When is it safe to take preemies out?

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
lucy

Re : When is it safe to take preemies out?

Postby lucy » Mon May 22, 2006 07:13 am

I plan on keeping this baby in except when absolutely neccesary for the first 6 months and not allowing many people over, after losing my daughter because of a contagious illness after she was born healthy I def wont take any chances.

I would def do what you feel most comfortable with and dont worry about people that dont understand. Many hugs and good luck.

jenndola
Forum Moderator

Postby jenndola » Mon May 22, 2006 02:12 am

Gabe didn't have his official "debut" until he was about 7 months--when RSV season was officially over in Utah. It's difficult when others don't understand, but you can take comfort in the knowledge that you're doing what's best for your daughter. An additional weapon I had on my side was the fact that Gabe's pediatrician gave us strict orders to keep him out of crowds until April. If you're unsure about what level of exposure is appropriate, or when it's safe to take her out in public, check with your pediatrician. He or she should be able to let you know. And then when people complain, you can explain that you're simply doing what the doctor feels is best.

But honestly--you're the mom! And if the simple explanation of, "She's a preemie and I don't feel comfortable having her in public until her actual due date" isn't adequate for someone, I think they'll just have to deal with it!

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Sun May 21, 2006 12:26 am

As everyone has said, newborns and hundreds of well-meaning fingers do not mix - and that goes triple for preemies. Jay was a 30-weeker and spent 8 weeks in the NICU, before coming home just before a bitterly cold Xmas. We kept him in for three weeks with no visitors until after his due date. Even then, we limited his exposure and didn't take him to supermarkets/malls for quite a while. But once the weather improved and it was clear he was fine, we were more relaxed, if still a little cautious.

thw75

Postby thw75 » Sun May 21, 2006 09:02 am

Limiting visitors is really a good idea for all new babies until they are about 8 weeks old and have their first round of shots and have themselves somewhat organized. During RSV season, I wouldn't take a preemie (or newborn) to any public place personally. I dont' know if there is a rule of thumb for a fine 34 weeker....my first was very ill and small at 27 weeks, so it was sort of a different situation. My second was a normal sized 36 weeker and I felt fine having people over after a couple of weeks.

darcynulph

Postby darcynulph » Sat May 20, 2006 12:18 am

My dd was 10wks early(4/19/05) and in the nicu for 7 weeks. She only went out to the Doctor and only her Grandparents and one neighbor saw her until she was 5/mo and then she only went to daycare (small in home care) until rsv season was over in April. There were a few trips to the grocery store and to friends homes after she was about 9/mo old. I know that I am paranoid, but that is what I did to feel safe with her.

jen44

Postby jen44 » Sat May 20, 2006 11:59 am

I was concerned about the same thing when I had my DS, he was born at 36 weeks. I didn't take him out or barely had anyone over to visit (just our parents and even they had to scrub down before they could come near him) until his due date four weeks later. And even then we were very careful until he was about three months old.

This is what the nurses told me was best when we were released from the hospital. Better be safe than sorry! There's lots of time for everyone to meet her and get to know the your new baby girl. I have heard too many horror stories of what can happen with unknown viruses coming in contact with preemies. Trust your instincts!

laurensmom

When is it safe to take preemies out?

Postby laurensmom » Sat May 20, 2006 11:26 am

I am wondering if there is a rule of thumb that everyone used as to when you felt safe taking your preemie out and about. Also what about vistors coming over? My baby girl was 6 wks early and is 2 wks old now. She did great right from the start. No problems at all just tiny. Is it best to wait until at least her orginal due date before I left vistors come and see her? Everyone keeps asking and they just dont understand she is a preemie and it is different. I dont want to be too overprotective but I dont want her to get sick either. What have you guys done with your little ones?

Return to “After your baby is born .....”