Ages and Stages - Toddler (1-3 years)

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
mamc2003

Re : Ages and Stages - Toddler (1-3 years)

Postby mamc2003 » Sat Oct 03, 637361 1:53 pm

Avery is the same way as your son. She can understand anything you say to her, but just doesn't say very much. We've been in speech therapy for a little over 4 months and it has really helped. Most times, she still just parrots what we say, but does tell us her needs now. That's very helpful that she can tell us when she's hungry or thirsty or wants her doll. She'll turn 2 in December. Avery doesn't give us much trouble, though, so I hardly have to discipline her. I agree with Erin, that if you truly feel that there's something wrong, call Early Intervention and have them evaluate her. It took months of me telling the dr something was wrong, for her to finally listen to me. I don't know where Avery would be if we hadn't started sp therapy. Good luck.

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Tue Sep 22, 637361 10:56 am

Honestly from personal experience go with your gut. If it is a problem, early intervention is very important. Dads are known to be very reluctant to admit that anything is a problem

christinab

Postby christinab » Mon Sep 21, 637361 11:20 pm

Thanks for the advice ladies. I have been putting him in timeout more lately. He calms down after awhile. Im just worried that he will though a fit and land on his sister. He thoughs things to once he gets mad. I feel so lost sometimes. I will try the advise that you gals have given me. Wish me luck...:)

christinab

Postby christinab » Mon Sep 21, 637361 11:15 pm

Erin,
He is able to understand when I talk to him. I'll ask him to get me something or I tell him to throw something away and he does it. If he wants something like a sippy cup, he will bring it to me or when he is hungry he stands in front of the refridgerator. He understands where things go and helps me put things up. The only problem is he isnt forming actuall words. They are just sounds. I told my DH that I think I should have him checked out and he told me not to worry that it is just a faze. Im not to sure.

season
Forum Moderator

Postby season » Tue Sep 08, 637361 1:10 pm

He may have a lot more words then you realize. They may not spund like you would say them, but for him they are still words. Try to pay close attwention for awhile and acknowledge what he does say. Alos, getting him evaluated cna't hurt and if he has a delay then he can get help.

Lack of speech can really frustrate a kid. Even the very verbal kids can think more than they can express, thus the frustration. Try acknowledging his feelings more. As in, "No you can't play with the trash. I know that makes you sad, but the trash is yucky. Here play with xxx." You need to do this before he's uspet. It will take time, but it should help him.

Also, smacking him will make him tantrum more, not less. They often tantum when they feel out-of-control, hitting just makes this feel worse. I do agree that amidst the tantrum you need to ignore it. Or dicert him to a safe place, away from others, where he can calm down.

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Sat Aug 29, 637361 9:58 pm

Alot of the tantrums can be caused by frustration do to the lack of speech. Does he gesture and show you things? Have you had him evaluated by your state's early intervention program? By 2 years of age he should be putting 2-3 wrods together, if he's not making any words at all it can be an issue. If he is able to make sounds it may be more of a prununciation/oral motor issue in not allowing him to make the sounds properly. Also, can he follow one step directions? There may be problems with his ability to understand what he's being told (this is receptive speech, versus his ability to use speech which is expressive speech).

There are many ways to combat the frustration level do to inability to communicate based on what the child can/can't do. Things like baby sign language, PICOS and other picture boards can be a great help to ease tantrums that are being caused by frustation in non-verbal or in children in which is hard to understand what they are saying. I know even with both my kids at times I have to ask them to show us what they are talking about when they don't get the idea across for us to understand.

mamc2003

Postby mamc2003 » Sat Aug 29, 637361 8:03 pm

I can't reallly say anything about the speech as we are going through the same thing. The best thing I can tell you about the tantrums is just to ignore it. Even if you have to walk out of the room, you just need to ignore him. Audrey and Avery will both follow me around whining and I just keep walking around. If Audrey gets too out of control, I take her to her room and tell her she has to stay there until she can calm down. I'm not punishing her, I'm just getting her to stay still until she stops crying. Once the tantrum is over, she can come out. I don't make her stay in there for long periods of time. This was hard to start, but once Audrey realized she could come back out and play when she stopping throwing a fit, it was much easier. Good luck and hope this helps.

christinab

Postby christinab » Sat Aug 29, 637361 9:06 am

Hello Ladies,

Ok, I have a few questions. My son just turned 2 and he still is not really talking. He isnt pronouncing words correctly. You can tell he is saying something only because of the sound he makes. You know what he is saying but it doesnt sound like a real word. He says bless you, but it sounds like es ou. Should I be worried?

The next question is how do i get him to stop throughing temper tantrums. If you tell him no, put that back, even if you smack his hand..he will run and through himself on the floor kicking and screaming. He isnt even really crying, he makes such a fuss. I literaly have to count to a hundred. He is getting so out of control. Is this what they mean about terrible 2's? And I was told that premies were more of a handful...I think it might be true..

matts_mom

Postby matts_mom » Tue Aug 18, 637361 5:40 am

Matthew is a real mommy's boy. When anything goes wrong he heads for me. Sometimes it's really tough like at mealtimes when I'm cooking or trying to fold laundry or doing the dishes. He won't go to anyone else. Last week on Wednesday and Thursday we used a daycare provider for the first time. After dropping him off the first time, he cried about 30 seconds the sitter said. When we picked him up, he said mommy but daddy was in the door first and it didn't matter to Matthew who picked him up first. The second day he was a little better, only cried for about 10 seconds and when we picked him up he literally just hugged both of us and went back playing. I've never had anybody tell me I carry him around too much and when we are at the park or grocery shopping or just out of the house he always takes time out of his busy schedule to give mommy a kiss. He is very independent most of the time and has been since he began walking but now when he wants to cuddle I just stop what I'm doing and cuddle. Whatever I'm doing will still be there when he's had enough... :) ...now I'm off to look up attachment parenting and Dr. Sears!

rachel a

Postby rachel a » Sat Jul 25, 637361 9:28 pm

So you're a Dr. Sears gal too!

Yes, it's difficult with in-laws. Bless their hearts, they come to visit and ask me to put him down. Then he screams because he wants me to cuddle! I love it, but they just don't understand.

Dylan was 8 weeks early, now 12 months (not adjusted) and he's right on for his development--even walking and he's already up to 7 words! For that reason, I believe in Attachment Parenting. However, could just be genetics, but I think I'll give Dr. Sears more credit than I'll give mine or DH's genes. [;)]

Thanks for the encouragement!!

Return to “After your baby is born .....”