NIH Study Update

NIH Study Update

Postby annegarrett » Tue Feb 22, 2005 01:48 am

As many of you know, the Preeclampsia Foundation received a $90,000 grant to manage the National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Family Study (phew) for preeclampsia. The study was FINALLY approved (two years of red-tape) last summer and the study manager (Maria "Carrie" Barrion, our loyal Bellevue, Washington based volunteer) and I have been handling the details. The selection process has been completed--100 members were randomly selected and solicited to participate. Of those, approximately 60 will be be in the final pool. The study involves a questionaire, and providing a saliva sample from each "proband" which is the research term for an extended biological family. For ex: a typical proband might have a wife, husband and living child, her parents, his parents, her siblings, their spouses and their first born; his siblings, their spouses and their first born. Each of these will be asked to send in a saliva sample and answer a confidential questionaire. The results of both will be analyzed by laboratories with the NIH. We hope to have the study completed by the summer but realistically--it may take a bit longer. When the research is complete--we will share the results with our members. Should it prove promising--the NIH may choose to expand this study into a larger study. If you have been selected--please make every effort to follow the directions carefully. We want to be sure every sample counts.

If you were not selected--there will be other opportunities. We are committed to providing researchers access to important data that will one day mean a cure for preeclampsia.

Thanks for all your efforts and support.

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Re : NIH Study Update

Postby sweetiesuzy » Tue Feb 22, 2005 02:45 pm

I truly look forward to hearing how this study goes.

Thank you for all you do -

Hugs,
Suz

------------------------
Aaryngston ~ 3/25/95
Chloe Rose ~ 10/26/01 Stillbirth
Samuel Isaac ~ 12/30/02
Laura Elise ~ 7/19/04

"Friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have
trouble remembering how to fly"
-Marion Beatty
sweetiesuzy

Postby tommysmommy21004 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 03:20 pm

That's great, Anne!! Keep up the good work that you do!!

Deanna Smith-Powers (30)

Mommy to Thomas James, b.2/10/04 @ 34 weeks due to severe pre-e and HELLP syndrome
Diagnosed with prothrombin genetic mutations-12/28/04
tommysmommy21004

Postby kdreher » Tue Feb 22, 2005 03:43 pm

Exciting news...can't wait to see the outcome and cross my fingers we get some answers.

Kris (35)
DH, Tom (35)
Connecticut, USA

Tyler 3-9-95 to 3-23-95 (26 wks severe pe/HELLP)
miscarriage 1/26/05

Hoping for a 2005 miracle!

tkstevens@sbcglobal.net
kdreher

Postby leighann » Sun Feb 27, 2005 08:42 pm

I started another thread before I saw this one... I got a call that I was selected, but didn't get the call (cell phone was on silent :(). Whoever called said they would call back but they havent and I REALLY wanna do the study!

Leighann 26
DH-Charles 30
DD- Gabrielle Marie born 7/23/03, 12:45am at 37.5 weeks due to pre-e
She weighed 6lb 8oz and was 18 inches long!
http://www.imagestation.com/members/mrslmfuller Click that link to see my imagestation albums
leighann

Return to News from PF Headquarters