preemie girl cold weather gear

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Re : preemie girl cold weather gear

Postby annegarrett » Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:43 am

Let's keep it at the chapter level and you can get your friends and neighbors to contribute as well. Right now, until we get our chapters legal status in place, chapters need to send a list to the PF office (include a picture of the item) with its value (Norlisa, can Gordon advise the best way to ensure that chapters don't find themselves getting audited for inflating values? I would guess that we need chapters to send us an inventory with a picture of each item over a certain amount. You won't need to have individual pictures for each item of clothing but maybe a picture of the box a person donates. As with other charities--you tell us what the value of your baby clothes are and just know to keep it honest! We will get our CPA to weigh in--or if any of you are CPAs--feel free to chime in in the meantime).

So chapters itemize and send a list to the national headquarters (be sure to have names and addressed for everyone who wants a tax receipt) with some proof of value and we will take care of the tax receipts.

Host the sale at a home, church, community center
Advertise in schools, churches, senior centers (they have grandkids and are often on a fixed income), the local paper, even get a feature in your paper about it. (contact eleni@preeclampsia.org on how to do that)
All checks MUST be made out to the Preeclampsia Foundation. In the notes box, mark your state or chapter name.
Minus administrative costs, funds will be returned to cover approved chapter programs--like brochures, guest speakers, chapter fundraising events, etc...

Any questions?!! Any ideas???

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Postby annegarrett » Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:44 am

PS: If your chapter is not hosting a sale but you want to collect items to be sold--send them to the national headquarters at 12727 NE 20th St, Suite 16, Bellevue, WA ATTN: Norlisa. Be sure to specify what state they are from (return address should be sufficient).

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Postby paljane8 » Sat Jan 24, 2004 01:04 pm

Anne,

I know of other groups who just have a garage sale at someone's house. They have a sign at the site that says-All proceeds will go to help the ____________ group. I don't think anyone itemizes. The proceeds go into an account and records are kept of where the deposit came from.

It seems that to be worth a tax break for an individual, it would have to be alot of items donated for that person to want a receipt. If someone did, can the one collecting donations write one out?

The truth of it is, that you never know how much will sell anyway. There are still items you end up passing along to other places (i.e. thrift stores) because they don't sell.

Nancy-35
dh-34
ds-8yrs
dd-7yrs
Scott-born 05-14-99 @38 weeks-PE
Janie-born 05-12-03 @37 weeks-PIH, small for gestational age (oligo and low blood flow)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/4/4lbs/
paljane8

Postby annegarrett » Sat Jan 24, 2004 02:43 pm

I am thinking primarily for bigger items--like say a crib that has barely been used. Basically, if you want to get a tax receipt (or one of your friends does) they may be asked to supply proof. I know if I drop clothes off the for Salvation Army I can say this box is worth $50 but if for some reason I get audited I need to have a list of the items and such. Just saying that the PF will need to avoid being put in the position of saying a "crib" worth $10 is actually worth $200. You know? I bet Gordon has some insight on how to tackle that. But yes, in general if no one wants a tax receipt, then it is a non-issue (I think).

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Postby paljane8 » Sat Jan 24, 2004 04:50 pm

Ok. I called my "ahem" sources, I got some clarification on this. Anne, you are right that things need to be documented if receipts are going to be given. Otherwise it has to be stated that these items cannot be tax deductible. Gordon, where are you?

Anyway, one of the groups that does a yearly garage sale takes donations informing donors their items are not tax deductable. That is how they get around it.

Nancy-35
dh-34
ds-8yrs
dd-7yrs
Janie-born 05-12-03 @37 weeks-PIH, small for gestational age (oligo and low blood flow)
paljane8

Postby laura » Sat Jan 24, 2004 05:35 pm

HEY- maybe those of us who don't have active state chapters yet can do the Ebay thing? They have the charitable program on Ebay with all proceeds going to the charity of choice.

http://pages.ebay.com/sell/givingworks/index.html

Laura-28
DH Jack-31
Alicia 5-13-98 (35 weeks-severe PE)
Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby annegarrett » Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:41 am

That is a great idea! Always thinking Laura! ;)

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Postby momathelete » Sun Jan 25, 2004 09:14 pm

Ok,

I have a car that has been sitting in my driveway that I want to donate SOMEWHERE. Can we do stuff like that? How would we figure that out?

Michelle
mom to Cole Thomas -former 28.5 weeker (3-5-99, 3 lbs)due to HELLP and Madelaine Grace "Lainey" -former 29.5 (10-11-01, 3lbs 4oz)weeker due to Pre-E and had PIH with Elisabeth Rose (Ella) -37 weeker,born June 30th 2003 weighing 5 lbs 12 oz and beautiful.
momathelete

Postby momathelete » Sun Jan 25, 2004 09:22 pm

Hey,

My sweetiepie husband just came up with an idea. H said that he would gladly donate money through work like you do with United Way if he had the tax id number of PF. Or, whatever number we have to give. He would rather donate here than United Way. Maybe we can get other people to donate through their work to PF, and advertise as such?

Michelle
mom to Cole Thomas -former 28.5 weeker (3-5-99, 3 lbs)due to HELLP and Madelaine Grace "Lainey" -former 29.5 (10-11-01, 3lbs 4oz)weeker due to Pre-E and had PIH with Elisabeth Rose (Ella) -37 weeker,born June 30th 2003 weighing 5 lbs 12 oz and beautiful.
momathelete

Postby paljane8 » Mon Jan 26, 2004 07:48 pm

Hey Michelle,

That's an awesome idea. Let's ask Elani.

Nancy-35
dh-34
ds-8yrs
dd-7yrs
paljane8

PreviousNext

Return to After your baby is born .....