Blessed with Baby! ... ques. still about BP

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Blessed with Baby! ... ques. still about BP

Postby alysa » Thu Feb 19, 2004 09:13 am

Hi all!

Happy to announce the birth of my baby! He was 2 weeks early and born very healthy.

I have a couple questions still regarding my health. As I expected I only have PIH and did not develop Pree. But my BP has still not returned to normal and still I am getting headaches and "see stars" 2 weeks postpartom now and at times (usually at night) it is debilitating even.

Also one week before my baby was born I believe I suffered a T.I.A. (a mini stroke). Emergency and even OB dr. thought anxiety and didn't know and reassured me the baby was okay - my symptoms were trouble thinking and communicating and numb right hand, right side of face/mouth and even half of my tongue! it was very frightening... it lasted only a short time and left me with a headache for a day. I plan on now getting a catscan and following up with my primary dr. also regarding my BP.

Anyone ever experience a TIA with PIH or Pree before? - Also anyone have any tips on how long this will last, or reassure me that my BP WILL return to normal soon?

Thanks for your help! and God's blessing be with you...

Rejoicing the birth of my new baby!

Alysa 24 yrs

Chloe (Feb 9 99, induced-born 37 wks PIH)
Isaiah (Feb 3 04, born 38 wks PIH)
alysa

Re : Blessed with Baby! ... ques. still about BP

Postby catherine » Thu Feb 19, 2004 09:58 am

Congratulations Alysa and welcome little Isaiah! Don't know anything about TIA but the lucky folks do see their BPs normalize by their 6 week post partum visit. After that, I think further discussion with your GP is warrented. I'm sure other people will join in on this one.

Catherine
Mom to Finn, Lucy (preeclampsia and HELLP) and Chloe.
Moderator HELLP Syndrome Survivors
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby frasiah » Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:15 am

Congratulations!! We always love happy endings and I hope that your BP returns to normal soon. Be ware though that you can get PE until six weeks postpartum. (Any of the ladies please correct me if I am wrong.) So continue to be vigilant of yourself and call your dr if you are concerned about anything.

Frasiah
DD sev PE
frasiah
Forum Moderator

Postby amy » Thu Feb 19, 2004 01:45 pm

Alysa,

Did you have an epidural? With my second son, they had major problems "hitting the right spot" and had to poke my spine about 8 times. After I gave birth, I had headaches for about 2 weeks. They said it was due to the epidural and offered a weird medical procedure to fix it. However, I opted for Vicodin [:D] and the headaches went away. Get a nap everyday if you can. My OB recommended it and when I started to do it, I was better in a matter of days....Even 20 minutes if you can?

btw, with both of my kids, it took about 2 months for my bp to resume a somewhat normal state. There aren't a lot of long term studies of preeclampsia (that I know of), but both my mother and grandmother who had pre-e both now have chronic high bp...that's what we might have to look forward to.

Good luck.

Amy -33
DH -33
Zach 4/27/02 @ 34 weeks pre-e
Josh 10/3/03 @ 34 weeks pre-e
amy

Postby mada » Thu Feb 19, 2004 03:35 pm

Congrats on your baby boy!! I hope eveything with your health turns out to be okay!!

Mada Harpster

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Postby taras mom » Fri Feb 20, 2004 00:46 am

Congratulations, Alysa, and welcome, Isaiah![:D]

It IS possible that you have chronic hypertension; it's too early to tell. A TIA is nothing to mess with, but it sounds as if you're getting good follow-up care. Keep us posted!

Carol (38)
DH Bill (40)
Tara Mairichi
12/7-12/9, 2002
The Mightiest Little Angel
taras mom

Postby alysa » Fri Feb 20, 2004 08:12 am

I had a very rapid delivery and took no meds for BP and no drugs or epidural... all nat-ur-al [:D] They only monitered my bp for awhile and my ob didn't seem concerned with it once I delivered.
So, do I refer to my ob or my primary dr at this point? It seems or feels my bp is remaining higher than when I was preg. I don't know if I should resume normal activity or if I should be resting all day??

And I do agree that chronic high bp is something I may unfortunately have to look foward to... I'm praying not though; I have trouble thinking even when it's up too high. So it is still possible I can develop pree? should the dr check for protein in the urine still at this point?

...Thanks for all your comments and help [:)]

Alysa 24 yrs

alysa

Postby paljane8 » Sun Feb 22, 2004 03:25 pm

Big congrats! I hope your bp resolves soon and you will be back to normal by that 6wk appt. How does big sis like her new "doll"?

Nancy Eastwood
Moderator/WA State Co-Coordinator

ds-8yrs, dd-7yrs
Scott-4yrs (PE)
Janie-5/12/03 (PIH, oligo and low blood flow)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/4/4lbs/
paljane8

Postby mom2gigi » Thu Feb 26, 2004 09:14 pm

I'm 25 and I had severe preeclampsia and I still have high BP, but it's lowered than what I had in the hospital, I think I had 240/100 something. but it should lower significantly by 6 weeks, mine did anyway. Hope all are doing good!

Adriana

Had Giselle at 35 weeks due to severe preeclampsia by emergency c-section.
mom2gigi

Postby alysa » Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:18 am

I am so glad to announce my bp is already a lot better... mine was not as high as yours... 160/100 last... I haven't checked for awhile now but I feel much better. [:D] My baby is about 1 month old now... and if I remember correctly it took about a month with my first preg. for my bp to return to normal too. So it feels good now not to worry.

My daughter loves her "new doll" - even lined up her dolls next to him as he slept last night [;)]

It is definitely good to have some help with you after baby's born to help recover faster and make sure to eat healthy too; it does make some what of a difference.

Take care...

Alysa 24 yrs

alysa

Next

Return to After your baby is born .....