stay at home mom ? UPDATE

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
deerhart

Re : stay at home mom ? UPDATE

Postby deerhart » Thu Dec 29, 2005 07:24 pm

Also remember if you go to private self paid coverage (versus through your work insurance) you may run into problems with pre-existing conditions and having to pass physicals and such. This could be a major problem if there are lasting effects from things like prematurity or the preeclampsia.
They can refuse to cover things like hypertension medication, asthma, any pre-existing condition for at least a year (if not write it out of the entire policy) when they create the coverage.

julie f

Postby julie f » Thu Dec 29, 2005 06:53 pm

I'd also shop around some insurance plans. I don't have any personal knowledge but by some of the ads I see, there may be some that are reasonable. The one thing I've heard though from people with private insurance is that they don't often cover pregnancy.

Also, you can check any associations that you are members of. Sometimes they'll be able to offer better rates because you're joining as a group vs. an individual family.

meg

Postby meg » Thu Dec 29, 2005 06:39 pm

Gosh, I dont know about insurance. I guess just shop around she see how much private insurance really does cost. I think they have policies that are cheaper but dont cover much of basic expenses, but its there for a catoshtophic illness,etc.

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 29, 2005 06:30 pm

I have the same question as you Tina. I provide insurance so I've always been scared to leave work since really that's my only contribution. We could survive on my husbands income, but we would be ruined if something happened. So I'm curious to the responses you get. Any ideas out there??

teenster3

Postby teenster3 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 06:24 pm

I wrote once about this topic but didn't get many responses to it.
My question is: what do you do if you want to stay home with your child BUT I'm the one carrying the Health Insurance for hubby & family?!!!
I've found that health insurance on it's own is extremely costly.
I would give almost anything to stay home with Wyatt & be there for him to take him places & not have my parents having to "raise him during the day while I work."
I guess that it's just not fesible for us unless I found a job working from home with benefits....which is also hard to find.
My hubby can not change jobs either because he makes a decent income for us.

akemt

Postby akemt » Thu Dec 29, 2005 05:32 pm

Taryn, I totally agree. That's why if/when we adopt, we'll be getting older children!

And Meg, there are LOTS of days I wish I were in your shoes! LOL

Best of luck everyone!

meg

Postby meg » Thu Dec 29, 2005 05:27 pm

I really understand that too! Last year when I was on maternity leave for 3 months I almost totally went nuts without adult conversation. I drove DH nuts b/c he was the only adult I ever saw or talked too! I felt SO much better mentally after going back to work after the mat. leave!

thw75

Postby thw75 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 05:13 pm

I wanted to chime in again and say that staying home for me has been the hardest job I've ever had. I do feel its best for our situation, but personally it was a BIG life change for me, especially when Kay was a baby, and many days I was wishing like crazy to be working outside the home instead of doing laundry AGAIn, etc etc. I also had LOTS of dumb ideas about how a SAHM life would be....had no idea how monotonous, tiresome, and lonely it in fact is/was. Now that I have a toddler, its much better, because we can go do stuff and I am psyched to be able to do things with her - but when she was a baby - a sick baby - it felt like * on earth a lot of days -- honestly, altho many people think babies are the best thing in the world, I have to say I enjoy her much more at 2 than I ever did as an infant. I am trying to mentally prepare myself for having 2 kids at home -- I think its going to be super hard until I adjust to the baby lifestyle again. Anyway ... just thinking aloud. The hardest part is lack of adult conversation -- we live in a rural area and I don't know many people, nor are there many playgroups/clubs that don't cost $$$ so socializing is really tough.

meg

Postby meg » Thu Dec 29, 2005 05:07 pm

wow, that does suck! My dh only gets 10 paid vacation days but he also gets 10 paid sick days ( which he can fudge on, you know) plus he gets a few holidays off. And still I feel like he is hardly ever off. I get the 2 weeks at Christmas ( currently on those) and 1 week at Spring break and 3 days at Thanksgiving and then summer of course is the big one, its 8 weeks! plus I get 6 sick and 6 personal days a year. I think if I had a job where I didnt have that much time off and/or one that I felt like was just a job and not a career, then I would want to be a SAHM too. But as it is, I am happy!!

wcarder

Postby wcarder » Thu Dec 29, 2005 04:54 pm

Meg, I so envy you and your passion for what you do...and especially your twelve weeks off!!!! I get....(are you ready for this???) 40 hours of paid personal time a year!!!! It's a crime!!!!!!!!!! If I had that kind of time off, I would be able to make it to those classroom parties... *sigh*

Return to “After your baby is born .....”