Is it normal for baby to throw up....

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
lucy

Re : Is it normal for baby to throw up....

Postby lucy » Tue Dec 20, 2005 03:22 am

I am still a firm believer in making the Dr listen until you are comfortable with the answers or finding another one if she wont, that said I know its hard changing Drs etc, I hope he is better soon. Good luck and keep us updated.

teenster3

Postby teenster3 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 01:23 am

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for all of the wonderful advice!
Unfortunately I forgot to mention that I have indeed tried most of these methods.
Wyatt has been on Soy formula for most of his life (early on friends gave this advice) I wasn't able to breastfeed.
We do burp him (which he absolutely goes balistic on).
I have the slow-flow bottles (playtex with the bags & also Dr. Brown's are nice).
The 1 thing I haven't tried is moving him in slow circles.....hey, I'm willing to try anything at this point.
I was just hoping someone would say "oh, it'll go away & get better", which I hope is the case for Wyatt's sake. We just hate to see him so cranky, he's a gassy little guy too.
I was giving him Zantac but the doctor said if it wasn't working, just to stop it all together.
I swear my doc. thinks I'm the crazy one, she never believes me when I tell her that HE DOES THROW UP, NOT SPIT UP OCCASIONALY!< It's really gotten quite frustrating, to the point that I've stopped calling or going in unless he gets his monthly shots.
She's gone as far as to tell me that I'm an over-reactive mother & that I need to settle down about Wyatt's medical "issues".
I know, I should find another doc. but it's just not that easy. I've seen so many different ones (for myself before I had Wyatt) that it's just become a hassle to try again & again!
That's why I like to come HERE, to get GOOD advice from you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![;)]

lyndsey

Postby lyndsey » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:14 pm

oh! one of the most helpful tricks i learned was from a first time dad survival guide that my mom bought my husband. if you aren't sure if he is done burping and you suspect that there may still be gas trapped in his belly (which will almost guarantee a projectile mess), sit him on the edge of your knee, and holding his sides, gently rock him in slow circles. it may take a minute, but it saved my little girl from vomiting on multiple occasions.

lyndsey

Postby lyndsey » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:07 pm

You've already been given some great advice. When my dd was first born, she immediately started "spitting up", so badly that i literally had to carry 15 bibs, 5 burp cloths, and 2 changes of clothes for her in her diaperbag every time i left the house, not to mention go home at least once to change my own clothes. it was horrible. she was put on meds for acid reflux and i weaned her off at around 9 months. she has not had a problem since. i would highly recommend considering the advice you were given-- the techniques to handle it and help your little darlin, and definitely talk to the pediatrican about it. don't be afraid to tell every last detail of how much he spits up/vomits. let him know you aren't overreacting.

mamc2003

Postby mamc2003 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 04:33 pm

Audrey started throwing up when she was about 8wks old. This wasn't just a little spit up, she would literally projectile vomit halfway across the room. Even though she wasn't losing weight, for the sake of my clothes and carpet, the dr told us to switch to soy first and when that didn't work, we switched to Nutramigen. He also put her on a low dose of reflux meds(I cannot remember the name right now, Zantac maybe?)

Some other helpful hints:

Whether bfing or bottle feeding, stop every few minutes and burp him

Try to calm him before feeding as the more he cries, the more air will be in his belly

Get a slow-flo bottle as this will make him drink more slowly. We used the playtex bottles that had the air holes in the bottom. I never used them, but they say Dr Brown bottles are pretty good.

I do not recommend this without first talking to your dr(and actually I don't recommend it anyway, since it made Audrey super chubby, but it is something you could ask the ped about). The dr told us to put one teaspoon of cereal per every ounce of formula in her bottle and cut the hole just a little bigger to get it to come out. He said we could move up to 3 tsp/ ounce if it helped.

That's all I can think of for now. Even with all these measures and keeping her upright during and after a feeding, she still threw up a lot, but maybe not as much as she was. Audrey grew out of hers after her first birthday. As long as Wyatt is happy and is gaining weight, then they do consider it more of a laundry problem more than anything else, but I still recommend talking to the ped about this. Audrey was what I thought very very colicky, but that ended up just being her natural disposition(very high needs), and at the time, thought it was being caused by reflux.

raindrop

Postby raindrop » Mon Dec 19, 2005 07:52 am

I have been thru it with my older DS too, he is 2 1/2 and still has it and on meds too. I suggest trying hypoallergenic formula for it, Alimentum. It also helps for other reasons too. Also suggest strongly about seeing GI for him. Some kids do grow out of it, but when they are this age, it can be really rough on all involved.

My DS's GI also said to keep him upright for 30 after each feeding and elevate head of his bed or let him sleep in carseat. All those tend to help keep food down after they eat. Hope he grows out of it soon.

mom2tori

Postby mom2tori » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:22 pm

I don't have much experience with reflux although several family members have had babies that have struggled through it. Most did outgrow it though so that is some good news! Some babies just throw up more than others-I know if Victoria was moved around a lot she would throw up quite a bit. I think you have gotten some good advice but if it is something that is weighing on your mind, which is very understandable, than I would put a call into the doctor and get their take on what is going on. Thinking of you and hoping Wyatt can start to keep some of that down better

molly419

Postby molly419 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:16 pm

Abigail was constantly throwing up when she was 4 months old. Yes, she did and still does have reflux, but it was every single feeding(which was not normal for her). We ended up switching her to a soy forumla, which did the trick. She contiunes to get soy milk, as whole milk is too hard for her stomach.

Is Wyatt on medication for reflux? If not, and this continues, I would talk to the doctor. Yes, preemies general grow out of reflux at 6 months, but some do not, like my daughter, and it has affected her weight gain. I don't know if Wyatt is breastfeed or formula, but if he is on formula, I would suggest trying a soy. But, again, the best person to ask for advice would be your doctor.

Keep us updated!

cassie05

Postby cassie05 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:59 pm

My son threw up, never could really call it spit up, as he got older, his reflux got worse. He would throw up so much that both him and myself would be soaked to and have to change clothes. Your best bet is to get a an appt with a pediatric GI so they can further look into reflux issues

teenster3

Is it normal for baby to throw up....

Postby teenster3 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:55 pm

Every time they eat?
I'm sorry to say that I still feel clueless about certain things even as Wyatt will be 13 weeks tomorrow.
Matthew said he notices that Wyatt throws up a lot if we move him around after he's eaten. But I've been noticing that he's throwing up more now than when he was fist born. The doctor says he has Reflux & that it should go away but it just seems to be more like throwing up than spitting up. I'm constantly changing his clothes & sometimes my own & cleaning the floors as sometimes I don't catch it right away.

Return to “After your baby is born .....”