scar tissue, endometriosis and the IUD

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
cara

Re : scar tissue, endometriosis and the IUD

Postby cara » Thu Sep 14, 2006 01:39 pm

I had a lap done a few years back to remove cysts, scar tissue and mild endometriosis. The recovery was not that bad but I didn't have a husband or kids either! The only thing I remember vividly is the gas pockets that cause pain after the surgery. Since they bloat you up with some sort of gas to see, when it has to come out can be painful. The incisions were small and simple, left tiny scars. I felt a WORLD better after the surgery though. As for the anesthesia...(I'm not well versed in this field) all I remember is that they gave me a shot to relax me about an hour before the surgery then I got the gas mask in the OR. I have NO idea what went on after that!

I was having extremely painful periods. It was to the point that I had to go in to get injections of pain meds. The oral stuff wasn't working fast enough or long enough to hold me over til I could take another pill.

I just had a baby 11 weeks ago and have had 1 period so far and it was painful but I'm giving it a good 4-6 months before I call the OB again.

I agree with Rachel on the recovery. I slept the meds off and was walking the next day... a little sore but I was up and around.

I can't tell you which decision to make but I can tell you I am happy that I had mine done. I was a new person after! Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!

holliadrienne

Postby holliadrienne » Sat Sep 09, 2006 07:19 am

miss gamecock,

not to say that procedures are not done differently elsewhere, but i work in healthcare and have had 2 laps myself, and i have always been told and seen in my own career that any abdominal surgery you have to go under general anesthesia for...i understand the nervousness, that is still the worst part for me, but they can give you medicine to help calm you down if you tell them how nervous you are. Both my surgeries I had Versed before I was even take back to the OR, and it helped a lot.

Endo is tough, I was hoping pregnancy would help mine, but I am in severe pain already and I am only 7 weeks PP...I wish you both the best of luck in TTC and with the pain factor...it is very hard TTC with endo, at least for me, because the pain with intercourse is definitely worse than childbirth!

i have done a lot of research on endo, and if you ever have any questions that you forgot to ask your dr or just didn't want to, feel free to ask me...not promising i will know the answer but i will always listen!

Holli

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Fri Sep 08, 2006 07:44 am

Brittani - I posted in misc about my appt. Here's the link - http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18589

I didn't want to hijack your thread. I have all of the same worries as you. Mine was just starting before I got pregnant, went into remission, and then kicked into high gear after she was born. I would be for having noninvasive stuff done (US CT Scan) and then if it is normal, go for it. Endo unless large will not show up on these tests. A friend from another forum I visit told me that when it was time for a lap, I would know. You know what, she was right. I have a lap scheduled 10/9. I am terrified, but I can't deal with this anymore. The other thing is I did not realize how much this has overtaken my life. I have gotten to the point that absolutely NOTHING is scheduled the week of my period and ovulation. As I was leaving the dr's office, I had a wave of relief to A) get an answer B) have a diagnosis now C) know that it is a diagnosis in my chart now so when I call, I'm am not treated as a hyperchondriac D) I may be able to do something without consulting my calendar.

As far as sedation - I have read that it can be done under a regional. That is a question for my dr as well because I have asthma. On one hand I want to be knocked out. On the other hand, I don't want a tube down my throat, kwim. I have a preop appt on the 5th, so I can update and let you know how it is going if you want. If you need to email me, go right ahead and click on my profile. It will link you to my email . I also have a ton of website resources and online support groups. In fact, I have a couple of people who are walking me through the lap process now with what to expect, recovery, etc.

I DID send a big thank you card to the ER dr. I just told her how much I appreciated her kindness and that I had been worried that my pain would have been minimized or that worse no one would believe me and she did. I also put in there that I had talked with my dr and was going for the lap. She should get it by Monday.

I found out yesterday from my dr that the painkiller I got from the ER was Nubain. He said it was heavy stuff.

I will tell you that my dr yesterday told me that this was just a temporary solution. I asked him if I did the lap and continuous birth control, will that get me through the next 12 months till I can ttc again. He said with continuous BCP yes it would. The plan for me (I brought up what I wanted, desired) is to have the lap and do continuous BCP (not Seasonale though as I react badly to it), ttc in 12 months, have that child safely born, and then I would be willing to discuss a more permanent solution.

rachel a

Postby rachel a » Fri Sep 08, 2006 00:16 am

Brittani,

Just wanted to comment on recovery... it's really not a problem. I had to deal with my ten month old and chicken pox while I was recovering. I came home the day of the surgery and slept (mostly the drug wear off), and the next day I was really my normal self. Nothing at all like a c/s (which is what I was expecting).

Whatever decision you make... be comfortable with it.

And Sabrina... I hear you... the things we do! [:I]

brittani

Postby brittani » Thu Sep 07, 2006 09:06 am

After reading everyones response it sounds like mine is just beginning. It doesn't seem quite as bad although I have thought of going to the ER. I'm not to thrilled about General Anthesia (had to have it for last c-section) and I'm a little worried about recovery since I have a 25 pound 10 month old to contend with when its over. Ugh, I am so undecided.

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Thu Sep 07, 2006 06:52 am

Rachel I hear you on the how embarrassing part. That is EXACTLY how I felt in the ER last week. It's bad enough you have to tell your dr you are having problems, but then to have to go to the ER and tell them is even worse! Fortunately I got two awesome nurses and an awesome dr at the ER last week. I am going to actually get a thank you note and send it to the dr at the ER. She was that GREAT.

holliadrienne

Postby holliadrienne » Thu Sep 07, 2006 05:58 am

brittani~

hi there. I have stage 2 endometriosis, and have had two laparoscopies. I had to be on fertility meds to even get preg, and then developed PE...nothing comes easy for me but hey i have a beautiful healthy son so it was all worth it! To me, your pain sounds more like a ovarian cyst (i had a huge one rupture which was laparoscopy number one) than endo...with endo i have pain constantly, unbearable pain on my periods, and it feels like knives during sex...ugh. The cyst I had that ruptured was the size of two grapefruits together, and the dr never felt it during a routine exam. Endo is not dangerous in pregnancy, but it can cause fertility issues. I had a lot of cramping and pain while pregnant which my GYN told me was my endometriosis adhesions stretching...gross i know. Now I am on Seasonale BC where I will only have 4 periods a year, my GYN told us if we want more children not to wait because i may only have a short time of fertility left but we are just going to play it by ear. If you do have endo, you may have to have a lap done before TTC, that is what we did and I was preg 4 months later.

sorry for the novel, hope i helped a little! I work in healthcare and have been thru so much of this myself, so if you have any questions feel free to email me!

take care
Holli

rachel a

Postby rachel a » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:46 pm

Oh... this sounds so familiar. I was having pain on my right ovary with periods and with sex. As a matter of fact, the pain I experienced with sex was so crippling that we loaded up our ten month old and took me to the ER. How embarassing I might add. We did laparoscopy (usually involves two tiny incisions and one slightly larger, still tiny incision for the scope--a laparotomy would involve a much larger abdominal incision) and turned out I had tons of scar tissue... my OB removed the adhesions and I suffered no more--not to mention became pregnant shortly thereafter. Recovery was a breeze--doing normal stuff the next day, and I no longer had any issues.

I understand and hope you can find relief soon!

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Wed Sep 06, 2006 03:49 pm

No problem. Just to let you know about mine. They were extremely heavy, clotty, and very very painful. I have cramping that is really bad. I also have a very sharp stabbing pain in three specific areas of the lower right pelvic side and a very sharp stabbing pain on the lower right back (way low). The bleeding has eased up with the use of bcp. But the pain has not. Pain starts about 2 days before my period with it becoming severe the day before, day of and day after. Then the pain lessens till ovulation. Again at ovulation (midcycle) it is that same sharp stabbing pain, same area for about 2 days. So, I know I have to get answers. I did have questions about an IUD as a solution. However, I intend ttc in about 12 months. So there is no point in putting one in, only for him to yank it out in 10 months. I'll update in the AM. My appt is early.

brittani

Postby brittani » Wed Sep 06, 2006 02:15 pm

Thanks Sabrina, I'll look forward to hearing from you. Good Luck.

Return to “After your baby is born .....”