Post Reply FAQ Members Login

I volunteer for PF because ......

Re : I volunteer for PF because ......

Postby alexp » Wed Aug 09, 2006 02:58 pm

by alexp (1475 Posts), Wed Aug 09, 2006 02:58 pm

I volunteer because it was information on this website that prompted me to go in to the doctor's office - a decision that may have saved mine and my twin daughters' lives, and certainly has impacted them forever.

I found the PF in the early morning hours of June 18, 2003, while doing an internet search for preeclampsia - I had been diagnosed the day before. I was in too much pain to lay down and sleep, but I wasn't even considering going to the hospital. I'd called my OB's office that afternoon, and the nurse told me that since they hadn't called me about my lab results, that I was 'probably fine' and 'there was no need to call again'.

But after reading some of the posts here, I realized I did need be seen - and quickly. And as it turned out, my labs had been misplaced. I had severe PE and HELLP, and was hospitalized by noon that day.

These forums are a valuable resource, and I feel compelled to try to do what little bit I can to help keep them going, as long as they are needed.

alexp

Postby annegarrett » Thu Aug 10, 2006 05:23 am

by annegarrett (2525 Posts), Thu Aug 10, 2006 05:23 am

Wow. I have to say--you all are the reason I am here. When we started this thing Joan (the other--quieter--founder) said, "if we can help just one woman--then it will be worth it." I am humbled and awed by your grace, your energy, your commitment and while every reason you all mention above is incredibly important--the thing that brings me back again and again is the community I have here--people who know it is not okay for women in the USA to die during pregnancy; people who are brave enough to face the blank stares, the ignorant health care providers, and the well-meaning but naive friends and family who tell us to "let it go--move on". I will be here as long as you are here--and something tells me--you ain't going away.

Thank you so much. At times I just don't know what to say. I am literally moved to tears. I hope you all will be able to come to Saving Grace--I will be there and I just want to hug you all. You guys have no idea how much you mean to me, how even in the darkest times, times beyond preeclampsia and into "normal" life, your presence and humor has kept me going. Thank you seems insufficient for the work you do every day. And just remember Joan's mantra...just one life...it's an amazing thing.

xxx
annegarrett

Postby sonja » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:32 am

by sonja (5658 Posts), Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:32 am

Anne - it is so good to see you! Thanks to you and Joan for allowing us a place to be. I would love to be at Saving Grace - hopefully it will be coming to Seattle sometime in the future! I would love to attend. (Maybe a little bug can be put into someones ear).

Joy
sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby jodlb » Sun Aug 13, 2006 04:02 pm

by jodlb (123 Posts), Sun Aug 13, 2006 04:02 pm

I do it for/beacuse.......

Everyone who is a member of this horrible club

I went through an entire pregnancy not even hearing the word PREECLAMPSIA mentioned

I never want to attend another funeral for a baby

I never want to get another phone call at 3:00 telling me that my nehpew is dead and my sister in law has an 80% chance of dying too

I have a daughter, I don't want her to go through this

I have many freinds of child bearing age...I don't want them to go through this

It's therapudic, and I feel better when I put the letters in the mail

AND MOSTLY, for Heather and Conner, for without them I would have no reason to know about this and how good it feels to help!
jodlb

Postby sreeve » Sun Aug 13, 2006 05:42 pm

by sreeve (155 Posts), Sun Aug 13, 2006 05:42 pm

I volunteer because even though my beautiful Eliza died without ever having taken breath, I want to give her life meaning by doing something positive in her name.
sreeve

Previous

Return to Conferences