Soy Milk kept us up all night!

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
cara

Re : Soy Milk kept us up all night!

Postby cara » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:42 am

Our allergist told us not to use goat's milk or cheeses since G is allergic to cows, period. (beef, milk and dander!! that's in addition to eggs and pork, too) He said that goat proteins and cow proteins were about 95% the same. But, he's not allergic to soy so that's what we use. I am trying to rack my brain to see if I can remember anything else that I see in the wacky stores that I have to frequent nowadays. If I DO see anything, I;ll let you know. Also, if she's tolerating cheeses well, I'd load those calories onto her plate! I wouldn't think the rice milk would be an issue if you were covering the calorie base with other foods. I'm trying to get Clayton used to avocado right now b/c he's decided on a hunger strike and has not gained weight in 3 months. I know that's a good source...also, is she eating cut up spaghetti noodles? I make Grant's with olive oil...good fats and helps with gastro "movement". One of his favorite dishes before the no cheese rule came into play was cut up noodles with olive oil and parmesean cheese.

Good luck!

mikeys mom

Postby mikeys mom » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:00 am

We are a strictly rice milk family with Mikey. We buy 3 1/2 gallons a week!!!! My doc didn't tell me to supplement but he was 2 1/2 when we made the change... I found the rice milk for $2.59 a half gallon message me if you want to know where (if you haven't alread). For awhile I was going broke buying it :)

brusselsprout

Postby brusselsprout » Thu Apr 26, 2007 08:19 pm

I was going to recommend adding some oil to your daughters rice milk, like the nutritionist said! I don't know if it would separate or not though.

My sister's 3 year old is on a prescription formula for galactosemia. Her insurance denied it, but she researched insurance laws in Pennsylvania with respect to medically necessary formulas, and it turns out to be a state law that insurance must pay for it. She had to get a lawyer to send the insurance company a strongly worded letter (they also cc'd her state representative) and she finally got a big check reimbursing all of the formula.

dja

Postby dja » Wed Apr 18, 2007 01:59 am

I wanted to let you know that we had a similar experience, only perhaps not as severe as yours. Malcolm had severe reflux. He's now 2 and still on Zantac, but doing just fine with his tummy. But when we were figuring out our options for helping him be in less pain, we tried soy formula thinking it might be cheaper than the OTC special stuff that was costing us ($150 month). Malcolm drank it down, and started projectile vommitting within about 2 hours. He vommitted non stop for hours until there was nothing left. Poor guy was down right green. As he grew older, we were able to move him to Goat's milk. Cow's milk protein still causes problems, although he can eat hard cheese w/o a problem. Go figure. Goat's milk is not cheap - costs us about $ 15 a week - but it's a bargain compared to prescription formula! I wish you luck!

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:38 am

Thanks Amy and Denise. Avery is a "milk" girl. She really needs to have her liquids to satisfy her. I assume as she gets older, that need will decrease. So far, the rice milk/formula mixture is working. Kefir has all the same proteins(which is what bothers her) as milk...and she is sensitive to yogurt as well, so that won't be an option for us right now...but a great idea! I was also told that coconut milk is a good source too...but not as easy to find as rice milk...and more expensive (unless you live in the tropics...and Wisconsin just doesn't qualify). :-) She doesn't even seem to mind the cannolla oil!

amym

Postby amym » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:14 am

Kara,

Personally, I don't think Avery absolutely HAS to have a form of milk, from what I've experienced with kids I know. I watched a little boy for a year who wouldn't drink any milk -- soy, dairy or otherwise. He was not a preemie, but fairly thin to begin with, and he still gained just fine. He ate a fair amount of high-protein foods, and he was able to drink kefir, which sometimes can agree with kids who have allergies. It is a yogurt-ish drink, though. Just thought I'd mention it in case you haven't tried.

Otherwise, I'd at least cut the formula back and mix w/ the rice milk, as the nutritionist suggested. I have a hard time believing there's no good nutritional equivalent for this expensive formula. Have you tried a naturopathic doctor? I'm wondering if that might be a good source, because they deal with so many people who have multiple sensitivities and allergies. And I assume you've researched this ad nauseum on the Internet? Sometimes you can find a forum that has parents posting about this stuff.

Hang in there. Wish I could be more helpful.

denise

Postby denise » Wed Apr 11, 2007 09:31 am

Just wanted to jump in to say I'm sorry Avery is still having issues, Kara. I know how frustrated you are. Hopefully the suggestions from the nutritionist help.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:39 pm

Yes, her little legs are scrunched...doc said, she'll live with it. i worry about long car trips and her getting a little blood clot...but she wiggles enough, and kicks her feet. Kids have to stay rear facing until they are 20lbs....so hopefully by the time she's 2 we can flip her around. Season thanks for the advice. Soy milk bothers her, but she can eat edamame beans (japanese soy beans) fresh and whole and not ahve a single problem. I think it may have something to do with the nature of the liquids being digested and absorbed faster than chunky foods. Mother Bear, we wen't through a long spurt where DD wouldn't drink more than 15 ounces in a 24 hour period. SOmetime around 13 months she started sucking down more. YAY! DD gets plenty of fruit and loves bread, so no atkins worries here...that's the last thing we need! HA

season
Forum Moderator

Postby season » Tue Apr 10, 2007 07:37 pm

I hope you find something that works for her and helps your budget. FYI - Canola oil is supposedly one of the healthier oils. Little ones need fat, so adding oil to the mix probably will help her. I can imagine hot dogs would help - but many contain either dairy or soy, so you'll have to be careful Check out the Kosher ones - they are dairy free but I don't know about soy.

My friend's 2 yo ds has multiple allergies and eats very little. They found that eating french fries and chicken thighs with the skin on helped him put on some weight. Little ones need fat in their, and those struggling to grow need a little bit more.

mother bear

Postby mother bear » Tue Apr 10, 2007 05:22 pm

My goodness! That eating pattern sounds so familiar! It sounds like you've got something to try, at least. Just remember to add enough carbs. You don't want to do toddler atkins!

Well, at least you can get your little peanut to drink. Mine will only drink 5 to 15 ounces of anything per day. But she loves her gerber meats. 120 calories in 2.5 ounces.

Still rear facing? Are her knees scrunched up to her face yet? :) I'm there too! Good luck!

Return to “After your baby is born .....”