Post Reply FAQ Members Login

It is killing me not being able to bring my baby

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Re : It is killing me not being able to bring my baby

Postby amander » Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:56 am

by amander (53 Posts), Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:56 am

I can completly understand where you are coming from. My baby is still in the NICU but very close to coming home. I am trying to establish breast feeding which is very frustrating. I will keep trying but if it doesn't work out after a week I am going to insist they switch to bottles. The nurses said they weren't supposed to tell me but if he is bottle feed he will come home faster.

Mother of Brandon. Born 29 6/7 weeks due to PE.
amander

Postby nancy » Fri Oct 29, 2004 08:29 am

by nancy (33 Posts), Fri Oct 29, 2004 08:29 am

Those last few weeks are definitely the hardest to leave your baby there. Especially when they are doing so well. I used to try and convince myself that I had the best daycare that money could buy[;)]. Can I ask though, are they feeding her every 3 hours? Maybe she needs to go to a 4 hour schedule so that she can round up enough energy before the next feed. I know with Caitlyn that did the trick for her.

Nancy
Mom to Caitlyn
Born at 25 weeks 1lb 2oz due to severe pre-e and HELLP
www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/caitlynwalsh
nancy

Postby anissa » Fri Oct 29, 2004 02:59 pm

by anissa (47 Posts), Fri Oct 29, 2004 02:59 pm

Although it was over a year ago, I remember the day I went home without Olivia so well. I cried that the whole day and throughout the whole night. I cried so much that my eyes had swollen shut. I looked like I had been in the boxing ring with Mike Tyson.

I remember thinking that it wasn't supposed to happen that way, she should've been going home with me. In retrospect, I believe that this was the toughest part of my PE experience.

We lived about 70 miles away from the hospital. So I basically had to camp out at the hospital while she was in the NICU. (I left for shift change and to eat an occational meal in the cafeteria.) After a couple of weeks she was able to come home and these memories don't burn as much as they used to.

I hope that your daughter will be home soon. Good luck.

Anissa
Mommy to Olivia
born 9 wks early due to PE
anissa

Previous

Return to Parents of Preemies