Postpartum Preeclampsia Anyone?

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
tracyremax@charter.net

Re : Postpartum Preeclampsia Anyone?

Postby tracyremax@charter.net » Tue May 04, 2004 02:05 pm

Oh boy can I relate. My son was born 9/01. It took me 3 months to stabalize my blood pressure. Then I fainted at home alone with my baby over medicated on bp meds. I had and still carry alot of anger about my situation. In my case I got sick PIH at 35 weeks and my doctors seemed to make many mistakes. I was never induced. My labor my son was born 2 days late!! was 29 hours long 3 hours pushing , No MAG and increasgly high blood pressure. My Doctor was in a practice with 5 other OB/GYN when I got sick my doctor was on vaction and the other doctors basically did not want to take responsibility for my care as they said they "played the odds" that it would not progress. Well they were very wrong and it almost cost me my life. I went to counseling for about 3 months after and was also put on CElexa for panic attacks which I never had prior to my illness. I reported my Doctor to the board and complained to the president of her group. She is still practicing so I guess not much was done. But I strongly believe that their mistakes are directly linked to the severeness of my illness. They failed me when I needed them most. Believe it or not I am over the trauma, I have changed doctors to a teaching hospital in Boston and have educated myself and learned that we have to be our own advocates. If we are unable to do that we need our husband and family to stand up and fight for us. Preeclampsia changed my life in so many ways. Some negative but many positive I do not take one moment for granted with my precious son. I have learned to educate myself and stand for myself and I do not take my health for granted as I saw how fast it can be taken away. I feel strongly that we need each other bc as I was recovering I could find noone who I could talk to in my area that had even heard of pe never mind know anybody that suffered from it. So in a very long response yes I did deal with alot of anger. I hope you are recovering and I also want to be there for the people that suffer pe after me as I know how badly they need to be supported.

TRacy in Massachusetts
mom to Billy 9/01
TTC #2

celticepona

Postby celticepona » Tue May 04, 2004 07:38 am

I can relate. My obs are really conservative, I was put on strict bedrest and induced at 37 weeks. I was not given magnesium sulfate, and had no idea that was an option. I was not given medication afterwards and was continued on bedrest for 2 weeks postpartum. After 2 weeks and I was still preclampsic, I was "cut loose' by my ob to my reg doctor and put on Altace and Norvasc for my bp, which is still high. I still have hyperreflexia. My mom is an RN and said that the Mag sulfate could have helped me during delivery. I deleivered after a 15 hour labor with no pain meds except for stadol, and have a beautiful healthy baby girl. I am concerned about permanent damage, and have mentioned my hyperreflexia to my reg doc who did not seem concerned. I am going back to them on wed to see my normal docotor who is a woman, and talk to her about the things I have learned on this forum. When I was let go by my ob, I was confused. They said I had a more chronic condition, and I was left asking...do I still have preclampsia? If not, why are my movements still jerky? After coming here, I know I still have the disease. I will not let pepole sluff me off now, and will do every thing in my power to get better.

sonja b.

Postby sonja b. » Tue May 04, 2004 04:53 am

Hello there. [:)] I am new to this site. I am wondering if there is anyone out there that ended up having a postpartum eclamptic seizure after being diagnosed with PE[?] I did 4 days after my first was born. Since then I have been seeing a neurologist and have been on seizure meds ever since. I was told by the Dr.'s that I was a rare situation, but I found out that things could've been done differently and that could've possibly prevented my seizure. Many things that are considered "the standard of care" were NOT followed by the hospital staff where I delivered my first born. Can anyone relate? Share with me how you are doing now? I have now been on meds for over 3 years and wonder if that'll ever change? How about you? Is anyone out there that feels as angry [:(!] as I do about going through something that most likely could've been prevented[?] I would love to hear how you are doing? Feel free to ask me anything about my situation, I want to be there for future moms to be, like I am for my friends. I don't want this to happen to anyone else. The most important thing is to NOT be intimidated by your Dr., that you as a mom know your body the best, what feels right and what feels wrong. Please don't be intimidated like I was if you feel that your Dr. is not taking you seriously.

celticepona

Postby celticepona » Mon May 03, 2004 05:32 pm

I am so glad to know I am not alone! I was diagnosed with mild preclampsia at 36 weeks, and was confined to bedrest on my left side. ONe week later, I had hyperreflexia, and my ob decided to induce me in two days. I developed the severe migranes, I went back to the hospital 3 times with them for non stress tests, but since they said my bp went down on my left side, that the headaches were not related to the preclampisa...I do not believe that. I delivered a healthy baby girl April 1st., My doc continued me on bedrest for two weeks, at my two week checkup, bp still up there, 150/101, so they sent me to my regular doctor and said it was a more chronic condition, they never said I still had preclampsia. My reg doc put me on Norvasc, one week later, my bp shot up to 176/123. I went back last monday, and they put me on Norvasc, Altace, and Celexa to try to calm me down. I have been on these meds for a week. My bp is all over the place, remains in the 130s/80s, or 90s most of the time, but sometimes shoots up to the 100s still. I still have hyperreflexia. I accidently tapped my baby on the forehead (not hard though)trying to put a pacifier in her mouth, my husband noticed it, and I never realized it. I feel twitchy all the time, especially when I get tired. My hands and legs jerk when I try to do simple tasks, do I have permanent nerve damage? Does anyone else have this? I am never getting pregnant again, this has scared me to death.

tracyremax@charter.net

Postby tracyremax@charter.net » Fri Apr 30, 2004 06:40 pm

What a story I am glad that everything turned alright for you. I was in the hospital 10 days postpartum and I thought that was alot. It seems you were in 21 days. God bless you.You are a warrior. The recovery must have been very slow as it took me months to bounce back from postpartum SeverePE.

TRacy in Massachusetts
Mom to Bill 9/01
TTC although scared

azschuffert

Postby azschuffert » Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:30 pm

I was rushed to the hospital at 35 wks with high bp and +5 protein in my urine and severe edema. My bp continued to rise over the next 24 hrs and I was placed on mag sulfate. Delivery was induced and I delivered my daughter, 4 lbs 8 oz. She was transferred to the NICU with minimal problems, where she remained for 7 days. I remained in the hospital for 8 days, bp still high. On day 8 I was released and suffered a seizure several hours after returning home. I was taken by ambulance back to the hospital, where I remained for 7 days, back on mag sulfate, bp's still high. 2 days after returning home I began to get severe headaches, checked my bp and it was 220/169. My husband rushed me to the ER and I was admitted AGAIN on mag sulfate for 6 days. BP has finally returned to normal, was on bp meds for over 8 months after delivery. Want to have another, but afraid to get pg again!

Alexis 06-07-03 severe pe, eclampsia

suzic77

Postby suzic77 » Fri Apr 09, 2004 03:35 am

I didn't start spilling protien till I was 36 weeks. Long story short, I finally had an emergency c-section during the third attempt to induce me. My blood pressure jumped up to 169/95 and to OR I went. I know it jumped even higher during the c-section. I was feeling alright the next morning as far as BP goes. Three days later, I went home. My BP was down in the hospital, but the day after I got home it was 150's/90's. I weighed more when I came home from the edemia than I did when I went IN to the hospital. My BP continued to stay high for a couple of weeks. It still jumps up once in awhile, but not more than 140's/70-80's. For the most part it is back to normal. Two and a half weeks after my daughter was born, I lost 12 pounds in 2 days. I started feeling better after that.

I was scared to take my BP at home PP because I didn't want to end up back in the hospital. I don't even know how high it really got. I only took it when I didn't really feel that bad. I probably should have checked though, but everything has turned out alright so far.

Suzi-26
Mark-38
Jacob-7
Marissa-12-05-02 PIH
Victoria-3-10-04 PE

jarnett

Postby jarnett » Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:51 am

I also had PE 6 days postpartum. I was so mad because I was being discharged and the nurse kept interuptting to take my BP. Well, that was a whole other issue b/c they kept using a manual BP cuff in the Postpartum unit and one cuff was too small and one was huge (how could they even CLAIM to have an accurate reading) I would have won this argument had I not started spilling protein in my urine again, thus making it a moot point. I was immediately taken back to L&D and placed back on the Mag. drip for 2 more days for a total of a 10 day hospital stay for 1 child..go figure.

Jen

beth3193

Postby beth3193 » Mon Apr 05, 2004 09:55 pm

I experienced severe PE postpartum as well. I began swelling and had rapid weight gain at about 33 weeks. BP was in the high 130/mid 80's but Dr. wasn't as concerned since we could get the BP to lower if I was on my left side. I was concerned as this was my 9th pregnancy and I only had 1 son who was born at 34 1/2 weeks. I was induced at 36 1/2 weeks after my water broke. No dilation after 36 hours and 7 hours of pitocin and BP was creeping into the 160-170's/90 so they wanted to start a mag drip. We opted for a repeat c-section.

Everything was good the first day post partum, but on day 2 my headache became stronger (I figured from the spinal) and I could see spots in my vision again - figured I was tired. Day 3 I had severe headache/migrane and moderately high BP - Dr. did CT scan and MRI to rule out brain bleed or minor stroke. Morphine took away pain. Was put on Mag drip to control BP. Day 4 was unresponsive and slumped over in bed - I was aware of what was going on around me but couldn't respond. BP was 200/120 and spent 3 days in ICU and 8 days total in hospital.

Not until my 8 week check did I realize how serious my condition was. They thought I had a stroke. I'm grateful that I opted for the c-section so I was still in the hospital when the symptoms reappeared. I would have shrugged them off to "I just had a baby" and don't know what would have happened if it had remained untreated.

My dr. has encouraged us to not have more children since this didn't follow the typical PE case. I didn't have PE in my 1st preganancy, don't have high BP normally, am not in the age categories, etc. She is worried that it would be more severe in a subsequent pregnancy.

I was also told that post-partum problems were rare. Its comforting for me to see that I'm not the only one who had a unique experience. I just thank God every day that my daughter (now 11 weeks old) and I are healthy.

beth3193

Postby beth3193 » Mon Apr 05, 2004 09:42 pm

quote:
Originally posted by Tammy

I was 8 days postpartum visiting my son in the nicu when I saw a doctor from from obgyn's office and I asked if I should be seen earlier since I had Pe and my PP visit was scheduled for 4 weeks PP and she said stop in Monday. Well 10 days PP I was rushed back to L&D to be placed on a mag drip and hospialized for 4 days. my pressure was higher then when they decided to induce me. I felt horrible the whole week after my son was born, but I thought it was the fact that I hadn't rested and was traveling back and forth to the hospital to visit. THEY told me delivery was the cure, boy is that not always the case. I am currenlty 5 months PP and continue on b/p meds, but I am on a slightly lower dosage then I was 3 months ago.

Tammy

liam-34weeks/pe-10/26/03

Return to “After your baby is born .....”