Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Gallbladder Problems, Anyone?

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Gallbladder Problems, Anyone?

Postby rach » Thu Feb 26, 2004 04:48 pm

by rach (23 Posts), Thu Feb 26, 2004 04:48 pm

I've had gallbladder problems for about 2 1/2 years. After my first major attack, I went to the ER where the doctor told me it was gas or indigestion. When I told him no, he said "You never know." So I never went back to any doctor, because I figured they'd all tell me the same, when I knew it had to be something more. My mother told me it sounded like my gallbladder. While pregnant with my daughter, I had no problems whatsoever, and those attacks were few and far between.
In January [almost 5 months post partum] I had the worst attack of my life, went to the ER where they confirmed it was my gallbladder and admitted me for surgery! Turns out my gallbladder was badly scarred and I had many stones.
My family keeps asking me if having a problem with my gallbladder might have triggered something in my body to cause PIH/Pre-E. In any case, it's very strange indeed.

So that's where I've been. Dealing with hectic holidays, gallbladder surgery, and now my sister who is 34 weeks, just found out her son has HLHS Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome which requires 3 surgeries in 2 years and has a 75-80% survival rate. We're staying strong. We figure my problems with my pregnancy and my daugther's stay in the NICU were just to prepare us for this lil one's birth. :)

I hope everything has been going good for you ladies and your little ones.
Eva is doing great. She rolls to get where she wants to go. She chews on everything. And she's getting lots of chubby baby fat rolls! :)

Mom to Eva born @ 35 weeks

http://frontiernet.net/~arioch82/eva
rach

Re : Gallbladder Problems, Anyone?

Postby taras mom » Thu Feb 26, 2004 05:13 pm

by taras mom (841 Posts), Thu Feb 26, 2004 05:13 pm

What a cutie Eva is! Hope everything turns out well with your little nephew. Your positive attitude is great.[:)]

I wonder about the gallbladder-preeclampsia thing, too. I had my first gallbladder attack two weeks after Tara was born, they found a whole quarry of stones, and two weeks later they took it out. For 37 years I'd had nothing more serious than sprained ankles and a bad thyroid; within a month I had a week in the hospital with preeclampsia, an emergency c-section, a lost baby, a nighttime visit from the paramedics, a bunch of x-rays and ultrasounds, and a cholecystectomy. Seems like too much of a coincidence to me!

I asked my doctors about it, and they all said that gallstones are very common in pregnant women (the unlucky ones have attacks while they're still pregnant) and that it had nothing to do with the PE. I can't help wondering whether they'll find some odd connection that will lead to a miracle cure for both conditions in the near future. Sure, it's grasping at straws, but that's what you do when there's not much else to grasp.

The moral of your story is that Dr. Mom knows more than any "real" doctor. ("You never know"--it's your job to find out, Doc![:(!])

Carol (38)
DH Bill (40)
Tara Mairichi
12/7-12/9, 2002
The Mightiest Little Angel
taras mom

Return to After your baby is born .....