Post Reply FAQ Members Login

breast pumps, although a little off topic

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

breast pumps, although a little off topic

Postby buffy » Mon Nov 24, 2003 07:21 am

Hi all! I am due in 3 weeks and my ob has told me to get a medela breast pump. I will be returning ot work(35 hr work weeks) after my leave and she wants me to be prepared and practiced up before I go back. I was wondering if any of you have any advice for my on this brand of pump or myabe another brand that you have found to work well for you. She has told me that if I don't want to purchase one becaue they are expensive that I should rent one from the local hospital. I have not clue on this sort of thing, since this is my first baby. Any advice would be appreciated.
Have a Blessed Day!
Buffy
buffy

Re : breast pumps, although a little off topic

Postby laura » Mon Nov 24, 2003 07:57 am

That was really good advice from your doc- the Medela ones you rent are hospital grade, and work realllllly well once you get the hang of it.

Laura-28
DH Jack-30
Allie 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Baby Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby season » Mon Nov 24, 2003 08:27 am

Medela pumps are great. If you are planning to carry it to/from work then I recommend buying one. The rentals are quite heavy. The ones you purchase come contained in carrying case, with a place to store the bottles etc.

SueAnn
dh Kwame
ds Ezekiel 1/2/02 (34wks due to pre-e)
season
Forum Moderator

Postby laura » Mon Nov 24, 2003 08:32 am

They are heavy and not as easy for transporting no doubt about it...but I'm glad I didn't buy one because I didn't end up using it for long and you can't return them! So with #2 I rented, and if it had looked like it was going to work for us, I was going to buy one. On Ebay[:)]

Laura-28
DH Jack-30
Allie 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Baby Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby catherine » Mon Nov 24, 2003 09:57 am

Got to butt in here Laura. Medela pumps are excellent. I've had a Pump N'Style which has lasted me through 3 kids, so works out as already over two years worth of pumping in it. If you are determined that you want to breastfeed then it is worth spending the money and having the pump ready to go. It gets you over the agony of engorgement, allows you to build up a "stash" of milk before you go back to work and gives you a chance to slip away for some free time and leave the baby with a bottle and a willing helper for "practicing". Pricewise, do the math, if you aren't sure if you think it's going to work out then rent, but then consider that you will want to buy. My attitude was "it's my first but hopefully not my last kid". So factor the cost of formula against the purchase of the pump and after 4 months on kid number 1, everything else has been free woooHOOOOO! Pumping is a really great way of soothing "mommy guilt" when you go back to work. I've had all of my kids in daycare by 14 weeks (less 10-12 for the latter two) and it is hard to hand over their care and you do feel better when they are getting something that important and unique from you. Not to mention wonderful immunity that you really need in the daycare situation.

Catherine (37)
DH, Dave (40)
Finn (6)
Lucy (2)
Chloe (7/2/03)
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby buffy » Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:14 am

Thank you all for the great advice. I have been looking on ebay for a couple of hours not(great minds think alike, Laura). I am determined to breast feed, I have been having some "leakage" for the past 6 weeks or so and I have grown almost 3 cup sizes since I conceived so I don't think that there will be a problem. I decided to start looking for pupms because I don't want the expense of formula, and having to mix it and all the other inconveinences of formula feeding. I want that bond and know that it is beneficial for the baby as well as the mom. My mom never had problems, that is until she got implants, but that's not a problem I have. I think that I will invest in buying one, not just for me but I think that even if I don't use it for that long one of my three sisters will be needing it in the future. Thanks again for the advice, now I just have to chose which model will work for me.
-Buffy
DD 12/16/03- Audrey Faith!!
buffy

Postby catherine » Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:24 am

Buffy, try snooping around sites like www.breastisbest.com and others. They sell everything including spare parts and extras. I know that Medela makes some "extras" to help out women at upper and lower ends of the "boob spectrum". Finding stuff that helps you to personalize the pump helps a lot I think.

Catherine (37)
DH, Dave (40)
Finn (6)
Lucy (2)
Chloe (7/2/03)
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby paljane8 » Mon Nov 24, 2003 07:00 pm

Hey Buffy,

I LOVE the medela hospital pump and I wish I had spent the money on a good one since we pumped exclusively for the 1st 9 weeks. I bought a Lansinoh knock off and really hated it because it is not as efficient as the medela (which I ended up renting anyway). What I love is the hands free bustier-it is worth the $35.00! Also love my car jack plug in. [:I]

Nancy-35
dh-34
ds-8yrs
dd-7yrs
Scott-born 05-14-99 @38 weeks-PE
Janie-born 05-12-03 @37 weeks-PIH, small for gestational age (oligo and low blood flow)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/4/4lbs/
paljane8

Postby rach » Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:16 pm

I got an Evenflo electric pump. Battery powered OR plug in. It works GREAT!
The day we came home from the hospital was the day Eva decided NOT to eat, so I had to pump with a little manual pump the hospital gave me [we had a 5 hour drive home!] and it broke! When I got home, I was so engorged, my cheapie no-name brand pump wouldn't work, so my boyfriend ran out and bought the Evenflo one. It was a godsend and it worked great!
It cost about 40$

Mom to Eva born @ 35 weeks

http://frontiernet.net/~arioch82/eva
rach

Postby buffy » Tue Nov 25, 2003 06:16 am

Could it be more technique than brand of pump that makes pumping better or worse? I was told that last night and since this is my first and obviously she is not here I have not clue how good I will be at pumping. I found a few medela pump in style pumps on ebay anywhere from $121.00 to $250.00. Obviously I would get the cheaper, but I have a thing with used ones, I get kind of creaped out so I have only been looking at the new ones. Is there anyone who has purchased a used one and knows the pros and cons?
I'm sorry to make this such a big thing but it is very important to me and I want to make the right chioce.[^]
Thanks to all!
-Buffy
buffy

Next

Return to After your baby is born .....