Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Hannah may get kicked out of Gymnastics

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Hannah may get kicked out of Gymnastics

Postby hannahsmom » Sat Nov 13, 2004 09:30 am

by hannahsmom (1141 Posts), Sat Nov 13, 2004 09:30 am

I feel like crying right now. Hannah, who is 3, is still tiny for her age. She has not been officially diagnosed with ADHD, but the developmental pediatrician said she's on that path, and will probably be diagnosed when she's 4. Anyway, she's very limber and athletic and has lots of energy and we knew right away she would be a great gymnast. The pediatrician also said gymnastics would help her motor skills. The owner of our local gym, a former olympic gymnast, welcomed her with open arms and says she has a lot of talent. His other coach, though, is the one who usually runs her class. He always tells me that she won't listen, but today he got really mad at her. There were three kids total, and he told the other parents that their kids did great, but he said Hannah was very bad, and she has no listening skills. He said it's very frustrating. He also gave the other kids a popsicle because they did so well but said Hannah did not deserve one. He did give her one, but said she did not deserve it. I don't know what to do. She loves it and I want her to continue, but the coach does not have the patience for her. I'm afraid he may ban her from his class. I could pay extra money and get her private lessons with the owner, but I really can't afford it. I feel like I should talk to the owner, but I don't want the other guy to get in trouble and then take it out on my daughter. Plus, the owner is not very accessible, and he is from another country and it's not always easy communicating with him. But I really like him, so I feel like I should at least tell him what's going on. What would you do? [:(]

Suzanne
Mommy to Miss Hannah Rose
26.5 weeker born 8/24/01
severe pre-e & IUGR
1 pound, 1 ounce
12 inches
Miracles do happen!
hannahsmom

Re : Hannah may get kicked out of Gymnastics

Postby 5thtymachrm » Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:00 am

by 5thtymachrm (909 Posts), Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:00 am

Suzanne-
Oh poor Hannah! How about sitting down for a talk with that teacher? Maybe explaining how far she has come, ask if he plans of kicking her out of the class, what else can be done, etc? Maybe they have another class that would be better for her?

I really feel for you! I hope she can stay because I can only imagine how good it is for her. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Elizabeth
WA State Co-Coordinator
Indigo E. 11/20/03 csec,PE,IUGR,chronic HBP,hypothyroid,asthma,hyperemesis,33wks on BR. 5 m/c's; ttc #2
5thtymachrm

Postby julie f » Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:50 am

by julie f (7993 Posts), Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:50 am

Oh Suzanne, I'm so sorry to hear this. How frustrating for you and Hannah.

I can only imagine how good something like this class is for her development and esteem, the teacher behaving that way is very counter-productive and downright immature... I agree with Elizabeth, maybe you can talk to the teacher about this. If he doesn't listen, then I'd definitely go to the owner.

I wonder if some of this teacher's negative behavior is contributing to her problems in class? You know that whole thing of - when you get treated a certain way long enough, you tend to act like it? If that's the case, that is so unfair and unprofessional and I think the owner would want to know about it.

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Miracle in progress... #2 is due February 2005!!!

Southern California Coordinator
julie f

Postby mom2tori » Sat Nov 13, 2004 06:25 pm

by mom2tori (3842 Posts), Sat Nov 13, 2004 06:25 pm

Suzanne, I agree about trying to talk to the instructor about what is going on. I also think that gymanstics sounds like something that is good for Hannah. Maybe the instructor shouldn't be working with kids at Hannahs age because at 3 they are still learning how to follow directions and interact with each other and other adults. He also shouldn't expect all the kids to be good at the same time. They are only kids and need to be taught these things not expected to know them. Good luck on trying to figure out a solution that fits Hannah and the instructor. I will be thinking of you two.

Alissa mommy to:
Dominic 9/10/97-9/11/97
Victoria 1/8/02
mom2tori

Postby season » Sun Nov 14, 2004 08:44 pm

by season (1416 Posts), Sun Nov 14, 2004 08:44 pm

I am so sorry that Hannah has to deal with that. No matter how great the sport is for her, (I love gymnastics) this enviroment is NOT good for her. Are there other area gyms you could check out. Some have better preschool programs than otehrs. At soem gyms they really understand the younger children and the teachers have more knowledge and skills in dealing with the issues of young children.

I would also bring up your dissatisfaction, with both the instructor and the owner. You are the customer. If they ahev an issue wiht ehr behavior they shoudl be talking with you about it, not just saying that she was bad. In fact, labellinga child as bad, and especially comparing ehr to others is o hurtful. They need to knwo that this is not an acceptable to treat a child.

I hope you can find a way for Hannah to have a positive gym experience.

SueAnn
dh Kwame
ds Ezekiel 1/2/02 (34wks due to pre-e)
dd Naomi 6/25/04 (38 1/2 wks PIH)
season
Forum Moderator

Postby natan » Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:00 pm

by natan (203 Posts), Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:00 pm

I would be so mad. Can you request a different coach? Your daughter should not be treated like that. That coach has a problem not your daughter.

Deborah 35
DH 35
Natan 3
#2 (girl) 1/22/05
natan

Postby peanutsmom » Mon Nov 15, 2004 07:07 am

by peanutsmom (465 Posts), Mon Nov 15, 2004 07:07 am

I would look for another gym right away. Hannah doesn't need to be exposed to someone who tretas her like that. I have also heard that martial arts are very good for kiddos with ADHD. It is still a very physical sport and the instructors focus a lot on self-discipline. You might look into that option for her as well. My dd is also very enegetic. I don't know if she is or will be hyper, but we have already started looking at martial arts classes she can start when she turns 3.

Dawn
Carolyn born at 36 weeks- PE with severe HELLP
#2 due 3/05
peanutsmom

Return to Parents of Preemies