New/Reply FAQ Members Login

Reflux poll...

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Reflux poll...

Postby angela » Wed Dec 03, 2003 07:36 pm

I was just reading that some other babies on this board have reflux. I want to take a poll to find out how many babies have this and how are they being treated?
Could this be related to being delivered early? Hadley was only 3 weeks early, however she was REALLY jaudice and didn't gain weight well until she was almost 3 weeks old. Maybe the reflux could be relate?

Hadley has reflux and is being treated with Zantac 2X per day
Angela
angela

Re : Reflux poll...

Postby kim » Wed Dec 03, 2003 07:44 pm

Ainsley had HORRIBLE reflux. We had to use a formula called Enfamil AR (Added Rice Starch for thickness) and she tried Zantac, Reglan and Prilosec. If the reflux is still bad, I would push for the Prilosec. It worked wonders.

At 12 months, she's off all meds, but still has some reflux. Oh, and Ainsley was born at 36 weeks. Also, did you have hyperemesis? There is a study being done because LOTS of moms with hg have babies with reflux.
Take care,

Kim Schwintz
Texas Chapter President

Ainsley Kathryn 11/26/02-36 Weeks Preeclampsia
http://home.austin.rr.com/schwintz
kim

Postby buffy » Thu Dec 04, 2003 08:36 am

Just a little note, something you may not know. I was born right on time and my mom did not have pree. But they thought thatI had reflux and treated me for almost 5 weeks for it until the doc finally did some tests and found that I had pylenoric stenosis. THey said that out of 1000 cases in newborns that only 1 is female! That was me. I actually had to have surgery to correct it, it is where the tube coming from the stomach to the small intestines grows too quick and closes up. I couldn't and wouldn't digest anything. I am unsure if this helps anyone but I know that it is rare and docs don't look for it, because it is so rare. So maybe if you are having severe problems getting you baby to keep food down then you might want o bring that up to the doc, It couldn't hurt.
-Buffy
buffy

Postby raindrop » Thu Dec 04, 2003 07:56 pm

Wyatt had reflux semi bad until about 2 wks ago, I took him off of the meds he was taking to see if he was any better and so far...[:p][:p]..fingers crossed... [:D]he is doing fine. I still add cereal to his formula and he is taking Similac Alimentum. He was taking Zantac 2x a day then I had them change him to Tagament and it was also 2x a day.[:p]

He is also a little porker now... he weighs right at 15lbs now.[:0]

Donna - 32
Richard - 32
Whitney Lynn Rochelle- 6-27-99 - (36 wks due to PE) 5lbs 2oz 18in long
Wyatt Elijah Lawrence- 7-3-03 (34wks 6days due to PIH/PE) 4lbs 6.8oz 17in long

http://www.geocities.com/raindropzplace/Wyatt.html?1057812569412

http://www.imagestation.com/member/?name=raindrop1971
raindrop

Postby paljane8 » Sat Dec 06, 2003 09:47 pm

My #2 child had reflux so bad that she would launch across the room. In addition to some of the other things mentioned we had that wedge that elevates their head in the bassinet when they sleep. She also slept in the car seat many nights. I can't remember when she finally outgrew it but, we did not have to do the surgery which initially the Ped. thought would happen.

Nancy-35
dh-34
ds-8yrs
dd-7yrs
Scott-born 05-14-99 @38 weeks-PE
Janie-born 05-12-03 @37 weeks-PIH, small for gestational age (oligo and low blood flow)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/4/4lbs/
paljane8

Postby michelle » Tue Dec 09, 2003 02:10 pm

Travler was born at 34.5 weeks and totally healthy. He went home with me in 3 days. After 2 weeks he developed reflux. He was put on Reglan and Previcid. I am not a big fan of the Reglan but our doctor says it is what he needs. He is much better as far as pain goes and he is gainging weight and eating. He does spit up alot more than he did.

Michelle (in Texas)

Michelle
michelle

Postby maxs mom » Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:13 pm

My max was 25 weeks and the GI doc thought he had reflux, so we treated him first with Zantac, the with Prevacid, hands down the Prevacid tasted way better (I tasted both [:)]) Anyhow, symptoms never improved and I finally thought it might be a severe milk allergy, and it was. Max is on Neocate and my Breast Milk. I eat no diary and Max rarely throw's up anymore (OK, so sometimes I don't read all of the ingredients in everything I eat)

My friend had a full term baby who had reflux. Her baby liked the Zantac, and it worked. It seems like preemies are more prone to reflux, but a full termer can definitely get it too.

Kara
Mom to Max, 25 weeker, 1/20/03
maxs mom

Postby aimeejane » Tue Dec 30, 2003 08:29 am

Nicky had pretty bad reflux...that was what caused most of his brachycardia episodes. Once he went on Zantac and Reglan, it began to clear up pretty quickly, and he was able to come off his apnea monitor a week before he was six months old.

Aimee - 28
Dh - 30
Ds Nicky - 3/24/00 (28 wks - eclampsia)
Ds Kalen - 7/10/03 (36 weeks - preeclampsia)
aimeejane

Postby leighann » Fri Jan 02, 2004 09:27 pm

Gabby has reflux. We're going to discuss weaning off Zantac at her 6mo appt. She no longer relapses if we miss a dose or 2, so we could probably stop it anytime. She is on 1.7cc 3x a day.

Leighann 26
DH-Charles 30
DD- Gabrielle Marie born 7/23/03, 12:45am at 37.5 weeks due to pre-e
She weighed 6lb 8oz and was 18 inches long!
http://www.imagestation.com/members/mrslmfuller Click that link to see my imagestation albums
leighann

Postby hutced » Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:53 am

Evan is 2 months old now and has been diagnosed with reflux. He would cry for an hour or more after he would eat. We tried to reduce the amount he ate per feed (he is a little porker) and feed more often, Evan did not like this at all. He was put on zantac and reglan over a week ago with no luck. Goes back to pedi next week hopefully something else will work and make my little one happy.

Denise
Emily 3-6-02 41 1/2wks
Evan 10-21-03 35wks 5lbs6oz,PIH/PE
hutced

Next

Return to After your baby is born .....