Question about bottles

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
michelle_chandler

Re : Question about bottles

Postby michelle_chandler » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:14 am

We use NUK pacifers but swear by Dr. Brown's bottles..we love them.

kris21225

Postby kris21225 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 07:10 pm

I like the Avent bottles and they have a whole system for breastfeeding. And the First Years Soothie pacifier is really great. When my son was in the NICU, that's what they gave him and he refused every other kind. I had a real hard time finding them at first, but not anymore. At first I could only find them in blue, but for the baby girl I just had, I managed to find some in pink. Good luck with you delivery. I hope it's as painless as a delivery can be. :))

lynnekay

Postby lynnekay » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:23 am

My daughter Beth feed he son with the Ventair bottles and she really likes them. They are super easy to clean. Baby Drake still gets air into his tummy when he eats, but that is mainly b/c he is a little piggie and chows down the first few oz. really fast :-)

Get plenty of rest as you anticipate the birth of your precious gargo soon :-) I will say a prayer for you to have a safe delivery & a birth a healthy beautiful girl...

amiejo

Postby amiejo » Fri Jul 20, 2007 08:47 pm

We use Nuk pacifiers and bottles. Cassie didn't have any problem going back and forth between these bottles and breastfeeding. She never liked the soothie brand pacifier that the hospital gave her but loved the Nuk ones.

katevans

Postby katevans » Fri Jul 20, 2007 08:01 pm

Jeri,
My son was born at 36weeks/7days. I breastfed him, but due to jaundice and weight loss we had to supplement with formula. I started with the Dr. Browns and my son did well. He never had colic or gas issues so we switched to the Playtex Ventair wide. I had to stop BF and the wide mouths were easier with the formula. Also the Ventair's are a lot easier to clean. My son never would take the pacifier but the hospital gives a Nuk. I wish you the best of luck with your little one.

mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby mnmom » Fri Jul 20, 2007 04:37 pm

My advice is the same as the others-be flexible and willing to try a few. Now, I had wonderful luck with the Avent bottles. We tried others, but had many more spitting up sessions with those. I did have a couple of instances where they sucked hard enough to collapse the nipple, and that wasn't fun. My girls were both Nuk babys. AJ had a different brand, and I can't for the life of me remember what they were, but they had a completely different shape to them. He hated the Nuk brand. Jaden wouldn't take any and has become my thumbsucker. We are slowly trying to stop that......good luck!

amillhouse

Postby amillhouse » Fri Jul 20, 2007 03:29 pm

Nuk was the best for us. From the thinks I read it was most like breastfeeding and Jada never had any problems going back and forth between breast and bottle when she got the hang of it.

chubbiesmom

Postby chubbiesmom » Fri Jul 20, 2007 02:48 pm

Hi!!

I second what Rachel said with experimenting. My son, almost 6 months now, liked the playtex with the dropins(never get the bags). I did buy the Evenflo Comfi bottles too for backups. He will not even drink from the playtex now. He just gets so angry when I try. The Evenflo seem to match the nipples from the bottles they use at the hospital. I hated advent. I used those with 2 of my others for only a short time because if they sucked really hard it would pull the nipple out and formula would spill everywhere, and advent is slightly more expensive too.

Keep a selection, you never know when a crabby tired baby at 3am decides that they will not use that nipple anymore, and then at least you will have some alternatives[:)]

Good luck!!

Michelle

halo79rn

Postby halo79rn » Fri Jul 20, 2007 02:36 pm

We used Nuk brand pacifiers and did use a Nuk brand nipple on the pump bottles at first b/c dd was tiny. She also had a tiny mouth. We had stocked up on Avent bottles which the milk just leaked out the sides of her mouth. Our lactation consultant recommended the traditional nipple. (like what you see on the regular evenflo or Dr Browns bottles). We used Playtex Ventair at first b/c the flow was slow enough for her (stage one dr browns were fast for her in the beginning and I didn't find the preemie nipples). Then moved on to the dr browns when she was too frustrated with the ventair.
I say just buy or register for a few of different types. Many babies will have their own preference.

rachel a

Postby rachel a » Fri Jul 20, 2007 02:31 pm

We went through tons of bottles with Addi trying to find one she would use... we ended up using the [email protected] bottles, the wide version (can't remember name). Also, we use the Nuk pacificiers for Addi, we tried (I think it's called--most hospitals hand these out) soothie, it also has a bottle with the same shape nipple. She didn't take to the latter.

Best of luck... my advice, be willing to experiment! Good luck!

Return to “After your baby is born .....”