Post Reply FAQ Members Login

breast pumps, although a little off topic

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Re : breast pumps, although a little off topic

Postby laura » Tue Nov 25, 2003 08:36 am

Don't get a used one! The pump in styles are one person pumps, and breastmilk can carry disease just like any other bodily fluid.

I think the new pump in styles were $360 here in town at a pharmacy, and you can buy them for $190-220 on Ebay, new from authorized Medela dealers. If you're having problems finding a good one, email me, and I'll find a good listing for you. Just make sure your listing says "authorized medeal dealer" and "new in box" or never opened.

Laura-28
DH Jack-30
Allie 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Baby Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby laura » Tue Nov 25, 2003 08:42 am

Oh yes, and some of the differences in pumps are because of the size of the motor and sucking power of the pump- so- hospital grade (often the medela Lactina) is the strongest, the next would be like the pump in style, followed by the other often battery powered ones you can find in the stores. If it uses batteries, you probably don't want it at first.

My lactation consultant had recommended renting the hospital grade medela to get my supply started- as they are the best for getting started. And they could suck a golf ball through 20 feet of garden hose[:p]

Laura-28
DH Jack-30
Allie 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Baby Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby jsilvas » Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:44 am

I always thought you could buy a new set of all the plastic parts and still use a used pump, but I don't know. I haven't shopped around for new ones in five years. I am still using my pump in style from '98. I used it this time around when Ella was in the hospital for the first week. It worked so well I had too much milk when she came home. I'll be using it again when I go back to work next week. [:(]

Jeanette - 29
Louis - 31
Ethan - 6/8/98 (36 weeks 4 days - PIH)
Ella - 10/3/03 (36 weeks 6 days - PIH)
jsilvas

Postby season » Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:45 am

Since, ideally, your baby will be getting your milk supply started, then you probably won't need a hospital grade pump. Those of us who pumped before we ever nursed became good friends with the Medela hosptial grade pump, but for part time pumping a Pump-in-Style should be good enough. Some have menioned other brands, and I know they work for some poeple. But, Medela has mastered the suck, release cycle similar to how an infant nurses. This makes switching form pumping and nursing easier, as your body gets similar (obvioulsy not the smae) stimulous.

I second the only buy a new Pump-in-Style. They are not designed for more than one user. The hospital grade pumps are (thus why they can be rented.)

Hope that helps.

SueAnn
dh Kwame
ds Ezekiel 1/2/02 (34wks due to pre-e)
season
Forum Moderator

Postby buffy » Tue Nov 25, 2003 01:04 pm

Ok I think that I will get a new pump in style, the online sellers are medela retailers and have a 30 day money back guarantee( as long as it is in the box of course) so I think that is the way I will go, and I won't open it until it's time and I am sure that I will use it. I am praying for nursing to come naturally but ever woman is different. So we will see. You ladies are awesome thanks again for the advice![:)]
AlthoughI'm not sure about the golf ball and hose!![:p]
Have a blessed holiday!!
-Buffy
buffy

Postby catherine » Tue Nov 25, 2003 01:56 pm

Little hint before you spend the money,.. check the Canadian retailers, sometimes you can do very well on the differences between the dollars [;)], it's not just prescription medication!!!

Catherine (37)
DH, Dave (40)
Finn (6)
Lucy (2)
Chloe (7/2/03)
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 05, 2003 07:54 pm

I got the medela pump in style ADVANCED new in box for $210. It has a better suck at the beginning to stimulate let down than the regular pump in style models. Hope this helps!

Nikki-29
Jared - DH
Skyla & Haley 12-16-98 (twins, 33 weeks)
Liam 8-16-03 (39 weeks, PIH)

Previous

Return to After your baby is born .....