Newly diagnosed with hypertension

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Newly diagnosed with hypertension

Postby annegarrett » Fri Nov 17, 2006 07:45 pm

I started this thread for myself. (It's all about me, right[:D]) but I thought it would be interesting to have a thread for those who

1) had preeclampsia or a related complication during pregnancy
2) didn't have hypertension after the baby was born BUT
3) developed it later

Which describes me. I have just been diagnosed with hypertension. I am 44 and my youngest is 7. I know research shows 50% of women who had preeclampsia will go on to develop heart disease and so this diagnosis was (a) sort of expected and (b) a wake-up call to start taking better care of myself (exercise and a better diet). Though I hear chocolate and red wine are good for heart disease so it's not all bad news...

I would be curious to hear from others, like me, who had a nice "break" from hypertension but then later developed it.
annegarrett

Re : Newly diagnosed with hypertension

Postby deerhart » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:46 pm

I'm still jumping around all over everywhere, with some readings in the 120/70's and some at 130/89-90.

But right now sort of think its part in partial to a permanent increase due to allergies (seemingly because my BP drops every winter when the mold count goes down)

Doesn't help that I am extremely reluctant to try BP meds again due to an allergic reaction to one (which rules out about half the BP meds I can take) and having asthma (making it a gamble to take the other half available because they could effect my asthma control)
deerhart

Postby cindyh27 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 06:45 pm

Wow... 7 years later after your last bout with PE you developed Hypertension?!? Yikes... for some reason I thought the possible underlying conditions would turn up sooner... this is quite disturbing...

I decided to volunteer to host a PF Walk-A-Thon in 2008 hoping it will help me to get "moving" more *giggle*... you're definitely right about exercise... the whole diet part is SO hard!

((hugs)) to both of you
cindyh27

Postby rosalinda » Fri Jan 04, 2008 08:24 pm

My BP's went back to normal about six week after delivery and I was able to wean off meds when my BP's went back to pre-pregnancy 120's/low 80's.

Ten months later (November 2007) I developed high BP's overnight, in a matter of 6 hours my BP went from 120's/80's to 170/104, so I am now diagnosed as chronic hypertensive and I'm on Atenolol and Nifedipine, which so far have worked well.
rosalinda

Postby halo79rn » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:03 am

Well, yes and no. I was 90-100/60 pre preg. My diastolic stayed over 100 for about 3 wks after Libby was born and then finally below 90 by my 6wk check up with cardiology. But I've noticed I have labile pressures now. it was lower for bit. but 10 months after having her I had my first pre hypertension reading of 130/80. Since then it's been as low at 100/64 and has high as 130/80... just up and down. I foresee b/p meds in my future, although no md has mentioned it yet. Family history (my dad) doesn't help.
halo79rn

Postby summerw77 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 01:47 pm

Sorry to hear that Anne! I had hypertension at 22 and was on tons of meds, so that doesn't describe me LOL BUT I will tell you on my Consult with **** ******'s internist, he spent an hour going over the Mediteranian Diet with me (high in Omega 3's and whole grains) and I think it's on their website, and he said they HIGHLY recommend it for hypertension and cholesterol issues. Maybe you could take a peek at that if you are trying to improve your diet..........I am trying to switch all the way over to it as well. It has zero high fructose corn syrup and no enriched flour. Good luck!
summerw77

Postby blythe » Sun Aug 24, 2008 02:42 pm

Summer, take a look at the DASH diet as well (very similar to the Mediterranean diet, I think). http://dashdiet.org/
blythe

Postby summerw77 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 08:33 am

Just out of curiousity, do you know what our chances are of heart disease for us chronics?
summerw77

Postby annes » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:08 am

Anne, I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I had hypertension (on meds) for almost four years after Parker was born. I got off of it by losing weight and taking care of my other weirdo health issue (hyperparathyroidism) The docs still consider me chronic even though my bps are good. I think I will be dieting for the rest of my life, trying to stay off the meds as long as I can. I also avoid sodium like crazy and drink lots and lots of water, but I retain water like crazy if I even look at a salt shaker. Good Luck.
annes
Forum Moderator

Postby suz65 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:05 pm

I had PE in both of my pregnancies, including one that turned up toward the end of my pregnancy at 37 weeks and continued into the postpartum period (Had to go back to the hospital 4 days postpartum because of bad PE postpartum). After returning home and bed rest for the next few weeks, I still stayed swollen to find out at my 6 weeks checkup that my blood pressure was still very high 160/105 even though the protein was no longer in my urine. I took blood pressure medicine diuretic for another 8 weeks and was fine after that for a few years.

I to developed high blood pressure later on...4 years later when my youngest was in preschool. I noticed I started feeling strange like I did during my pregnancy and had a friend who was a nurse take my blood pressure to find it was high. That was 8 yrs. ago and I am still on blood pressure meds. to this day. Now I have developed high cholestrol and LDL, and just found out I have the genetic MTHFR gene. I am on a low fat cholesterol diet at age 44 and have a marker for arterial inflammation.

Pre-eclampsia & postpartum PE
CT homozygosity MTFHR
High cholesterol
High BP currently
Healthy boys: Andrew -16 yrs.
Michael -12 yrs.
suz65

Next

Return to After your baby is born .....