hypertension

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
adgirl

Re : hypertension

Postby adgirl » Tue Sep 23, 637975 7:25 pm

I was very frustrated post partum as well. My doctor said, "I'm on blood pressure medicine too, it's not that big of a deal -- try cutting out salt and get more exercise" Well, to me it was a big deal, and for me personally, it wasn't about cutting salt or getting more exercise -- it was about my body just getting back to normal after being pregnant. It took about 16 weeks, but I was able to get off of all BP meds. I do watch my salt intake now and exercise more, just to be safe.

Every body is different, it may take you longer to go back to "normal", or maybe pregnancy did in fact unmask chronic hypertension. I would definitely try to see a different doctor who may be able to change your meds. In my case, I had some pretty yucky side effects as well, but only for about 8 weeks. At that point, I guess my body got used to the medication. I was still more than happy to get off of the meds after 4 months though!!!

season
Forum Moderator

Postby season » Mon Sep 22, 637975 1:13 pm

Aimee,

How are you doing? I ma not a doctor but from what I understand soem poeple can control hypertension through diet and exercise. Avpoiding salt and caffeine are importnat - and getting regular ccardio workouts is supposed to helpa s well. I would discuss this with your doctor to make sure that what you are doing is safe for you. Also, I know some people have high bp no matter what they do, frustrating but true.
Also, you sound pretty frustrated with this docotr, cna you switch doctors?
Hopefully for you your bp will level out over the next few motnhs, as your hormones retrun to normal.

mommajo

Postby mommajo » Sat Jun 23, 637973 3:06 am

After my first pregnancy I thought I would be on the BP meds forever but within a few months my BP was dropping too low while on them so I got to get off them. My opinion is that if you are on BP meds you should be getting monitored fairly frequently to ensure the correct dosage and such and if your doctor isn't listening to you about the side effects you are experiencing then that is a problem. In your shoes I may look for a doctor that will listen to me better.

mom29

Postby mom29 » Fri Jun 22, 637973 7:27 pm

Hopefully you will be able to get off the meds. or go on a lower dose of something that will work better for you. Knowing you have to take meds. for life is a big change and it takes awhile to get used to that! A good book I read is Reversing Hypertension by Julian Whitaker M.D. I can't remember if we are allowed to give book recommedations on this website? Not everyone is able to get their bp down with diet, supplements, or exercise though so keep that in mind. A supplement has helped me get my bp down a bit more with the meds. My OB and primary care dr. had different opinions on if the meds. needed to be changed and now with the supplement my bp is in a range that my OB would be happy with. It may be a temporary effect though so I have to wait and see. Also, when I was wishing I could get off the meds. my OB said he'd rather see me on them than off and having a stroke. That changed my attitude.

lbdefelice

Postby lbdefelice » Fri Jun 22, 637973 4:13 pm

After my daughter was born, my BP remained elevated. At that time my OB was unsure how long I would need medication. I was on Procardia as well, and I really didn't have many problems with it. Although, I have heard other women have really bad headaches with Procardia. At my 6 week postpartum mark, I started to wean myself off because my BPs were pretty low being on the Procardia (with the approval of my OB) I am a nurse also, so took my BP 3x/day as I was weaning off. I also had frequent visits with my OB during this time too. I was able to come off the medication, but really had to continue to moniter myself to be sure that my BP would not elevate again. Like others have said, I would give yourself some time. My PE did not develop until 34 weeks and for me, it remained elevated until around my 6 week postpartum mark, but everyone is different. One of my friends who had PIH in her pregnany has been on medication for a few years now. While she didn't have a problem before her pregnancy, both of her parents have hypertension and her BP never got controlled. While you may not need BP medication for your whole life, you may need to be on it for a while, especially if your BPs are running that high. Maybe you can talk with your doctor and try a different medication, one that works for you or maybe get a second opinion with another doctor.

mother bear

Postby mother bear » Fri Jun 22, 637973 1:40 pm

I don't like taking medicine for anything either. I have this problem... I can't swallow pills at all! Not even the tiny little birth control ones. Especially not the time-release capsules like nifedipine. It's some sort of strong gag-reflex thing. Makes those dental x-rays hard too.

Anyway... If I were you (and I'm not you, nor am I a doctor), I would go get another opinion from another doctor who you feel is actually listening to you, who will more than likely also tell you that you need to be on BP meds for as long as your BP is scary high so that you don't drop dead before your time of high BP complications. If your BP is scary high for the rest of your life, then you take those BP meds that work for you (and there are a number of different options) for the rest of your life. BUT... if your BP drops over time to something a lot more normal (and exactly what those numbers are is not within my realm of expertise, you need a doctor for that), then you talk your doctor into weaning you off your BP meds at some later time. There is actually hope for you.

aimeejune

Postby aimeejune » Tue Jun 12, 637973 12:20 am

I am taking AladatCC (nifedipine) and I have some serious migraine probs on it. She said she "wasn;t concerned about the headache". My bp has been 180-190's/100-111 I know...high. I didn't develop bp issues until 28 weeks. Even then it wasn't as high as it is now. The highest it got during pregnancy with no meds was 160/90 maybe once or twice. I just don't feel like my doc is working with me. I don't like taking medicine for anything and i just don't want to believe that I am going to have to do this forever.

youtan

Postby youtan » Mon Jun 11, 637973 4:41 pm

My GP doc initially said the same thing. There are some docs who have been taught that all pre-e gals need to be medicated for their whole life. You sound exactly like me after my 1st pregnancy. I was very mad as well!!

HOWEVER - give it some time. It does take a lot of time for your body to readjust. And there are some women that do end up with BP problems as pre-e can unmask chronic hypertension which may not otherwise have shown up until later in life. If I may ask - when did your BP go up in your pregnancy? If it was before 20 wks - then your docs will be more likely to define you as chronic.

Eventually I was off BP meds - but it took 1.5 yrs (and lots of exercise) to convince my doc to try me off my very low dosage - because my BPs weren't running too low, they were still 130s/80s. After my 2nd pregnancy I was on BP meds for about 3 months, had a different doc that didn't make a big deal about going off them. Now my BP runs 130s/80s still - so I'm convinced in my case that I'll eventually go chronic again. Migraines can be due to high BPs...or just an after-effect of pregnancy. I had terrible migraines after preg#2 (and still get them once a month).

Give yourself some time and then ask you docs if you can reduce your meds or try another med if you feel so aweful.

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Mon Jun 11, 637973 7:50 am

Maybe you are on the wrong meds???? It is very heartbreaking to not have it go back completely normal. What is it off meds? Mine off meds are 120/80-150/100. Most drs would not treat that. Mine do. The med that I am on is Ziac. It has very little side effects. You take it once a day. I have been on several during pregnancy and after. I would go in and have a heart to heart with. I did that with my pcp and she explained why I needed the meds. She also listened to me and immediately changed my bp meds from Procardia (worse freaking bp med in the whole world. Nasty headaches and anxiety) to Ziac. Dropped my bp within three hours and has worked like a charm since. There are many bp drugs out there. You just have to find the right ones. It took 18 months for me to "get" being on meds. I don't like it. But I also like knowing that I don't have to manage or worry about it. I also like knowing that I'll be around a lot longer because of it. You may not need meds in a couple of months or maybe you will. The important thing is to get it taken care of. Sorry if this isn't a better answer or what you wanted to hear.

aimeejune

hypertension

Postby aimeejune » Mon Jun 11, 637973 7:12 am

my doctor is making me so mad! she keeps telling me that i had a pre existing blood pressure problem and that i need to be on bp meds for the rest of my life. i can't stand it. i have never had problems with bp. only when i've been pregnant. she looks at me like i'm an idiot. I am sick of it. She has me on these meds that give me the worst migraine and offers me no alternatives. She doesn't even consider the fact that my bp could go back to normal. I'm 6 weeks post partum. it CAN go back to normal right? Are there foods I can eat to try to manage it without meds...supplements I can take (tricky cause i'm breastfeeding)???? I don't want to be on meds forever. I am determined to prove this doctor wrong.

Return to “After your baby is born .....”