stay at home mom ? UPDATE

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
annbaby3

Re : stay at home mom ? UPDATE

Postby annbaby3 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 02:08 am

I started babysitting other kids during the day when my second was born. Right now I only watch my niece, but I work part time as a tutor during the evening when my husband is home (2x a week). Not as much as working full time, but it definately helps. When my second was born I had 1 full time and 2 part time kids. I made just about what I did when I worked full time minus what I paid for day care for my 1 child.

julie f

Postby julie f » Wed Dec 28, 2005 07:20 pm

You know what is sad that Dh and I realized after I stopped working - how much of my salary we wasted on things we can't even remember...[B)] When we went to one income, it was initially a bit of a shock but we make it. Now we don't notice it as much except for times like Christmas or vacations... We don't eat out too much and I don't have the latest fashions... Our indulgences are a lot smaller than they used to be and when we do something to the house (carpet, dishwasher, etc.) we wait for a 0% financing deal to come around and then take the amount of time to pay it off. But, it is all absolutely worth it! Looking back, knowing that we could've lived without the money I was making - I am so mad that we didn't just bank it all away... Live and learn right?!

Good luck, I know it's a hard decision. Maybe you guys could agree to a trial period of a year. If it's too hard financially, you could look for another job after that?

korie

Postby korie » Wed Dec 28, 2005 05:47 pm

I think it would be wonderful if you could swing it. I plan to do the same when this baby comes. After childcare, gas, eating lunch out and paying for work clothes I would be just breaking even. I plan on watching a friends two kids to make some extra money. Maybe you could find someone and do the same just to make a little extra. It is a very hard decision to make, but I am sure it will be worth it!
Korie[:D]

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Wed Dec 28, 2005 05:15 pm

Cable, cell phones, call waiting/caller ID, netflix, internet access: These are all things that can be cut back on to basic, or cut out. Really look at your expenses and cut what you don't need - you will be surprised to see what you don't need but are paying for anyways. Also, you won't need any work clothes, you can probably cook more at home, eat out less. I say go for it if you want to, they are only young once!! Good luck to you.

Joy

thw75

Postby thw75 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 05:11 pm

Are you paying child care? Commuting expenses? Lunch? Clothing? You may be surprised how little you are actually 'taking home' when you subtract the taxes and expenses associated with working. I know for us, with me working we make less than $150 a month after all is said and done. That's fairly easy to eliminate with little changes. I shop at thrift stores, clip cupons, very rarely go out to eat. The sacrifice for us is well worth it.

peanutsmom

stay at home mom ? UPDATE

Postby peanutsmom » Wed Dec 28, 2005 04:55 pm

I am currently working full time and have a three year old and 9 month old. I would really like to quit working outside the home and be with my kids. I bring home 1/3 of the family income, so dh is main breadwinner. Any tips or suggestions on how to make it work financially? What have you all done to live on less money? Did you go to one car or make other sacrifices? Dh knows I want to stay home and I think he would like it, but is worried about money. I never thought I would want to quit work, but I just can't stop thinking about how much I want to be home with the girls.

Return to “After your baby is born .....”