weight gain after preg?

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Re : weight gain after preg?

Postby catherine » Sun Feb 29, 2004 08:11 am

Tara's suggestion is a good one, provided it's not a super fast treadmill. I find that Chloe gets a really good nap when I'm running around Target with her in the sling! I love my post-partum biceps too. All that lifting of the car seat does wonders. Not to mention that the resistance grows steadily with the baby [:)]. Seriously, DH has mentioned in the past that my upper arms lose their tone once the kid goes into the forward facing seat LOL!

Catherine
Mom to Finn, Lucy (preeclampsia and HELLP) and Chloe.
Moderator HELLP Syndrome Survivors
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby 5thtymachrm » Sun Feb 29, 2004 01:05 pm

Catherine and Tara..
I can't wear the baby snugli due to my back problems[:(] And my upper arms are definitly getting less flabby from lugging the baby everywhere. We aren't using the typical infant car seat, we're using a convertible style(infant-toddler type). Because there is no way I can lift one of those infant seats with the baby in it[;)] My back can't handle it. I do have free weights already at home that I will use while walking on the treadmill[:)]

Well, I have to go take a shower and get ready for our evening out for the first time[:)] We have a sitter for Indy and we are going out to a nice dinner with friends in downtown seattle and then out to see "The Passion" I am really looking forward to seeing that movie[:)]

Elizabeth
11/20/03 Indigo E. (born with no PE @ 37 weeks, 5lbs 13oz) (Pg Issues:33 weeks of bedrest!, PIH(atenolol),hyperemesis, hypothyroidism, cancer remission, asthma, 8cm blood clot @3wks)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/i/indigopage/
11/17/95 m/c @14wks
1/97 m/c @3wks
2/98 m/c @5wks
8/02 m/c @3wks
5thtymachrm

Postby catherine » Mon Mar 01, 2004 08:22 am

How was the movie Elizabeth? We don't have to get into a big discussion about the contreversial aspects BTW. I was wondering if eating beforehand was the best plan though? I envy you the chance to get out! I sense DH and myself slipping into a bad pattern, we had a babysitter lined up for President's Day w/end and in the end did nothing. So we have yet to get out to celebrate- Anniversary, Christmas, DH's birthday and his grant submission.... not looking good for a life here[B)].

Catherine
Mom to Finn, Lucy (preeclampsia and HELLP) and Chloe.
Moderator HELLP Syndrome Survivors
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby 5thtymachrm » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:42 am

Catherine,
Well our dinner ran over and we got to the theater 20min too late, so we cashed in our tickets and went home/picked up Indy early. We will try to see it next weekend again.

Elizabeth
11/20/03 Indigo E. (born with no PE @ 37 weeks, 5lbs 13oz) (Pg Issues:33 weeks of bedrest!, PIH(atenolol),hyperemesis, hypothyroidism, cancer remission, asthma, 8cm blood clot @3wks)
11/17/95 m/c @14wks
1/97 m/c @3wks
2/98 m/c @5wks
8/02 m/c @3wks
5thtymachrm

Postby sandy » Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:01 am

You know, I'm having the same problem (for the first time in my life). DD was born in June last year and my weight gain is really getting me miffed.

I'm not taking any meds I wasn't before I was pregnant, except that my hypertension meds have changed. Don't remember what I was taking before 3 months before TTC; then was on Aldomet for the 3 months prior to trying, got pregnant pretty quickly, switched to Labetalol for a few days around week 28 and then settled on Procardia the rest of the pregnancy. Started Diltiazem postpartum and am still on it.

One of you mentioned the Hypremesis. Yes, I was horribly nauseus from about week 3. In my 2nd trimester, I used Zofran to help w/it and it did help somewhat, week 28 when I went on bedrest it got better, but never completely subsided. I neither gained nor lost through almost my first 2 trimesters, and then I gained like 35 pounds (much of it water says my OB/gyn) middle/end of my 2nd trimester until delivery.

I have been going to strength training classes 2x's per week for the last few months, I get in cardio a few times per week with decent stroller walks. Not breastfeeding or even pumping anymore. All I can think is that I was so deprived of food for so long because of the Hypremesis, now that I have my appetite back, maybe I'm eating more than I need to?

Or maybe my metabolism is all messed up and it has yet to regulate?

Just wanted to say that I'm having the same problem and I don't know the cause just yet. Will chime back in if I figure it out (awaiting blood test results; they took 12 viles of my blood; there has got to be a thyroid test in there)...

~Sandy/DD born via emergency C at 35 wks. June '03 due to Severe PE/class III HELLP/chronic HBP/asthma
sandy

Postby 5thtymachrm » Fri Mar 26, 2004 04:28 pm

thought I'd update on my bp/weight issues. Well after being down in CA I have kicked the chocolate habit. I haven't had a symphony bar in 3 weeks![:)]thats seriously amazing. We will be hunting for a treadmill this weekend[:)]I am totally excited about that. Unfortunately I cannot avoid going on bp meds now. I had three different dr. appt's this week and my bp was 190/110, 140/104, 220/118, my pulse has stayed around 120. My dr put me on lisinopril today, I'll be starting it tonight. My bp was great up till about 6 weeks PP and has been rising swiftly in the past few weeks. I was trying to put off the meds by starting to change diet and exercise but my dr wasn't up for waiting any longer[:(] oh well. hopefully the meds will drop it down and then once my weight has dropped enough maybe I will be able to get rid of the meds, there's always hope isn't there? On a good note I did lose 10lbs over my trip[:D] though its probably all water weight and I was pretty sick the whole time, but I'll take weight loss in any form at this point[:D]LOL.

Elizabeth
11/17/95 m/c @14wks
1/97 m/c @3wks
2/98 m/c @5wks
8/02 m/c @3wks
5thtymachrm

Previous

Return to After your baby is born .....