Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Postpartum Preeclampsia Anyone?

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Re : Postpartum Preeclampsia Anyone?

Postby celticepona » Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:01 am

by celticepona (1273 Posts), Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:01 am

Valchemist...I am still on meds, it controls my bp, but mine still shoots waaayyy up there when I am stressed. My doc still believes that my bp probs are preeclampsia to this date, perhaps this disease makes us more prone to high pressure spikes when we stress?

DD Emily born 4-01-04 at 37 weeks due to severe PE/Eclampsia. Currently postpartum.
preeclampsic/hyperreflexic. On medication.

http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/e/emilyfionaspage/
celticepona

Postby kdreher » Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:23 am

by kdreher (2482 Posts), Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:23 am

Well, I never would have thought of postpartum eclampsia, but my sister has it right now. (I keep reading PE, but he docs said E). She delivered at full term, had excellent b/p during her pregnancy. She did had toxemia 11 yrs ago with her son. On Wednesday, she complained of having a migrane, trouble breathing, and a rapid heartbeat. She had gone into the docs office for Zoloft (getting the "blues") so I babysat for a few hours. Her b/p was 150/100 but the nurse sent her home. At 4:30pm, I was back at her house an her dh took her to the walk-in clinic. Long story short, by 8pm she was transported via ambulance to the hospital she gave birth at, back to the maternity ward. Her b/p was as high as 210/105, heart rate dropped to 35 (very low), swollen liver, protein in urine. This was exactly 1 week after her daughter's birth. She will be in the hospital for a few more days. Currently on magnesium sulfate and demoral. B/P is good, urine still showing, and still nursing a headache. Saturation was low so she is on oxygen.

I am so sad for her, and shocked. I knew something was wrong that day though. As you may or may not know, I had eclampsia and HELLP at 26 +1 day, in 1995. I know she will make a full recovery.

Kris (34)
DH, Tom (33)
Tyler 3-9-95 to 3-23-95 (26 wks pe/HELLP)

tkstevens@sbcglobal.net or kstevens@cga.uscg.mil
kdreher

Postby arj » Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:35 am

by arj (1251 Posts), Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:35 am

I'm so sorry that happened to your sister. They shouldn't have sent her home with a BP of 150/100!!! I continued my bout with PE after having my son and spent almost a week in the hospital with BPs close to hers. I was mad that they wouldn't let me just go home because I felt fine, but now that I look back on it, I'm glad that they kept me. You just never know what can happen! I hope your sister gets better soon. The post-partum period is hard enough to deal with, let alone with complications.

Allison (28)
DS-Evan, 7/19/2003. PE at 40 weeks
arj

Postby celticepona » Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:25 am

by celticepona (1273 Posts), Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:25 am

I just visited my doctor for my 10 week postpartum checkup. She says I look much better, and am less puffy. I still need to stay on all of my medication for another 6 weeks and get checked again. She says the bp is better, was 130/74 today[:D], but it is still not low relatively speaking, after looking at my bp log. She says I am getting better and am not 100 percent yet. I still have hyperreflexia in my legs, but the arms are better. I still twitch and jerk when I get tired, but I am starting to feel like I am getting better control of my movements 75 percent of the time. I go back to work at my summer job on Sunday, I work at a National Park as a seasonal ranger, and will be spending alot of time outside...I Am looking forward to a little normalcy after this ordeal. a coworker of mine there had preeclampsia, delivered at 36 weeks, but she was cleared at 3 weeks postpartum...(THAnk god!) so we have some stories to share. Anyway, for those who are battling this postpartum nightmare....HANG IN THERE!!!!!!!! There is light at the end of the tunnel. A friend of my mother's is 5 mos postpartum, and is just starting to get over preeclampsia herself. For some of us it is a long road to recovery, but we have each other here to help us along.

God Bless.....[:I]

DD Emily born 4-01-04 at 37 weeks due to severe PE/Eclampsia. Currently postpartum.
preeclampsic/hyperreflexic. On medication.

http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/e/emilyfionaspage/
celticepona

Previous

Return to After your baby is born .....