Extended breastfeeding... and meanies!

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
aundapenner

Re : Extended breastfeeding... and meanies!

Postby aundapenner » Fri Jul 27, 2007 06:58 pm

I do not think I stand a chance at stopping anytime soon, as Henry LOVES my boobies. :)

He is just now 14 months old and there is no end in sight. When I look back at all we overcame, I am surprised we have both stuck with it as look as we have. But I know we are both better off for it. Him for the obvious reasons, me because it really helped with our bond (I have post partum depression and for a while, did not want anything to do with him.)

Hang in there and just ignore them. Know that the WHO tells us 2 years and the US govt recommends AT LEAST 1 year.

annbaby3

Postby annbaby3 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 02:09 am

My kids pretty much weened themselves just after their 1st birthdays. Wyatt was the longest. I tried to begin weening at a year and he put up the biggest fit so I waited a few more months and he pretty much did it on his own. It's easier on everyone when that happens. The early morning feed was the longest and hardest for him to give up. We really liked "our time" in the morning.

You do what you feel comfortable with. Naturally they will nurse less as they are eating more table foods and drinking from a cup. When she's down to just nursing in the morning and night nobody really needs to know right?

lucy

Postby lucy » Tue Jul 24, 2007 08:36 pm

quote:Originally posted by Season

Lucy,

You just snuck in here. She's almost 1! I can not believe a whole year has passsed. How is your beautiful girl? How are you?

SueAnn,
We are ok thank you for asking, I can hardly believe shes gonna be a year as well shes been walking for awhile and shes so active, I am gonna try to upload new pictures soon. How are you and your family? Good I hope.

season
Forum Moderator

Postby season » Sun Jul 22, 2007 05:55 pm

Lucy,

You just snuck in here. She's almost 1! I can not believe a whole year has passsed. How is your beautiful girl? How are you?

lucy

Postby lucy » Sun Jul 22, 2007 02:15 pm

Rachel,
I am still nursing Sarina and she will be 1 in less than a week and I plan on continuing at least until 16 months or so, I would just try to not worry to much about what others think your doing whats best for her.

emersons mom

Postby emersons mom » Fri Jul 20, 2007 07:56 pm

I wish I was still breastfeeding! I think people say mean things not to hurt you but to make themselves feel superior.....so the comments were more about the egos of those speaking and wanting it to be public knowledge that they know what is best about ABSOLUTELY everything........try to ignore them......keep doing what works for you and Addi, sadly my son never latched on and my milk supply was never high so he has been formula boy since about 4 months old....i am jealous!

mada

Postby mada » Fri Jul 20, 2007 04:38 pm

Eww rachel that's disgusting!! How could you bring this up!! Ha Ha got everyones attention. It's like my hubs always says "who cares what other thinkle peep...." But I know...it's so ridiculous.

amillhouse

Postby amillhouse » Fri Jul 20, 2007 03:20 pm

I'm so sorry that your family isn't supportive. I breastfed Jada until she was 14 months when I started to get tired and she didn't even complain. Please know that you have all the support in the world from all of us! Hope that helps. Also I found being a part of the breastfeeding group gave me a lot of moral support. All the best!

halo79rn

Postby halo79rn » Tue Jul 17, 2007 02:49 pm

I agree with Allison. I grew up in the very South (gulf coast area) and just didn't see breastfeeding... now my mom bf me, but just for a few months... and the one time I did see a mom bf in public, her family stood around her facing out so no one would notice. Sad. We lived in NY for 5 yrs before moving to IL... and there, it's just out there. Everyone bf's... it was encouraged in the hospital, wasn't unusual to see a baby being carried in a sling and being bf... here it's less noticable, but more so than back home.
Our families were uncomfortable with it too. My mother in law would encourage cereal anytime Libby had a growth spurt and ate more frequently. I had to pump full time in the first few months b/c of latch issues and they would leave when I went to pump. My father in law wouldn't even feed her a bottle of bm (she never ate formula... hated it). Then when we went home for Thanksgiving (Libby was almost 10m old), I made sure I was discreet, went to bedrooms to nurse... if in public did it in the car or in a bathroom (b/c they dont' have nursing rooms like they do in some places here)... did in front of my mother in law once and she looked discusted. I got a few comments on how I needed to give her juice so she'd get used to something other than me (she got sippies of water at mealtime). I think they just weren't comfortable with it. My mom is ok with it. Will sit and talk to me while I nurse... my dad, leaves the room....he's very old school... almost 70.. I don't expect him to sit and watch. It's just hard when you don't have full support from your family. I understand. But I don't respond to the comments (or I didn't I should say). I would say that the pedi said no milk until her birthday and then to continue if I wanted. And I'd leave it at that. It's not there business even if they are family. It's between you, your hubby (I say hubby b/c he was the greatest support and I needed his support), and your baby.
good luck! You're a good momma!

chubbiesmom

Postby chubbiesmom » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:26 am

Hi Rachel!!

Congrats on still breastfeeding. I bf 2 of my boys until 2yrs old. I only stopped because I had a new baby and started bfing them, and the 2yr old lost interest. I admire women that can BF anywhere. I have always felt like I had to hide it. I have never bf in front of people except for my kids and husband. I totally missed out on BF my youngest son because all of a sudden my DH seems to be boobaphobic lol. I will bf my baby due in January until as long as he or she wants despite my dh this time.

Do what you feel is best for your child. I know people's comments, especially from family can be so hurtful, but breastfeeding is so much better then formula. Mine never spit up like they did with formula. It's a shame soceity views such a great natural thing as something gross. Keep doing what you are doing.

Michelle

Return to “After your baby is born .....”