Extended breastfeeding... and meanies!

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
rachel a

Re : Extended breastfeeding... and meanies!

Postby rachel a » Wed Sep 04, 637985 11:49 am

Well... there was a family b-day party this past weekend and when I nursed Addi (I was under the impression such things were "normal") right there (now I did cover up... my boobs weren't hanging out or anything, and I was being discreet... at the back of the crowd) I might as well been lynched... "Your not still nursing her. She's too old." and even a, "that's not natural" and a teenie bopper saying, "that's just gross." Now dang it, I was so angry we left!

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Wed Sep 04, 637985 11:39 am

Rachel, no one has ever said anything rude to me, and I'm nursing a four and a half year old. (I should add -- this comes down to 5 minutes as he's falling asleep and rarely 5 minutes as he's waking up in the morning.) I nursed him in public until he turned three.

I like this article: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/criticism.html

And I particularly liked the "bean dip" link. [;)]

blythe

Postby blythe » Wed Sep 04, 637985 11:20 am

Before I had my own babies, I was similar - if a child can ask, he's too old. Then Storm showed me he could "ask" much younger than I ever thought possible, then I was going to nurse until he was a year (per pediatrician guidelines) then 2 years (per WHO guidelines)... And finally weaned because I was 30 weeks pregnant and my belly was just too big and I was uncomfortable! I tried weaning earlier and just couldn't emotionally go through with it.

Now I'm nursing Chance at 11 months with no plans to stop until he's at LEAST 2...

Sorry you're getting unkind responses to your extended nursing! I agree I always thought it was weird (before it was me [;)]), but would have never said anything or been unkind to anyone else who'd made that choice! My stock response when curious (not mean) people asked how long I was going to nurse was that the AAP recommends at least 1 year and WHO recommends 2 years, and once Storm was 2 I just didn't nurse him in public [:)].

As for the "unnatural" comments... no good advice, just hold your ground! You know that you're doing the best thing for Addi and you!

halo79rn

Postby halo79rn » Wed Sep 04, 637985 9:55 am

Addi isn't even a year old yet! Don't worry about them. You're doing fine. I breastfed Libby until 13 months and only quite then b/c pregnancy made me dry up. Plus she was ready to let go during the day and was down to only wanting to nurse first thing in the morning. A friend is still bf'ing her 17 month old and got lectured at the pedi office at his 15 m appt. So she switched pedis. She's very pro self weaning and they are both happy continuing for now (she's pregnant again as well, so it's decreased a ton... he's only nursing a few times a day). You will know when you and she are finished. When one of you decides your tired, then that's it. If you feel like continuing, there's no harm in doing so right now. She's not supposed to be on cow's milk yet anyway. My pedi wanted Libby to be breastfed until at least 12m.
My advice is to not deal with them. Tell them it's none of their business. Tell them you're going by your pedi's guidelines. Or don't tell them anything, just change the subject. Don't let them influence what you do for your child.
good luck! And congrats on breastfeeding this long! We had a tough time, so making it a year was a great feat for us! I think it's tough for many moms too.

rachel a

Extended breastfeeding... and meanies!

Postby rachel a » Wed Sep 04, 637985 7:05 am

Okay, so I was one of "those" that wasn't going to nurse a kid that could walk and talk (Addi started walking last month) and that could help themselves to booby juice at any time... but here I am still nursing Addi and not wanting to stop anytime in the near future, mostly because she doesn't want to stop.

I'm facing the wrath of *! [:0] My family is opposed (certain in-laws that is) as it's "unnatural" and well, I just need to be validated.

If you are doing extended breastfeeding or have been an extended b'feeder... how did you get around all the hateful things people say? I'm pretty soft spoken and tend to be as polite as possible, but this is my choice and it just urks me to no end to have to deal with this everytime I see them!

Return to “After your baby is born .....”