Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Ahhhhh.....Allergies!

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Ahhhhh.....Allergies!

Postby sherry fisher » Sat Mar 20, 2004 04:52 pm

by sherry fisher (384 Posts), Sat Mar 20, 2004 04:52 pm

I am wondering if any of your children have chronic allergies??

DH has serious allergies. Will has had this 'cold' that has seemed to last for a month! I know its allergies. We take him outside, we have to bring the kleenex with, he is like a faucet! He comes in with red eyes and all! In the evening, its worse! Again, the clear drainage starts! No cough, pain, etc... Anyway, its like clockwork, open a window, the allergies start...dust, the runny nose begins....vacumn, faucet on.....etc, etc.. I stay clear from benadryl during the day. I dont want him sleepy all day long! Anyone know anything else over the counter for an 18 month old that will work temporarily??

Abbie & Alex never had these. I have not called the Ped yet, but I am Monday. I think he may need meds or need allergy testing done. Anyone know how early they diagnose allergies? I was told once that they dont do the testing while they are little?!

Sherry Fisher (28)
DH: Bill (35)
Proud Mama to:
#1) Alex 1/1/94-PE
#2) Abbie 12/17/97-PIH
#3 Will 08/03/02-PP PE
#4) EDD: 4/27/04 - Allyson Mae
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfish3/
Pregnancy Updates, ultrasound pictures, and the countdown: http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfish4/
sherry fisher

Re : Ahhhhh.....Allergies!

Postby paljane8 » Sat Mar 20, 2004 05:43 pm

by paljane8 (1416 Posts), Sat Mar 20, 2004 05:43 pm

Boy, Sherry, I don't know. My older 2 were diagnosed with allergies last year. They were 7 & 6 at the time. He prescribes Zyrtec for them and it works well.

So sorry your little guy is having such a time of things!

Nancy Eastwood
Moderator/WA State Co-Coordinator

ds-8yrs, dd-7yrs
Scott-4yrs (PE)
Janie-5/12/03 (PIH, oligo and low blood flow)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/4/4lbs/
paljane8

Postby sandy » Sat Mar 20, 2004 05:46 pm

by sandy (1138 Posts), Sat Mar 20, 2004 05:46 pm

Sorry you are dealing with possible (environmental) allergies. We are too! My poor DD...I should start apologizing to her now for the genes she's getting from both her daddy and me.

She is 9.5 mos. old and last week during her "sick visit", her pediatrician told me that 2 out of 3 little ones this age who have allergy symptoms...after blood testing, it turns out it's not allergies. A few days ago at her 9 month checkup, her pediatrician suggested we have the blood test to see if she has allergies. I told him that thinking about putting a needle in her was bringing me right back to the NICU days!! It's not urgent that she has the test, and we're treating her the same way even if she did have allergies, so we'll do the blood test in a few months when her ped. wants an anemia test done, too.

This pediatrician is well-respected in our area and has been around a long time. He says that it takes at least 6 months of being exposed to something, usually, for a little one to have an allergic reaction to it. A blood test can determine if the allergy "mechanism" is "turned on", but won't tell what the little one is allergic to. Our ped. suggests 1/2 tsp. of Children's Claritin, once every 24 hours. The bottle starts at age 2, but our ped. who I trust says he's looked into it quite a bit and feels this dosage is appropriate and safe.

How can you guess it might be allergies? Do baby's bio mom and dad have allergies? Does baby have other allergy things (like cradle cap, ridges in her nails, like my DD)? Does baby rub eyes and nose a lot, pull on ears/clear runny/sniffly nose? Does baby scratch? (My DD has scratches on the sides of her thighs; poor thing). And she's often scratching her head. Some of this is just normal baby behavior, so it's tough to tell.

Her ped. left me with this: whether or not she has allergies, it depends on her level of comfort. If she is exhibiting behaviors that show she is super unhappy or misearble and it looks like it could be due to allergies, try the Children's Claritin and see if there is a difference. We did this test; no Claritin yesterday (she was more fussy yesterday) and Claritin today, and there definitely is a difference for us.

So for now, at least for the next month or 2, we're sticking w/the Claritin. Sorry this was so long. It's all just so fresh in my mind. I hope some of it may have helped you!

~Sandy/DD born via emergency C at 35 wks. June '03 due to Severe PE/class III HELLP/chronic HBP/asthma
sandy

Postby deerhart » Sat Mar 20, 2004 07:03 pm

by deerhart (3282 Posts), Sat Mar 20, 2004 07:03 pm

They will tell you allergies cannot be diagnoses at a very early age, because it takes at least 6 months of constant exposure to create an allergy (which really isn't that true but hey).
In addition, most allergy medications are not recommended for very young children.
With that said, my baby cousin was diagnosed at 6-8 months with cat allergies and allergy induced asthma. I also know that both my children do have allergies, but still being so young (oldest will be 4 in APril) they are still reluctant to test them until about age 5-6 and they are not to the point that they are deblitating to them yet. I also keep a very close eye on them for asthma symptomns as it is extremely strong in my family (like 75% of us have it)
Also, as kids get older they can grow out of allergies as they are more and more exposed to the items. The problem they have with diagnosising very young is that alot of people have seasonal allergies and thus its not quite possible to rteach that 6 month of exposure thing in 2-3 years if your only exposed to the allergen 1-2 months a year if that.
Erin

Moderator - First Time Moms, Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex and Mason
deerhart

Postby sherry fisher » Sun Mar 21, 2004 02:27 pm

by sherry fisher (384 Posts), Sun Mar 21, 2004 02:27 pm

Thanks all! I had not even though of Claritin for children. SO, we went to Wal Mart today and I picked up a bottle. I am certain it is allergies! I think it is more so the outside allergins that get him. Although, we do have a dog that we have had before him. However, I dont think that is it. Who knows though! :) I dont have allergies, but his father, (DH) has serious allergy problems! Yes, he rubs his eyes and ears constantly..especially when outside. His eyelids are red after coming inside, his eyes run while outside and then for an hour after coming inside. So, I am certain it is allergies.

I have to make his 18 mo shot appt. so I will ask then! Thanks again!

Sherry Fisher (28)
DH: Bill (35)
Proud Mama to:
#1) Alex 1/1/94-PE
#2) Abbie 12/17/97-PIH
#3 Will 08/03/02-PP PE
#4) EDD: 4/27/04 - Allyson Mae
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfish3/
Pregnancy Updates, ultrasound pictures, and the countdown: http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfish4/
sherry fisher

Return to After your baby is born .....