Questions about IUD's

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Re : Questions about IUD's

Postby annegarrett » Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:39 am

I just have to interject that I had a Copper 7 IUD at 23 after the birth of my first son and I had an ectopic pregnancy that nearly did me in--Code Blue in the ambulance, 2 IVs and a whole lot of pain--and my doctor reminded me that the IUD only prevents pregnancy in the uterus--not in the tubes and in fact increases the risk of a tubal pregnancy. I had mine taken out but up till then had really loved it. I would say if you get one to just be aware of that fact and have abnormal bleeding and cramping checked out. I had had "my period" for two weeks and the doctor didn't even do a pregnancy test. The paramedics diagnosed the ectopic immediately--course, I was in shock and was like--no no--no chance I am pregnant--I have been menstruating for two weeks and have an IUD! Needless to say--I have less than positive feelings about the IUD.

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Postby 5thtymachrm » Mon Jan 26, 2004 05:17 pm

I also have a mirena IUD, I am a nurse and worked in GYN before I got pregnant. I have the same problems with heavy cycles and severe cramps along with PCOS, hence, my OB suggested the mirena. I have had it in for about 3 weeks now, I have bled all of that except for about 4 days, not to mention I had my first cycle after birth of Indy that ended two days before it was put in. We will see how it goes, I really don't want to get pregnant for at least 5 more years and thats how long its good for.

I should say that I chose this IUD because of its effectiveness with shorter periods and lessening the cramping. Not to mention its 99% birth control.

Elizabeth
11/20/03 Indigo E. (born with no PE @ 37 weeks, 5lbs 13oz) (Pg Issues:hypertension(atenolol),hyperemesis, hypothyroidism, cancer remission, asthma, 8cm blood clot @3wks)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/i/indigopage/
11/17/95 m/c @14wks
1/97 m/c @3wks
2/98 m/c @5wks
8/02 m/c @3wks
5thtymachrm

Postby iamwonderwoman » Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:02 pm

I just had my IUD put in on Friday. I got the copper ParaGuard. I have heard a lot of good and my doctor really like them. I have felt great. I only had cramps for a few hours.
WW

DS 12/6/01 Pre-E 37 wks
DD 6/22/03 Pre-E 36 wks
iamwonderwoman

Postby sjs40 » Wed Feb 11, 2004 01:02 am

I said I would update re my experience with Mirena iud - I have now had it for 3 months and to my delight I have only had spotting every month. Well, I think it is spotting! Having had such heavy bleeding before this is so much easier, but maybe it is just 'normal' bleeding.... Anyway, so far so good.

Sue (40)
Chris (37)
DD Eleanor Susan (Ellie)
born at 27wks severe PE
24 July 03 - 20 August 03
sjs40

Postby 5thtymachrm » Wed Feb 11, 2004 08:07 am

I thought I'd put in my experience too since I am also on the mirena. It has been in for 5 weeks now and I haven't stopped bleeding, some days are light some are heavy and I have constant twinges of pain through my whole pelvis. I really hope this thing settles down soon. The paperwork says possible bleeding for the first 3-6 months, if this keeps up my dh and I are never going to be intimate again[:(]

Elizabeth
11/20/03 Indigo E. (born with no PE @ 37 weeks, 5lbs 13oz) (Pg Issues:33 weeks of bedrest!, PIH(atenolol),hyperemesis, hypothyroidism, cancer remission, asthma, 8cm blood clot @3wks)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/i/indigopage/
11/17/95 m/c @14wks
1/97 m/c @3wks
2/98 m/c @5wks
8/02 m/c @3wks
5thtymachrm

Postby sjs40 » Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:12 am

Elizabeth....I forgot to mention that I get twinges of pain quite regularly. I am so excited not to suffer the heavy bleeding I tend to forget the pains, but they are there, and they are annoying!

Sue (40)
Chris (37)
DD Eleanor Susan (Ellie)
born at 27wks severe PE
sjs40

Postby sarab » Wed Feb 11, 2004 05:10 pm

I guess I must have missed this thread before, but here's my two cents...[:D]

I got the Paragaurd (copper T) inserted back in October. I do not do well with hormones (depression and mood issues), so opted against the mirena. Immediatly following, I had the WORST cramps, that lasted for several days. I was told afterwards that it was probably so painful because I had not ever had a vaginal delivery, anyone else heard this? Anyway, for the first few months I had FREQUENT stabbing pains, which have been gradually subsiding, but, I am I sad to say, that I am STILL having bleeding. It is down to spotting, but (TMI here, sorry) I haven't had one day with out bleeing since Maggie was born eight months ago! [:0] I was told to expect some bleeing for possibly up to six months following insertion, so I haven't worried about it too much until just these past few weeks. I am now starting to think more and more that it has something to do with my PCOS, and I'm going to wind up on hormones of some sort to regulate me anyway. [:(]

I had heard great things about IUDs from several friends, and so it kind of came as a shock to have so much pain after I got it. But things have calmed down now (except the bleeding, which may be something else entirely), so if it keeps from getting pregant for awhile, it was worth it.

Sara, 23
Acting President, Utah Chapter

DH, Scott, 25
Maggie Lylas, 6/9/03, 29 weeks, severe pre-e
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/maggielylas/
sarab
Site Admin

Postby kim » Wed Feb 11, 2004 09:16 pm

Sara,

I had pretty bad cramps for the first few days after insertion and my first period after having it in was horrendous, but my cycles are back to normal again. Sorry you are still having issues with it.

However, yesterday I had my first yearly exam with the IUD in, and I had HORRIBLE cramping all night last night (the ob said to expect it). Just another reason to hate my annual humiliation exam.

Take care,

Kim Schwintz
Texas Chapter President

Ainsley Kathryn 11/26/02-36 Weeks Preeclampsia
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/ainsleyk/
kim

Postby kguthrie » Wed Feb 11, 2004 09:27 pm

Hi Marcy.
After preclampsia with two children I had the same fears. I chose the Mirena. Two years later and I love it. It is effective and safe. And long term. But if you change your mind it can safely be removed. I have been pleased. Good luck!
quote:
Originally posted by marcyalwin

Can anyone give me any personal info/input on IUD's? As most of you can probably relate, after the traumatic birth of our daughter, we're deliberating as to whether or not we will try for another child. In the meantime, we're looking for a birth control method that suits us. I don't want to go on the pill because after PE the whole clotting thing scares me and my maternal grandmother had serious problems with clots. It seems like a copper IUD is probably the best choice, but I don't know anyone who has used this. Can you guys offer some input?
Thanks in advance!
Marcy

Emma 07/23/02 - 38 weeks - HELLP/Eclampsia

kguthrie

Postby sjs40 » Thu Feb 12, 2004 01:26 am

Sara, I have pcos too and for me it caused too much thickening of the womb lining and really heavy bleeds,hence my use of Mirena now. I think there could be some link between not having had a vaginal delivery. When my Mirena was put in the dr had difficulty with it, then commented that yes, although I had a child, it was an early c-section so my insides were basically like I had not had a child!

Sue (40)
Chris (37)
DD Eleanor Susan (Ellie)
born at 27wks severe PE
sjs40

PreviousNext

Return to After your baby is born .....