High blood pressure forever??

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
mamc2003

Re : High blood pressure forever??

Postby mamc2003 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 04:26 pm

Marlee,

After DD1, my pressures were on the very high side of normal at 6wks. By three months, it was back down to 120/80. After DD2, my bps were very very high at 6wks and had come down to something manageable with meds by 3 months. My DD2 turned 2 in Dec and I'm still on meds and probably will always be on meds.

So, maybe your body just needs a little bit more time to set itself straight. In any case, it's good you're getting it checked out at the clinic. Update us when you can. Good luck.

marlee

Postby marlee » Tue Mar 14, 2006 02:23 pm

Thanks so much! It really helps to be able to find others who can help give me some answers to questions that worry me.. Now I know what I can possibly expect and not let it get to me. :) Thanks again!

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Tue Mar 14, 2006 01:16 pm

Hi Marlee
My blood pressure has just recently returned to a moral normal stage (finally under 130/80) and my youngest hcild is 3.5 years old.

SO yes I think in some people it does take awhile for our bodies to correct themselves, if it even can correct itself.

Personally, I think its a bit to soon to expect your body to be back to normal after 6 weeks, esepcially consdiering it took 9 months (40 weeks) to get where it was!

jillmushet

Postby jillmushet » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:47 am

Marlee: I'm not sure if I will ever see my pre-preg blood pressure again! My blood pressure is now higher than before pregnancy, but still in the normal range. Good luck with your evaluation...

sarab
Site Admin

Postby sarab » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:19 am

Hi Marlee! I know how frustrating it is to find out your BP is not returning to normal as planned, and you may have chronic hypertension. It's just the icing on the cake after recovering from preeclampsia, isn't it? [xx(]

After my first pregnancy, my BP returned to more or less "normal" after a few months. After the second pregnancy (both were complicated by preeclampsia), it was a good six months before my pressures came down. Even now they are higher than my prepregnancy "normal" ever was, although not high enough need treatment, thankfully.

To go along with what Laura said, sometimes preeclampsia can "unmask" a predisposition to chronic hypertension, meaning that maybe your genes have already determined that you would be higher risk to suffer from it later in life, but the pregnancy put a stress on your body and brought it out earlier. Sometimes it may go away on it's own, sometimes it will go away after several months on meds, or in some cases, people are dealing with it for years. Sadly, there are quite a few members here who had no BP issues before becoming pregnant, but now have chronic hypertension, even years after delivery.

In my case, I like to think that I have been given a "heads up" that chronic htn may be lurking in my future, and can take steps now (watch what I eat, exercise more, etc.) to hopefully ward it off later in life. I guess only time will tell if that's really the case...

Let us know how things go at your clinic this week, and what your midwife says. Good luck!

laura

Postby laura » Tue Mar 14, 2006 00:32 am

Nope, you're just fine posting here! Welcome, I'm so glad you found us!

You know, our docs say that if your postpartum hypertension persists past six weeks, you likely have chronic hypertension that is hanging around that probably triggered your PE.

Now, with my first child, my hypertension persisted for around six weeks and then went away. With my second child, it came early and stuck around (my "baby" is nearly three!) and I've had to come to terms with the fact that it is chronic hypertension that caused this whole cascade of events to come about. The good news is that once you have the bebe, it isn't usually as necessary to watch the BP very closely- when you're pregnant, you have to be cautious because the placenta gets touchy with high BP, but postpartum it is more of a long term health kind of concern.

I hope this made some sense and helps a bit!

marlee

Postby marlee » Tue Mar 14, 2006 00:07 am

Uhoh.. I hope my post above isn't in the wrong forum.. If so, can someone move it if it needs to be?
Thanks!

marlee

High blood pressure forever??

Postby marlee » Tue Mar 14, 2006 00:04 am

It's been just over 6wks now and I still am having some issues with my blood pressure being a little on the high side sometimes.

I stopped taking my meds on my own a while back (I know.. I'm a horrible patient "sometimes")
and was checking my b/p once daily with it varying from nice to more on the low side.
Well, today my diastolic was 90 (systolic 125) for my six week check-up and the midwife now wants me to go into the clinic for the next five days to see what my pressure looks like. If they are like that again, then I need to find some kind of other meds to go on.

She said not to go back on the meds I had because sometimes my pressure is pretty good if not more on the lower (good) side. I wouldn't do that anyway because I don't know if that could hurt me more having okay pressure most of the time.

I thought this was going to even out by six weeks pp? Does it seem to take longer in some people to even out?
I thought I read somewhere that some people may forever need meds. Is that true?

Thanks for taking the time to help out. :)

Return to “After your baby is born .....”