Child spacing

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Child spacing

Postby amyk » Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:26 am

To those of you who have children close in ages (like 18 months apart, give or take), are you happy that they are so close, or would you rather that they were a bit farther apart? Have you felt as if you were maybe short-changing one of the kids?
I'm asking because of this nasty, ongoing insurance problem we're having. It's looking like if we want to try to have one last child, we have to do it pronto or pay for the WHOLE thing ourselves. I detest having my life dictated by an insurance company. Maybe the smartest thing is to just stop now...

Amy

Chloe (8/6/01) 35 weeks, p/e, hellp
Tristan (9/3/03), 32 weeks, p/e and hellp AGAIN
amyk

Re : Child spacing

Postby mada » Wed Feb 25, 2004 03:01 pm

Hi Amy, Well my kids are 16 months apart...In some ways, I wish they were more spaced out....I feel that I wasn't able to be as attentive to Ben (my 2cnd) when he was a baby,and that my first was still a baby who needed lots of attention too....[:p] However, now sam is 3 and a half and Ben is 2 and they are best buddies...They play all the time together(sometimes nicely other times well...not so nicely)...but still, they entertain eachother and it's wonderful. The first year is hard, I am not going to lie, but now I am glad they are close in age. Goodluck with your decision and I hope this helps[:)]

Mada Harpster

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Postby paljane8 » Wed Feb 25, 2004 04:41 pm

I totally agree with Mada! That first year is rough with 2 babies. I can hardly remember Saren's first year. The upside is that #1 really entertains #2. The downside is #1 feeds peanuts, raisins and legos to #2! Seriously though, I love my "stair steps"! They are great friends and even though we didn't plan for children 14 months [:0] apart I am glad it worked out that way. But, notice there is a 3yr gap between Saren and Scott and 4yrs between Scott and Janie!!!!!!

Nancy Eastwood
Moderator/WA State Co-Coordinator

ds-8yrs, dd-7yrs
Scott-4yrs (PE)
Janie-5/12/03 (PIH, oligo and low blood flow)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/4/4lbs/
paljane8

Postby rach » Thu Feb 26, 2004 04:31 pm

My siblings and I are 3 years apart. It was kind of hard having 9 years between kid 1 and kid 3, but we liked it. I hope to have my kids with 2 years between them, rather than 3, but of course, I'll see what the doctor's opinion on that is.
My mom and her sisters were in some cases, less than a year apart from the next, and they grew up SUPER close. Now as adults, they are still close.

Mom to Eva born @ 35 weeks

http://frontiernet.net/~arioch82/eva
rach

Postby 5thtymachrm » Thu Feb 26, 2004 04:41 pm

My best friend and her two sisters are all one year apart. One year younger than her and one older. The three of them are like triplets at time, they do everything together and are extremely close. Though I remember the fights they used to have in high school over boys and clothes, YIKES[:0] I used to just laugh watching them scream and pull each others hair. I was the baby of 8 children(halfsiblings) and the closest in age to me is nearly exactly 6 years older and I have almost no relationship whatsoever with her. i grew up like an only child. My niece and nephew are 12 months apart(bdays 8/5 and 8/22) they have always been best friends, since birth I think. I have only one little girl and know that I could not handle a toddler and bedrest at the same time. i just don't have the patience. I wouldn't let the insurance company rule your decision. If your not ready for another right now, there will always be another way if you are ready in a couple years. Good luck with your decision[:)] it's not an easy one!

Elizabeth
11/20/03 Indigo E. (born with no PE @ 37 weeks, 5lbs 13oz) (Pg Issues:33 weeks of bedrest!, PIH(atenolol),hyperemesis, hypothyroidism, cancer remission, asthma, 8cm blood clot @3wks)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/i/indigopage/
11/17/95 m/c @14wks
1/97 m/c @3wks
2/98 m/c @5wks
8/02 m/c @3wks
5thtymachrm

Postby sherry fisher » Sun Feb 29, 2004 08:10 pm

Up until this PG all my kiddos are 4 yrs apart. Yes, I love having them that far apart, but just the time that the older is able to be self sufficient a little...you have another one! UGHH! I am a little scared going into this one. The kids will only be 19 months apart...but on the other hand, I know it will be great. Yes, I think it will be hectic for the first couple of years, but I can see the great qualities in the end!

Sherry Fisher (28)
DH: Bill (35)
Proud Mama to:
#1) Alex 1/1/94-PE
#2) Abbie 12/17/97-PIH
#3 Will 08/03/02-PP PE
#4) EDD: 4/27/04
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfish3/
Pregnancy Updates, ultrasound pictures, and the countdown: http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfish4/
sherry fisher

Postby amyk » Mon Mar 01, 2004 07:35 am

Thanks, guys...that really has helped.
We're still thinking about it, but it looks like which ever way we go, we would probably be forking over a big chunk of change to have the next one. I would have to pay for all my prenatal care and possibly a c-section. So 'when' may have turned into an 'if'.
Thanks again, I am really happy to hear all these stories about siblings being close, it makes me hopeful about my own kids' relationships!

Amy

Chloe (8/6/01) 35 weeks, p/e, hellp
Tristan (9/3/03), 32 weeks, p/e and hellp AGAIN
amyk

Return to After your baby is born .....