What can we expect from Synagis?

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
katesm

Re : What can we expect from Synagis?

Postby katesm » Sun Aug 30, 637361 6:53 am

Besides soreness at the site of injection, my daughter didn't have any side effects to the shots. They did keep her healthy during her first year. I was so thankful for them.

Stacy 26
Gary DH 28

Mom to Katelynn Paige born 26 weeks due to severe PE. 1lb 13 oz now healthy two and half year old.

christinab

Postby christinab » Sat Aug 29, 637361 9:17 am

Anthony never really had a reaction to the Synagis shot. He reacted mostly to his well baby checkup shots. He had a fever with those shots and slept most of the day. he didn't have to get his 2nd year shots. I dont remeber why the doctor said he didnt have to, but I am grateful. The first year of his RSV shots were free beacuse you get them on post in the Army. His second year would have cost us a ton of money, I heard that those shots are like $800-$1200. I do not know how true that is, but that is waht Iheard. I would check to see if your insurance covers it.

rachel a

Postby rachel a » Tue Aug 04, 637361 5:39 pm

Oh Paige...you lucky girl!! We had to pay an unbelievable amount for Dylan's first round. We're crossing our fingers that our new insurance will offer it much cheaper (they do afterall pay 100% on vaccines) and if so, we're going for year #2!

paige_va

Postby paige_va » Sun Jul 26, 637361 2:02 pm

After only a small fight with the insurance company, I have to make a $35 copay for the Synagis. I've heard that it's insanely expensive, though!

whosures

Postby whosures » Sat Jul 25, 637361 5:57 pm

My daughter got them for two full winters. They were painful but I usually gave her baby tylenol while we were waiting for the shots to mix. I know the nurses at our hospital told me that the drug is so expensive that they don't even start mixing it until they do a quick health check of the baby to make sure she can even get it. Like was said above, definitely make sure it is covered by your health insurance. I think I remember it being 1500 a shot and Riley was getting two by the time we finished up last winter. She did get to a point where she knew to expect it so she was ticked off as soon as we walked in the door. [:I]

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Sat Jul 25, 637361 9:51 am

She was 6lb 1 oz so she was not low birthweight like Kirsten. I'll ask her ped about it on Monday. Insurance does cover the shot, but you need preapproval. I havn't had a problem with insurance covering my medical expenses when a dr says its is needed. They covered 6 fills of Zofran 40 pills a month with a monthly retail price of $1700.00. They only charged me a $20 copay!

jenandtheboys

Postby jenandtheboys » Sat Jul 25, 637361 7:46 am

Sabrina, I don't actually know how premature they must be to receive them, or if it goes more based on birth weight. Seems like I saw my doc had a chart that she uses to determine whether a child is eligible or needs them. No question for us, of course. Hope you can get them if you want them for her!

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Sat Jul 25, 637361 5:07 am

How premature do they have to be for the synagis shots? Just curious. Sara was almost 36 weeks and has a dr's appt on Mon. I wanted to ask her ped about it. Thinking about Lucy's Sebanna got me wondering about it, even though we now know she had Petussis.

mom2tori

Postby mom2tori » Sat Jul 25, 637361 2:06 am

Victoria never seemed to have any reaction to the synagis. We did have to sit in the doc office for a half hour after the shot was given and then the nurse would come back in the room and check Victoria over and give us the thumbs up to leave-They were waiting for any possible reaction. It did make me nervous the first time we went in there for the shot but it turns out for me that it isn't much different than her immunizations. Good luck with it!

rachel a

Postby rachel a » Wed Jul 15, 637361 6:08 am

Dylan got his first round of Synagis last year and other than the shot being painful, I don't remember him having any side effects. He's reacted more to his regular/required immunizations than he did to the Synagis.

I do seem to remember Dylan sleeping a little heavier the days that he got his shots.

Good luck!

Return to “After your baby is born .....”