Potty training woes

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Re : Potty training woes

Postby mada » Wed Mar 10, 2004 07:43 am

Yup, It goes back to the ol' Freudian concept!! Children feel control through their bathroom needs...One thing I did notice is when Sam was mad at us, (for getting a time out or whatever) he pees in his pants!!! Anyway, oh well, I guess different things work for different kids[:)]

Mada Harpster

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Postby pugmommy7 » Wed Mar 10, 2004 08:45 pm

I love the incentive idea.
It does remind me of a funny story that I'll share.

I was at Babies r' us with my best friend and her 3 year old daughter.
She asked if I would take her daughter with me to the ladies room on the next of my 50 trips.
I said "of course", she did her thing, and then waited for me outside the stall.
A little girl next to us had successfully pee'd on the potty for what sounded like the first time. Her mother was thrilled, she said "Oh kayla, I am so proud of you! wait till we get home! you will get to tell Daddy and get an M&M and everything!"

To which, immediately my friend's daughter responded, "OH Aunt Jen, I am so proud of you for peeing on the potty! great job!!"
Totally matching the lady's enthusiasm.
It was adorable! And hilarious!
~J

Mama to Bella,1/02/03, born 33 and 5/7 weeks at 3 lbs,6oz.Pre-E and PIH,& HELLP.
Babygirl #2,EDD 6/24/04
pugmommy7

Postby michaela » Fri Mar 12, 2004 06:48 pm

I just went through this with my daughter. She was just about 2 1/2 and I tried everything you guys are talking about. I missed that "window of opportunity" everyone always talks about, so it got to the point where it was sheer willpower and who had more. I finally broke down and took John Rosemonds advice and took her diaper and panties off and let her go!! (We have new carpet so this was a HUGE step!!) Well she went once on the floor and that was it. She took about a week and a 1/2 and she was completely potty trained. She wore a diaper at night for another two weeks and that was it. I also use cloth diapers but that didn't seem to make her train any faster. I would say this is a fluke but it has worked for 2 other friends of mine that were at wits end!! It's called "Naked and75$" You can imagine what the 75$ is for. Luckily we didn't need it. Try it you might have luck with it. I never had any luck with the reward system. Let us know how it goes!!

Michaela 34
DH Ken 37
DS Joshua 7 yrs
DD Kennedy 4 yrs
DD Kathryn 3yrs
Our little angel Jared 34 wks stillborn 10/31/03 due to PE
michaela

Previous

Return to After your baby is born .....