Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Newly diagnosed with hypertension

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Re : Newly diagnosed with hypertension

Postby dublinmam » Wed Dec 09, 2009 07:38 pm

by dublinmam (36 Posts), Wed Dec 09, 2009 07:38 pm

nice to see this topic!!! i had pe and delivered a7 37+3, i was on methyldopa pre delivery and this made me very drowsy and lethargic. i went on to labetalol after my son was born but i was having night terrors and hallucinating at night also. it also made me very shaky. i agreed to change onto an ace inhibitor and a amlodapine but my bp shot up to 180/124. the on cal doc came to see me and asked me what i was complaining about as my baby was out and safe......i asked her to contact her senior doc as my speech was slurring and my left side of my face was numb. she did speak to him on the phone and he said i was having side effects to the amlodapine. he discharged me on ramipril. the dose of ramipril was halved at my 6 week visit pp but it wasnt back to normal(baseline is 120/70)remained on ramipril for 8 months. stayed off it for over a year then changed gp...every manual check of my bp is fine but i went on a 24hour bp monitor which showed my bp is spiking to 150/107 so back on ramipril again...waiting to see a cardiologist but no appointment until end of feb(going to try to get in next week though) want to try to concieve next year but i cant on ramipril coz it can cause stillbirths/birth defects..............................sorry for the rant
dublinmam

Previous

Return to After your baby is born .....