Extended breastfeeding... and meanies!

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
jenn
Forum Moderator

Re : Extended breastfeeding... and meanies!

Postby jenn » Sun Sep 15, 637985 9:20 am

Rachel,
I know EXACTLY how you feel.
Natalia is 2.5 and still a "boo bah" girl, mostly at bedtime.

For me this subject is taboo.
I swore if anyone outside my home knew about it- I'd be sure to curl up and die under a rock somewhere in the bottom of a lake.
But yet, here I am... posting it on the net!

For me, there came a time where I had to set my family straight on MY WISHES, not easy done for someone like myself whom is also soft spoken.
Not to mention I also care wayyyy to much what others think. I'm learning not to.

There was a recent article in Parents Mag. where they talked about how the American Medical Society recommends b/f for at least 6 months to 1 year... but why mother's across America feel like they are doing something wrong by hiding nursing.
They followed a poor mom around and recorded reactions as she braved b/f in public.
The result was sad, poor public reaction and isolation.
She at one point, b/f her son in a filthy public bathroom while sitting on a toilet.
(but I can't say I haven't done that... when you gotta'- what can ya' do?)

Here her peanut was a couple months old... I could only imagine if they followed me around with 30 lb 2.5 yr Natalia!!

My family is doing better with their understanding... but it still isn't what I would hope for.
And if my "out-laws" knew about it---- OMG... they'd be on the phone with Social Services for sure.
They be convinced I was committing some type of abuse. Sad.

So after all my rambles here....
My point, Addi is one. Your her mommy. The Mayor of Addi-ville. You'll do what's best for her and not for others piece of mind.

Congrats on your extended nursing!
I know someday's it's not easy.

Jenn

rachel a

Postby rachel a » Sat Sep 14, 637985 2:25 am

Lori, THANKS! It's in their honor!

And Cindy, I have to remember that response! I just pray they ask while I'm actually nursing her!

Ladies thanks, I just need someone to make me feel like I'm not a "weirdy"... LOL. I know it's common to nurse as long as I have but this other family can really make me feel tacky!

cindyh27

Postby cindyh27 » Wed Sep 04, 637985 8:50 pm

p.s. I will be breastfeeding Carson for as long as he'll let me ;)

cindyh27

Postby cindyh27 » Wed Sep 04, 637985 8:48 pm

Rachel,

Sorry you had to endure those comments… I think maybe our in-laws (out-laws) are related… ugh!

I nursed Camille until she was 18 months old… Codie until 16 months, and Camryn 13 months… they all weaned themselves…

Next time your breastfeeding and someone asks you “how much longer are you going to nurse her”…. Just tell them “for about another 5 minutes” with a big smile… they’ll get the hint!!

Hang in there… you’re doing a great job… don’t let anyone take the joy of breastfeeding your little baby girl away! *wink*

Cindy

mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby mnmom » Wed Sep 04, 637985 8:20 pm

And I LOVE your new myspace name[:D][:D][:D]

mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby mnmom » Wed Sep 04, 637985 5:53 pm

I wish I could have nursed Jaden forever. Unfortunately, pumping worked well for a few months after I returned to work, but then he just lost interest. However, he was one in May, and I am still feeding him formula AND getting the comments that he should no longer have a bottle. Hang tough. Smile, thank others for their concern and continue to nurse her!

arj

Postby arj » Wed Sep 04, 637985 12:15 pm

That sucks, Rachel. Unfortunately, it's your geography... The South is NOTORIOUSLY bad at breastfeeding! Can you move out here to CA??? :)

Well, just like Blythe said, the AAP recommends breastfeeding until at least 1 year of age and the WHO, 2 or more. Worldwide, the natural age of weaning is anywhere between 5 and 7 years of age. Of course here, that would be considered child abuse... Hang tough!! I don't know what you can do about the nay-sayers other than know that you are the one "in the know" of what's best for your baby. And all babies for that matter...

season
Forum Moderator

Postby season » Wed Sep 04, 637985 12:13 pm

Rachel,

How frustrating to have family respond that way. The teen is just not informed and needs to be informed about infant feeding in general. (She probably gets her attitude from those other adults you dealt with though.)

If I were you I would decide on a couple of set answers to cut off those who don't like what you are doing. Something like "The American Academny of Family Physicans states that Breastfeeding beyond the first year offers considerable benefits to both mother and child, and should continue as long as mutually desired."

It's far from unnatural - if it weren't natural your body would not make the milk nad her body would not grow from drinking it. :)

I applaud you for breastfeeding beyond our cultures social norms. I was not sure how long I'd initially nurse - I just assuemd you stopped at about a year. But with ds it was clear that would be an awful time to stop. In the end he nursed until 4.5 (We stopped in public at about 2.) With dd she is 3 and still nurses about 3 tiems a day. She loves it too. The other night we were settling the kids to sleep in our bed (My mom was on their room.) A fter we read and prayed she started jumping up and down quite excited - dh asked her why and she said, "I get to Nuh!" She can't say the s sounds yet. :)

She was just bursting with excitement that that was next - before sleep.

If your family continues to have issues adn you don't want to fight them, then you can alwasy firn ways to do so without thme seeing or knowing. It's unfortuate that they so dislike something you are doing that has such great benefits for your dd.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Wed Sep 04, 637985 11:56 am

I'm sorry you have to be the trailblazer!

My mom was an extended nurser, so I have no problems on that side of the family at all, and my DH's dad is a microbiologist, so a couple of mentions of what the studies said nowadays and we were good to go.

Some of those teens won't think it's so weird when they're considering breastfeeding their own children, because you did it. Even if they think it's weird now.

rachel a

Postby rachel a » Wed Sep 04, 637985 11:52 am

We don't tell mama's that are giving their babies formula that it's not natural, you're not still doing that... what makes them think it's okay for a b'fed baby!? I'm still so upset!

Return to “After your baby is born .....”