breastfeeding and diapers question

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
aundapenner

Re : breastfeeding and diapers question

Postby aundapenner » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:49 am

Jana,

Please take a deep breath and relax.

Now, listen. You are doing a great job.

Xander is LOVING his mommy milk!!!

The BEST thing for both YOU and HIM is for you to remember that you are a good mom, who likes to drink LOTS of water to stay hydrated, and that BF is doing just fine.

My very humble opinion is that so long as he has numerous wets daily and poops at least 1 time a week, everything is A-OK.

And I just wanted to say SUPER HUGE congrats on the PE-free pregnancy!!!!

Hang in there.

It's normal to question ourselves ... but know you're doing a GREAT JOB!!!

Hugs,

sreeve

Postby sreeve » Tue Aug 21, 2007 06:39 am

Jana, please don't stress. I know we put so much stock in our baby's weights -- it's our only way to know how much they are eating. But this may just be a blip. I don't have anything else to say other than just keep your spirits up.

onesock

Postby onesock » Mon Aug 20, 2007 02:40 pm

Try not to stress yourself out, sometimes the stress of it can reduce your supply. Just make sure that you are drinking plenty of water and stay relaxed about your milk :) Was your doctor concerned? What were his recommendations? Hang in there...I will send good lactating vibes your way:) Have you tried pumping after feedings to try and stimulate more production? Just an idea!!

jana m

Postby jana m » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:37 am

Xander didn't gain any weight in the past week. We found out at his doctor visit this morning. Now I am officially freaking out that I am starving my poor baby! I have a call into a lactation consultant to try and help us.

I feel so awful!

kelly w

Postby kelly w » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:34 am

Hey Jana - this is *completely* normal! Hopefully your Ped will tell you that today, unless he/she is ignorant of breastfed babies, like so many are.

The majority of breastfed babies poop almost every time they eat in the beginning, but by 6 weeks, most have slowed down to 1 or 2 poops a day. [Unless you just get lucky, I had one who pooped 5 times a day till he was 3 .... LOL! I was *ready* for him to stop that!]

All of mine except him though have slowed down to 1-2 poops a day between 4-6 weeks, and that sounds like what Xander is doing.

You are doing a great job!

Kelly

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Sun Aug 19, 2007 04:38 pm

Its perfectly normal for babies (both on BM or on formula) to go a couple of days w/o pooping. THough if they reach like a week it may be a sign of constipation (we have lovely xrays of a constipated baby due to hernia pain!)

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Sun Aug 19, 2007 01:55 pm

We discussed this in a recent thread and I'd link to it if I could find it!

The bottom (LOL) line is that BF babies tend to come in two different kinds. One set poops incessantly for months (and I mean nearly every diaper) until they start solid food. The other kind basically assimilate so much of the breast milk that there is little to no residue and they go for literally days without pooping. when they do, it's liquidy. My DH used to refer to it as baby honey (about the same time as he'd complain about dipping his shirt cuff in it).

So, don't interpret this as a drop in your milk supply, what you are seeing is Xander's gut working at maximum efficiency to pull all available nutrition from what he's getting. I'd anticipate you seeing some significant weight gain when he goes on the scales. BF babies can amaze. Chloe was born at 36 weeks at 5 lbs 5 oz and weighed over 8 lbs 6 oz four weeks later.

onesock

Postby onesock » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:39 am

I know that the bm's slow down substantially as they get older. I would think that 5-8 bm's sounds ok, as long as he is urinating. He may just be getting into a schedule of eating less towards the end of the day and into the night, thus making his bm's more infrequent during those times. Your milk supply will adjust to his demand. If he was not getting enough he would let you know :) Just my thoughts...let us know what your ped says!!

jana m

breastfeeding and diapers question

Postby jana m » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:49 am

Hi Ladies,
Xander is one month old today (WOW!) [:)] I am still so worried about the whole breastfeeding thing and had a question about his diapers. It seems his rate of pooping has changed. He still poops anywhere from 5 to 8 times per day (a slight decrease from a week or two ago), but it is much more spread out and he sometimes goes for hours without pooping. He still has wet diapers even if he doesn't poop. His pooping seems to especially slow later in the day into the night.

Does this mean my milk supply is less during those hours and he is not getting enough to eat? Should I be worried about this? We have his one month check-up tomorrow and I will bring it up to the doctor, but I thought I'd see if anyone here had any insight.

Thanks and I'm sorry if this is TMI!

Return to “After your baby is born .....”