatrician would be the best bet for answers. They may have certain things they want done, etc. Keep us posted.

-------
Co-coordinator for WI
Denise (28)
Jason (32)
Ariana (16 months)-born 5/3/03 at 35 weeks due to HELLP

http://hometown.aol.com/scrapperlang/Home.htm
denise

Postby loriann_1971 » Mon Oct 18, 2004 08:52 am

by loriann_1971 (9 Posts), Mon Oct 18, 2004 08:52 am

i would have to fly from California (LAX) to St. Louis and then drive over to Illinois (we live right across the river...about a 20 minute drive.) Her father will be here for Christmas, so it would be the two of us flying back with her, if we decide to take her then.
loriann_1971

Postby denise » Mon Oct 18, 2004 09:26 am

by denise (5480 Posts), Mon Oct 18, 2004 09:26 am

Wow, that is quite the trip![;)] I'd definately give the doc a call and see if traveling by Christmas would be alright. That is wonderful her daddy will be home to see her in time for the holidays!

-------
Co-coordinator for WI
Denise (28)
Jason (32)
Ariana (16 months)-born 5/3/03 at 35 weeks due to HELLP

http://hometown.aol.com/scrapperlang/Home.htm
denise

Postby mom2tori » Mon Oct 18, 2004 09:57 am

by mom2tori (3842 Posts), Mon Oct 18, 2004 09:57 am

Congratulations on your new daughter! Sounds like she is doing great. I don't have anything to really add, only that I agree with Denise about asking the doctor but I think if she has no medical issues that would be affected by flying than you should do whatever makes you the most comfortable. If you don't think your new girl is ready for the trip than don't take her. I am glad to hear her daddy will be coming home, it is always nice to see the big, strong daddies twisted around the fingers of these tiny girls! Good luck with trip decision and congratualtions again.

Alissa mommy to:
Dominic 9/10/97-9/11/97
Victoria 1/8/02
mom2tori

Postby deerhart » Tue Oct 19, 2004 01:01 pm

by deerhart (3282 Posts), Tue Oct 19, 2004 01:01 pm

Mason was born on Oct. 12 and we traveled 3+ hours via car to my parent's house at both thanksgiving and christmas. I think the only thing would be flying and any delays caused by the weather (and we all know how great the weather is in St. Louis in the winter).

Erin

Moderator - Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex (4)and Mason (1 1/2)
Law Student - 1 year done, 2 to go
deerhart

Postby maxs mom » Wed Oct 20, 2004 03:29 pm

by maxs mom (594 Posts), Wed Oct 20, 2004 03:29 pm

It took us until Max was 18 months old before we flew from CA to RI. Since he was so early and has chronic lung disease, planes were a big no-no for us, because there are just too many germs on planes. I would say that your situation is not that extreme. However, remember that Christmas time is also Flu time. And that more people get sick on planes now than they did 20 years ago because they recirculate the air instead of piping in fresh air. So, you may want to delay your visit until the flu season is over in late april or early May. However, if you do decide to go, here are a few tips.

Have your husband preboard with the carseat (you can get your daughter a half price seat if you call the airline direct, not online) She can fly for free on your lap, but I would recommend a cozy seat for safety and germ control. So when your Dh boards, have him wipe everything down in your row with Clorox wipes, the belt buckles, the arm rests, the walls, the air outlets, tray tables, everything. Remember, the airplane just had people on it before you, so this will limit spread of germs.

You and baby board at final call. They wait until the very last minute to check strollers at the gate, so you can carry her right on. this limits her sitting in a car seat and getting antsy while everyone else is boarding.

Feed her a bottle at takeoff and decent to help ear pressure stabalize.

Most likely she will sleep, but don't take her in the middle of her night time sleep, especially if she is sleeping through the night. Part of our flight cut into Max's regular night time sleep schedule and when he got woken up from the decent, he was just that much more angry and hard to console.

Take a new toy, if she is old enough to be interested in toys. Along with a couple of old toys. She will play with all of her old toys first, getting bored of them quickly, and then when you pull out the brand new toy, she might stick with it longer.

My pedi said, Absolutley don't change his diaper on the plane. The bathrooms are too germy. She said it won't kill him to sit in a pee diaper, and if he does number 2, try and keep him in it as long as he can. And if I absolutley have to change a poopy diaper, do it at the seat. HOWEVER, the airline doesn't like when you do this. They will yell at you. So DH should be on the lookout and make sure your baby wears something comfy that is easy to get a very quick change done. Luckily Max never pooped, and I just changed his diaper in his stroller before we got on the plane and when we got off.

I hope this info helps.
Good Luck!

Kara (34)
DH, John (36)
Max, 1/20/03, 25 wks, 1lb. 3ozs. (IUGR), severe PE
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/mightymax/

#2 is on the way, EDD at 36.5 weeks is 3/24/04
maxs mom

Return to Parents of Preemies