Locked FAQ Members Login

Post Choice Agenda

Post Choice Agenda

Postby annegarrett » Sat May 14, 2005 02:45 pm

by annegarrett (2525 Posts), Sat May 14, 2005 02:45 pm

I think it is fair to say, that none of us are here because of any choice we made. We are here because preeclampsia or HELLP brought us here. That means that we represent all women and their families touched by preeclampsia. All meaning all women from those who are devout Catholics, to Hindus, to agnostics, atheists, Wiccans--all. Our common mission is the eradication of preeclampsia and the heartbreak it causes by forcing such choices.

That is why I refer to the Preeclampsia Foundation as having a "post-choice" agenda. By that I mean, whatever your perspective on "pro-life" v. "choice"--when you get to us, you have either actively or passively made the choice to have a baby and preeclampsia happens after that choice is made.

My personal politics are not relevant here--but suffice it to say--we evenly represent both sides of the political debate and we make every effort to negotiate that thin slice of common ground with respect to both sides and by focusing on the real menace--the disease.

Women in our situation are forced to make all sorts of untenable choices. I am thankful to have avoided many of the harrowing choices some of you all have had to make--whether or not to take a baby off life support, whether to deliver when you know your baby's chance of survival is small, whether to take a mother off life support, or whether or not to sign a DNR (do not resucitate order) for your wife or child. These are horrible choices and not ones made lightly by doctors or parents.

Since preeclampsia takes away all of our choices and presents us with some unbearable options--our job at the Preeclampsia Foundation is to unfailingly and unquestioningly provide support to ALL women and their families who have preeclampsia. What choices they make are their private choices. I know many of you who have made such choices. While we can pray, or meditate, or provide emotional support in our own way--as members of the PF--our obligation is to provide support without judgement.

There is nothing more heartbreaking than losing a child. I ask that we not add to that burden by presuming to know all that is in the hearts and minds of the women, their partners, and doctors forced to make such horrible decisions. Our stance on the issue of choice is that we cannot know--therefore--we cannot judge. It is our belief that all of these babies were wanted--and all of their losses profound.

I encourage you all to continue sharing such weighty and delicate issues on the forums. We encourage healthy debate. The rules are simple--we do not know everything--we cannot advise--we cannot judge--we can only speak for ourselves. Anything else may be removed at the discretion of the moderators or Forum Diva Laura.

Thank you all so much.

Anne Garrett
Founder/Spokeswoman
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Re : Post Choice Agenda

Postby celticepona » Sat May 14, 2005 07:12 pm

by celticepona (1273 Posts), Sat May 14, 2005 07:12 pm

Thank you for your advice. If I have offended anyone or made anyone uncomfortable in any way, I sincerely apologize, as that was not my intention.

DD Emily born 4-01-04 at 37 weeks due to severe PE/Eclampsia. Currently Hypertensive and still on medication.
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/e/emilyfionaspage/
celticepona

Postby annegarrett » Sun May 15, 2005 04:15 pm

by annegarrett (2525 Posts), Sun May 15, 2005 04:15 pm

Not to worry--I certainly wasn't--it was a good time to remind everyone that we come at this from various angles and often we cannot know what others value. You are a valued contributor and member and your insight and comments were very kind and compassionate. I certainly respect and share your passion for the life of a baby. I think we all do. Keep up the good fight.

Anne Garrett
Founder/Spokeswoman
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Postby heatherbbb » Tue May 17, 2005 02:41 am

by heatherbbb (603 Posts), Tue May 17, 2005 02:41 am

Beautifully said Anne. I've had to make some horrible decisions in the care of my oldest son Seth. What I learned personally from my experience is that no one outside of the situation has all of the facts and information available. I think it is wonderful to remind us once in a while not to judge other's decisions, especially with our limited knowledge of the situation. It is so hard to make those decisions without having to worry about criticism. Even knowing this, I fall into the trap myself of judging. Thank you for the reminder!

Heather (32)
Mother of Seth Russell, delivered 26 weeks due to PE/HELLP 9/3/03-2/13/04
http://members.cox.net/heatherbbb/seth/seth.htm
Mother of Joshua Allen -Dec 30,2004 36 weeks (Pre-e Free, but Hypoglycemic & Jaundice - 10 days in NICU). Protein C deficiency, Lupus Anticoagulant, & Gestational Diabetes w/ 2nd pregnancy
heatherbbb

Return to News from PF Headquarters