Hey Catherine..I have blood work questions

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Hey Catherine..I have blood work questions

Postby mada » Wed Mar 24, 2004 02:21 pm

Okay,
I finally picked up a copy of my charts from when I had Sam...I have been lookin gover them and doing some research on line about some of the levels described as bveing high on the charts. I never thought (because my doc said eveything was fine) I had any liver issues, but now I am wondering. My Alkaline phosphatase was 148
uric acid was 8.9
bilirubin was 1.7
seg neutrophil 78
Platlets were 218
and then in a note from the peri who delivered in denver it said my hematocrit was at 43%....Do you know anything about these labs. I know you have been able to answer many questions about this and was wondering if you had any input? Thanks a bunch!!! Mada

Mada Harpster

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Re : Hey Catherine..I have blood work questions

Postby sarab » Wed Mar 24, 2004 07:56 pm

Mada,

What a coincidence! I just got my hospital records too, and have been going over them today. I'm also interested to know what some of the lab results mean. Please, oh wise, scientist Catherine, enlighten us! [8D]

Sara, 23
Local Coordinator, Utah

DH, Scott, 25
Maggie Lylas, 6/9/03, 29 weeks, severe pre-e
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/maggielylas/
sarab
Site Admin

Postby catherine » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:21 pm

OK guys I hate to disappoint. It surely isn't my business to second guess the esteemed MDs who did so well by you.. and I won't. I will suggest that you check out Laura's links to test data "normals" for pregnant women... help me Ms"Lauramuller" the artist previously known as

The Uric acid value is a measure of kidney damage, alkaline phosphatase would be liver but not terribly specific, bilirubin is liver associated also, maybe gall bladder too, not quite sure of the relevance of the neutrophils because they are immune cells and so not really relevant (so far as I know... about as far as you can throw a stick) and then platelets, a good value because I don't think that anything higher than 150 is considered immediately a cause for concern. However, if you had subsequent blood draws and the number was tending downwards, I guess that wouldn't be considered a good sign.

The important thing to remember here is:

a) sometimes different hospitals do different tests, this will reflect local "protocols", basic measures that the services will do (eg. OB/GYN) to screen for different conditions and will also reflect what the chemistry lab onsite is certified to perform. So if you got moved from one hospital to another.. you might find that they ran different tests. An MD can certainly move from the significance of one from another but I can't.

b) these are excellent jumping off points to ask for explanations from your OBs when consulting about future plans. Things like.. why did you put/ was this note put in my chart? What were you anticipating? Is there any benefit in looking at these values now? Did everything go back to normal? If it didn't, should I be worried in the context of my general health? What if I want to have another baby?

Sorry, that I'm not more help. I'm not trying to CMA, it's just that there is a huge gulf between what I vaguely understand and practicing good medicine LOL!

Catherine
Mom to Finn, Lucy (preeclampsia and HELLP) and Chloe.
Moderator HELLP Syndrome Survivors
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby laura » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:49 pm

OK little catherine smarty-pants you just proved my point- in a year of posting nobody can ever remember how to spell my username! al- alt- alute- oh, nevermind, LAURA.

Speaking of the lab values for normal pregnant types- all my links are outdated! I'm still looking for a good one. My paranoid inner child is convinced they know we're looking for it, and is hiding those pages... I'll see what I can find!

Laura
Moderator/AK Coordinator

Mom to Alicia (severe PE) 5/98 and Camille (htn, oligo) 4/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby laura » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:51 pm

and if you guys want to refer to me as the "Ar-tist" I can't stop progress. You know me, humble to a fault...

Laura
Moderator/AK Coordinator

laura

Postby catherine » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:02 pm

Tikigodessling? Minorjefe? Incomprehensible symbol? Why are you posting so late at night anyway?

Catherine
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby laura » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:10 pm

ME? it's only 10 pm here- what the heck are YOU still doing up, Captain? Is yer grant done?

Laura
Moderator/AK Coordinator

laura

Postby catherine » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:14 pm

Yup, went monday. I'm trying to avoid the huge merlot hangover driving up behind me.. LOL! We went out tonight the best steakhouse in town because we were hosting a seminar speaker. Who just happens to be Lucy's godfather, far from home but visiting the States for a conference. It was a lot of fun, I'm very full and really tired. However, my bedroom is nearly done and I'm sleeping in my enchanted garden bed tonight!

Catherine
catherine
Forum Moderator

Return to After your baby is born .....