Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Potty training woes

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Re : Potty training woes

Postby sandy » Wed Mar 03, 2004 07:55 pm

by sandy (1138 Posts), Wed Mar 03, 2004 07:55 pm

Ok. Catherine? You have me almost rolling on the floor laughing. My DD is only almost 9 months, so potty training isn't an issue yet, but I thought I'd browse the postings in this one to "take notes" for the future (and I did get quite a few good ones, thanks to everyone).

Thank you for that last post, Catherine!!

~Sandy/DD born via emergency C at 35 wks. June '03 due to Severe PE/class III HELLP/chronic HBP/asthma
sandy

Postby sherry fisher » Wed Mar 03, 2004 09:52 pm

by sherry fisher (384 Posts), Wed Mar 03, 2004 09:52 pm

Catherine, agree with Sandy...I was laughing so hard at the two 'men' flushing the potties, I 'bout peed my own pants! Explain that one to DH!!! LOL Hey, I can see his flush phobia....I still dont flush in the middle of the night due to the noise! DH cant stand it!!! [:p]

Sherry Fisher (28)
DH: Bill (35)
Proud Mama to:
#1) Alex 1/1/94-PE
#2) Abbie 12/17/97-PIH
#3 Will 08/03/02-PP PE
#4) EDD: 4/27/04
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfish3/
Pregnancy Updates, ultrasound pictures, and the countdown: http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfish4/
sherry fisher

Postby deerhart » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:19 pm

by deerhart (3282 Posts), Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:19 pm

Incentives don't work here.

Alex also still has to be reminded, though usually when he starts to wet himself he quickly gets moving to the bathroom. We have now gone to tell him that he can only wear his pull ups when he is in bed becuase he will ask for the pull ups when he doesn't want to be bothered with running to the bathroom.

Though when he protests the most I know he has to go poo which he won't even attempt in the potty.

I figure that whne he is finally ready to be rid of diapers he won't have to be reminded at all, just like when he decided he wanted to start pottying in the potty one day he couldn't hold it at all, to the next day being able to wear (and wanting to wear) underwear during the day and for 2 hours during a nap with few to little accidents.

Erin

Moderator - First Time Moms, Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex and Mason
deerhart

Postby mada » Thu Mar 04, 2004 06:38 am

by mada (4081 Posts), Thu Mar 04, 2004 06:38 am

Erin,
That's the thing...I have had Sam in underwear for like 8 months!!! He does wear a pull up at night but I am not worried about that right now....My husband all the way to his great grandfather wet their beds until they were like 6..at night so....I don't want to pressure him there. He will absolutley go pee and poop if I keep him bare booty...I will have him home in a t-shirt only and he knows when he has to go and he runs to the potty by himself and does his business. The minute I put anything on him, underwear, or even sweats(no underwear) he will get involved with something and won't bother to use the bathroom!!! Arghh!!!!
How old is Alex? I am just getting worried because Sam will be 4 at the end of June!!!!

Mada Harpster

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Postby deerhart » Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:07 am

by deerhart (3282 Posts), Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:07 am

Alex will be 4 at the end of April. We tried potty training him for over a year and a half, but he refused. He woke up one Sunday In January and decided it was time and then started to hold his urine and would wear underwear.

He does get extremely engrossed in things, especially at home thus it gets harder for him to remember to go on his own. He also has to be pretty much unclothied to sit on the potty *sigh*.

But, when we are out in public, he seems to be a bit more concious of it and will state he has to go so he doesn't have an accident.

One of the things we have really tried is not to punish him for having an accident, but also to reenforce that peeing and pooing in his pants is yucky, hoping a little bit of peer pressure will help push him along.
Right now it has pushed him to demand to be changed when he poops his pants, but hasn't gotten him to try to poo in the potty yet (he will come running in starting to cry goinging I'm stinky, I'm poopy)

Erin

Mommy to Alex and Mason
deerhart

Postby momathelete » Tue Mar 09, 2004 08:22 pm

by momathelete (227 Posts), Tue Mar 09, 2004 08:22 pm

I have to laugh at this string since I am in the midst of potty training Lainey who is 28 months). I have a timer set to go off every 15 minutes and she STILL had 5! accidents today. The worst part is that I set baby Ella right in the middle of one of the wet spots and she now smells like pee. My incentive was that she can use toilet paper to wipe herself (she really wants to!) Anyway, she says it hurts when she goes, but oddly it doesn't hurt when she pees in her underwear. OY! I am about ready to give up and try again in a few months! I had an awful day today. You know it is bad when you get on Monster.com and start looking for jobs so you can put your kids in daycare!!! It was fun to look and fantasize about dressing up, intense meetings, hard thinking!! OK, back to trying to get the squash spit up off of my shirt!

Michelle
Moderator -On Bedrest
Interim Local Coordinator -Illinois

mom to Cole (HELP pregnancy, 28 wkr) will be 5 in March
Lainey (preE pregnancy, 29 wkr) now 2 yrs old
Ella (PIH, 37 wkr) now 7 months
momathelete

Postby catherine » Tue Mar 09, 2004 09:04 pm

by catherine (2832 Posts), Tue Mar 09, 2004 09:04 pm

Matching you all the way there Michelle. Lucy has had one good day and then nothing since. I thought that she'd pee for stickers, she is so addicted but nope. That doesn't mean that we don't have to make a zillion trips to the potty, at which time her naked butt brushes the rim for maybe... oh... a milisecond... after which she announces that she's all done, gets up, trips over her underwear and flushes... oh a million times.... I've given up, I'm going to wait a month and try again then.

Catherine
Mom to Finn, Lucy (preeclampsia and HELLP) and Chloe.
Moderator HELLP Syndrome Survivors
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby deerhart » Tue Mar 09, 2004 09:39 pm

by deerhart (3282 Posts), Tue Mar 09, 2004 09:39 pm

LOL Catherine
Alex did that for almost a year and a half. I think the thing that has really gotten him is that we tell him if he is wearing diapers its bed time and send him to bed. That has seemed to keep him motivated to wearing underpants!

Erin

Mommy to Alex and Mason
deerhart

Postby mada » Wed Mar 10, 2004 06:15 am

by mada (4081 Posts), Wed Mar 10, 2004 06:15 am

Okay girls, I think I found the answer!!!! I found a video called "It's Potty Time!" Pretty entertaining for the little people, kind of annoying, but no worse than Wiggles or whatever you watch. I started letting Sam and Ben (who is 28 mo.'s too) watch it whenver they wanted, They really like it!! Sam has basically been dry for almost a week and Ben always wants to go sit on the potty! He doesn't usually pee, but he is totally getting the concept. I am just focusing on Sam more since he is 3 and a half!!!! My mom actually found the video at the right start.
Website is www.rightstart.com if anyone is insterested!!!

Mada Harpster

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Postby catherine » Wed Mar 10, 2004 06:26 am

by catherine (2832 Posts), Wed Mar 10, 2004 06:26 am

We have it Mada... it didn't work for Finn at all! Lucy doesn't like it either. I would bear in mind our old and pretty wacky ped's advice, "don't let your kid know how important this is for you...kids have so little control, except over what they eat, where and when the pee and sleep..that's why they are the biggest fights."

Catherine
Mom to Finn, Lucy (preeclampsia and HELLP) and Chloe.
Moderator HELLP Syndrome Survivors
catherine
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to After your baby is born .....