Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Questions about IUD's

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Re : Questions about IUD's

Postby sjs40 » Mon Nov 03, 2003 01:29 pm

by sjs40 (288 Posts), Mon Nov 03, 2003 01:29 pm

Hi Marcy, I had my daughter the day after you had Emma, but Ellie was born at 27wks, and we lost her on 20 Aug. I want to try for another child, but not yet. I still have bp issues, so the version of the pill that I was on is no longer suitable. I have just had a Mirena coil put in. So far so good.....
Sue
sjs40

Postby paljane8 » Mon Nov 03, 2003 04:56 pm

by paljane8 (1416 Posts), Mon Nov 03, 2003 04:56 pm

Marcy and Sue,

I wish there was some research into this! It would be so nice to know what options there are. Have you asked you drs about options for you? I am curious as to what they say. I am very impressed that you both are on top of the correlation between clotting and the pill.

Nancy-35
dh-34
ds-8yrs
dd-7yrs
Scott-born 05-14-99 @38 weeks-PE
Janie-born 05-12-03 @37 weeks-PIH, small for gestational age (oligo and low blood flow)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/4/4lbs/
paljane8

Postby sjs40 » Tue Nov 04, 2003 01:40 am

by sjs40 (288 Posts), Tue Nov 04, 2003 01:40 am

Hi again. I was recommended the Mirena coil before I got preg as I have pcos, and suffer heavy clotting bleeding as a result. I didnt want the oestrogen again due to pcos, and the thought of maybe having no periods at all,or just light bleeding as can happen with the Mirena coil, really appeals right now! I am assured that when we want to ttc fertility returns to normal almost immediately. As with all IUDs there are some possible risks, but personally I can accept those to be able to not suffer so much for those days each month! I have 2 friends with them and they both recommended them. Having it put in was uncomfortable but bearable, and I did get cramps for a few days, but that is settling now (I had it put in last Mon).
Hope that helps. Im about half way through my cycle now, so will update on what happens if it happens!
Sue
sjs40

Postby tahoe4 » Tue Nov 04, 2003 08:55 am

by tahoe4 (251 Posts), Tue Nov 04, 2003 08:55 am

I don't use an IUD, but I did want to mention that if you use depo provera you run the same risk as if you use birth control pills regarding blood clotting. I also wanted to use depo instead of the pills and both my general practitioner and my perinatologist said even if there is progesterone and no estrogen (like depo) there is still the risk of clotting.
tahoe4

Postby kim » Thu Nov 13, 2003 07:25 pm

by kim (555 Posts), Thu Nov 13, 2003 07:25 pm

I have had a copper IUD (Paraguard) for 2 months now. So far, it has been wonderful. I did not choose the Mirena IUD because it does contain and release hormones, which my doc felt could interfere with my bp. And, an ob/gyn friend of mine said the Mirena has a higher failure rate (ie, getting pg), than what is on paper....

I do have to say, that I do seem to spot a little off and on with the IUD and the first period after having put in was * (but, I hadn't had a period in 2 years, so it could have been that, too)...

I read an article saying that a copper iud is the next best thing to sterilization...

Just my 2 cents!

Kim
Ainsley Kathryn 11/26/02-36 Weeks Preeclampsia
http://home.austin.rr.com/schwintz
kim

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:30 am

by Guest (), Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:30 am

I had my copper IUD removed. In theory, it really is the best option for birth control and I'm so disappointed that it didn't work out for me. I had really bad cramping and bleeding w/ my periods. It was unbearable. I waited it out for close to a year in hopes that my periods would regulate but they did not. Also, my husband complained that he felt it while we had sex. I had my dr check it to make sure it was inserted properly and it was. So, I had it removed and 2 months later I was pregnant!
I almost feel like trying it again now that my ds was born b/c I don't want to get pregnant again but I'm afraid I'll have the same reaction.
Good luck to you!!

Nikki-29
Jared - DH
Skyla & Haley 12-16-98 (twins, 33 weeks)
Liam 8-16-03 (39 weeks, PIH)

Postby shelbys mom » Tue Nov 18, 2003 07:23 pm

by shelbys mom (483 Posts), Tue Nov 18, 2003 07:23 pm

Hello I am new to the forum, but my daughter was born on 11/12/01 8 weeks early due to hellp, and pih, she is a full of * and vinegar two year old now only problem with speech, I had an IUD, the merena (its plastic) put in, and have not gotten pregnant, am scared to death to get pg again, I dont' get a period for months which is great, and some cramping in the beginning but none now,
shelbys mom

Postby fllufmislf » Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:38 pm

by fllufmislf (3 Posts), Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:38 pm

i am also about to get an IUD and have researched and disscussed the risks and possibiliteis of them. I have been warned that with the copper IUD i will have bad cramps and bleeding more then likely. They also have a plastic or plastic like IUD that lasts 4 years and is supposed to help the cramps and bleeding. For me I am chosing the plastic one and i have not really found any high risk problems with this.
fllufmislf

Next

Return to After your baby is born .....