babies and Eye glasses

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
jjbeck

Re : babies and Eye glasses

Postby jjbeck » Mon Jun 20, 2005 02:36 pm

I think we will talk about the strap on Friday. When I asked my ped about keeping glasses on babies, she just said the smart ones seem to know they need them and keep them on.... hmmmm.
They put glasses on babies as young as 6 months I guess.
As far as knowing her vision, they did a series of tests, both the opthomologist and the optometrist. I don't think agree on where her vision is at... of course this makes me wonder.
The optometrsit thought that the glasses, the strenth may be a bit too uncomfortable at first. They are very strong....I strain when I try to look through them.

Jen 33
DH Bob 36
DD Ava 4/04

http://jbeck3.photosite.com/

kdreher

Postby kdreher » Mon Jun 20, 2005 02:18 pm

I had glasses at a very young age ~ I was under 2 yrs old ~ I suspect at first I had to have the elastic strap and I had to wear a patch. I don't know what the solutions are...I even did a search and couldn't find what I was looking for. Perhaps the pediatrician may be able to help?

Kris (35) & Tom (35)
Connecticut State Coordinator

My Angel - Tyler 3/9/95 to 3/23/95 (15 oz, 26 wks severe pe/HELLP)
Tubal Ligation 2/2000
Tubal Reversal 10/2004
Miscarriage 1/05

tkstevens@sbcglobal.net

mamc2003

Postby mamc2003 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 02:13 pm

Jen, my cousin's daughter got glasses at the age of 2 and she also had the straps. The only way they could get her to keep them on was to put the glasses on her before she woke up in the morning. I'm not sure why this worked, but she wouldn't even know they were there if she woke up and she already was wearing them. After a while, she got used to having them on her face and could take them off for bath time and such and put them back on with no problems. HTH some and good luck. I'm sure it's very hard to keep glasses on one so young.

Mandy
Mom to:
Audrey (born 35 wks pre-e) 5 lbs 4 oz; Now three years old
Avery (born 35 wks pre-e) 5 lb 12 oz; Now over a year

tahoe4

Postby tahoe4 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 01:36 pm

My sister had glasses when she was 3. I know your child is much younger, but she had to have the elastic strap to keep them on. The elastic strap really helped the glasses to keep from falling off, she didn't actually try to take them off. In any case I would imagine they would have to have something out there that would help babies keep glasses on their head. Maybe consult a pediatric opthamalogist.

I have to ask, your baby is only around 14 months, so how would they know what prescription to give your baby? I'm just curious about how they went about doing a vision test with a baby. How did you even realize that your baby couldn't see very well?

Stephanie

Casey - DD born 12/25/02 at 6 weeks premature due to eclampsia
Bella - DD born 6/4/04 at 38 weeks. No complications from pre-eclampsia at all!

meg

Postby meg » Mon Jun 20, 2005 01:29 pm

{HUGS} I dont have any experience in this but I can imagine it would be very difficult! Does she have one of the elastic straps on them that go around her head? Hopefully the optometrist will have some ideas.

Meg-Moderator for After Your Baby is Born
Will 2-6-00 (PE at 35 weeks 4 days)5lb 1 ounce
Elizabeth 7-3-01 (NO PE or PIH)8 lb 12 ounces
Katherine Grace 10-8-04, 6 lb 10 oz (oligo at 37.5 weeks but PIH/PE free)

jjbeck

babies and Eye glasses

Postby jjbeck » Mon Jun 20, 2005 01:21 pm

Hi all. Ava was perscibed glasses about a month or so ago from her opthomologist. At first she did not mind the glasses. But lately she will not keep them on at all. We are also seeing an optometrist. His office was the one that actually had the script taken care of ( I had a hard time finding a place to do glasses so small).
he seemed to think the script was too strong for Ava but followed the MDs script.
Have any of you guys w/ little ones have had trouble keeping glasses on? How did you deal w/ this problem?
We see the optometrist again on Friday. Hopefully he will have some good suggestions.

Jen 33
DH Bob 36
DD Ava 4/04

http://jbeck3.photosite.com/

Return to “After your baby is born .....”